View Full Version : Pirelli Diablo Rosso II Tires

Pages : [1] 2 3

akima
December 23rd, 2011, 01:02 PM
As of 2011 they do these tires in a suitable size for the Ninjette:
110/70 front and 140/70 rear

Despite the BT 003 tires being so popular in here I'm considering going for these Purelli's instead. They have more tread (good for rainy British weather) and they are slightly cheaper.

Anyone had any experience with them?

Alex
December 23rd, 2011, 01:27 PM
No experience with them myself. Reviews seem positive, here's one:

http://www.motorcycle-usa.com/402/10307/Motorcycle-Article/Pirelli-Diablo-Rosso-II-Tire-Review.aspx

/moved to new-gen tech :thumbup:

akima
December 23rd, 2011, 01:48 PM
Thanks for the link... and how dare you move me!

;)

00NissanNinja
December 23rd, 2011, 02:04 PM
Seriously?! :bangdesk:

These would have been probably the best tires for me since I go to the track and do a lot of street riding. Dang it...Well now I know what I am getting next.

Alex
December 23rd, 2011, 02:16 PM
Looks like the 140 width is available here in the US as well, at least at motorcycle superstore: link (http://www.motorcycle-superstore.com/1/28/394/35011/ITEM/Pirelli-Diablo-Rosso-II-Rear-Tire.aspx)

Nemesis
December 23rd, 2011, 02:20 PM
Too bad they don't offer contingency.

I wonder if these are the same tires Rexbo tried.

saxnbass
January 3rd, 2012, 03:47 PM
How would these compare/differ from the Sport Demons for street riding and commuting? I'm in the market for new tyres and can't decide between the two.

NDspd
January 3rd, 2012, 04:44 PM
How would these compare/differ from the Sport Demons for street riding and commuting? I'm in the market for new tyres and can't decide between the two.

Same question I had for myself.

00NissanNinja
January 3rd, 2012, 05:01 PM
Well they are positioned as sport tires for the road so they probably will have good tread life on a 250 (how long a life who knows). They are also radials and the rear tire is made of two compounds with softer rubber on the shoulders. Just came out with a size that can fit the 250s rim so it'll probably be awhile before someone gets a set. I probably will try them once my tires are done.

ninja_thresh_hold
January 3rd, 2012, 05:11 PM
As of 2011 they do these tires in a suitable size for the Ninjette:
110/70 front and 140/70 rear

Despite the BT 003 tires being so popular in here I'm considering going for these Purelli's instead. They have more tread (good for rainy British weather) and they are slightly cheaper.

Anyone had any experience with them?

you lucky ass british bastard!! you have stock fuel injection, i had to do mine myself!

akima
January 4th, 2012, 12:01 PM
you lucky ass british bastard!! you have stock fuel injection, i had to do mine myself!

:p

I haven't been as lucky as you might think. My bike has been in a garage for a fortnight on account of the fuel injection system failing (more specifically, a part of the throttle body). It's under warranty so it didn't cost me anything to fix, but it was still annoying to be out of a bike for that time!

Much respect for adding FI to your bike. It sounds like a time-consuming and complicated process with lots of trial and error.

LoD575
January 5th, 2012, 09:50 AM

I will be going with the rosso II's. Planning on having a set for the up coming riding season.

Bols
January 5th, 2012, 10:06 AM
I'm using the first version of the Diablo Rosso (120/60 and 150/60), and I'm very pleased with their performance. Will definitely grab the Diablo Rosso II when it's time for changing :thumbup:

CC Cowboy
January 5th, 2012, 04:19 PM
I have some Pirellis and I love them. I'm not sure which ones ( they're the round ones) but I've used them on the street and track and they haven't let me down either way.

NDspd
January 5th, 2012, 04:57 PM
I'm using the first version of the Diablo Rosso (120/60 and 150/60), and I'm very pleased with their performance. Will definitely grab the Diablo Rosso II when it's time for changing :thumbup:

How many miles do you have on them?

Bols
January 5th, 2012, 05:03 PM
How many miles do you have on them?
About 4.500-5.000km so far;)

NDspd
January 5th, 2012, 10:16 PM
Cool! Let me know how long they last.

LoD575
January 15th, 2012, 02:20 AM
I ordered a set from MSS and they should be here around 01/18. Depending on weather I will probably mount them mid to late Feb.

akima
January 15th, 2012, 04:06 AM
I ordered a set from MSS and they should be here around 01/18. Depending on weather I will probably mount them mid to late Feb.

Great! Look forward to hearing your experience with them.

choneofakind
January 19th, 2012, 05:00 PM
It sounds like a time-consuming and complicated process with lots of trial and error.

So's jetting... ;)

alex.s
January 19th, 2012, 05:05 PM
I have some Pirellis and I love them. I'm not sure which ones ( they're the round ones) but I've used them on the street and track and they haven't let me down either way.

interesting. my last set of pirelli sport demons were rather square after i was done with them :confused:

LoD575
January 19th, 2012, 05:12 PM
MSS must have dropped the ball on shipping. Ordered the tires early Friday morning, estimated shipping should have put them here on 01/18. Received shipping email on 01/17 stating they should arrive on 01/23.

I will post some pics when they arrive. I will be glad to ditch the stock IRC's.

NDspd
January 19th, 2012, 09:08 PM
MSS must have dropped the ball on shipping. Ordered the tires early Friday morning, estimated shipping should have put them here on 01/18. Received shipping email on 01/17 stating they should arrive on 01/23.

I will post some pics when they arrive. I will be glad to ditch the stock IRC's.

Huh...bummer. I can't wait either.

tac12345
January 20th, 2012, 05:05 PM
interesting thread :)

NathanUc
January 20th, 2012, 11:38 PM
interesting. my last set of pirelli sport demons were rather square after i was done with them :confused:

Mine are also getting pretty square :( Commuting and all this winter riding isn't helping much. Wish I could find a spare cheap set of rims to alternate tires when at the track and riding aggressively.

LoD575
January 23rd, 2012, 04:47 PM
With a knock on the door from UPS the tires arrived today.

Here are some quick pics.
http://i457.photobucket.com/albums/qq298/Aries_Blue2k3/Motorcycle/IMG_1598.jpg

http://i457.photobucket.com/albums/qq298/Aries_Blue2k3/Motorcycle/IMG_1600.jpg

http://i457.photobucket.com/albums/qq298/Aries_Blue2k3/Motorcycle/IMG_1601.jpg

http://i457.photobucket.com/albums/qq298/Aries_Blue2k3/Motorcycle/IMG_1602.jpg

http://i457.photobucket.com/albums/qq298/Aries_Blue2k3/Motorcycle/IMG_1604.jpg

http://i457.photobucket.com/albums/qq298/Aries_Blue2k3/Motorcycle/IMG_1603.jpg

Using my extremely technical finger test I found the tire compound to be much softer and stickier compared to the IRC's.

I am looking forward to having these mounted and hitting some twisties.

akima
January 23rd, 2012, 04:59 PM
Thanks for the pics! Love your highly technical test! You should get that peer reviewed :p Once they're on and they're a bit worn in, tell us if they feel any different.

I'm guessing you know to take it easy when they've first been installed. Sorry if I sound like a noob giving you advice - just want to make sure you know though. Don't like seeing people get hurt or messing up their bikes on this forum.

LoD575
January 23rd, 2012, 05:11 PM
Thanks for the pics! Love your highly technical test! You should get that peer reviewed :p Once they're on and they're a bit worn in, tell us if they feel any different.

I'm guessing you know to take it easy when they've first been installed. Sorry if I sound like a noob giving you advice - just want to make sure you know though. Don't like seeing people get hurt or messing up their bikes on this forum.

Should never feel like a noob for giving advice on the matter. I know about new tires, protective coating, and taking it easy.
I learned about srubbing tires early on during my drag racing days.

massacremasses
January 23rd, 2012, 05:18 PM
sexy damn I was thinking about the sport demons but maybe I should grab these? You commute at all?

LoD575
January 23rd, 2012, 05:41 PM
sexy damn I was thinking about the sport demons but maybe I should grab these? You commute at all?

I was planning on getting the Sport Demons but was wanting a radial. Thanks to Akima :D for the original post I decided to go with the Rosso II's.

My bike is for pure enjoyment. I do not commute on a daily basis with the bike thanks to a company vehicle.

Even if I get 5k miles out of the set I feel the price is well justified.

The price difference is negligible between the sport demons and rosso II.

saxnbass
January 23rd, 2012, 06:50 PM
I was thinking about the sport demons but maybe I should grab these? You commute at all?

I commute on mine, and I plan on getting those Rosso IIs

massacremasses
January 23rd, 2012, 07:28 PM
SCHWEEET. I was told to get radial tires...

NDspd
January 23rd, 2012, 11:20 PM
pics snipped

00NissanNinja
January 24th, 2012, 12:13 AM
Aww man, now I want to get these tires and just get rid of my other ones. Its okay though, I don't have the money ...

saxnbass
January 26th, 2012, 11:17 PM
http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7168/6769403189_3234e39d50_z.jpg

So I need new tyres, evidently. Just wanted to check with you guys what sizes to get.

Rear (http://www.motorcycle-superstore.com/1/28/394/35011/ITEM/Pirelli-Diablo-Rosso-II-Rear-Tire.aspx): 140/70ZR-17
Front (http://www.motorcycle-superstore.com/1/28/394/35009/ITEM/Pirelli-Diablo-Rosso-II-Front-Tire.aspx): 110/70R-17 or 110/70ZR-17 ? (What's that difference between the Z and non-Z?)

massacremasses
January 27th, 2012, 08:03 AM
Oh dang I just noticed that as well... I just was gonna get the cheaper non Z one.

Does anyone know?

oreX
January 27th, 2012, 08:05 AM
http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7168/6769403189_3234e39d50_z.jpg

So I need new tyres, evidently. Just wanted to check with you guys what sizes to get.

Rear (http://www.motorcycle-superstore.com/1/28/394/35011/ITEM/Pirelli-Diablo-Rosso-II-Rear-Tire.aspx): 140/70ZR-17
Front (http://www.motorcycle-superstore.com/1/28/394/35009/ITEM/Pirelli-Diablo-Rosso-II-Front-Tire.aspx): 110/70R-17 or 110/70ZR-17 ? (What's that difference between the Z and non-Z?)

Does anyone know if its even safe to patch something like this on a bike? Its happened a few times to my car, and the tire shops do it on the cheap for like $20. I'm not sure I would trust a patch or plug in a bike.

massacremasses
January 27th, 2012, 08:14 AM
with a leak on a car you might get flat and have to pull over...

with a leak on a motorcylce you might crash and die...

I wouldnt trust a patch.

reaubideux
January 27th, 2012, 08:15 AM
Oh dang I just noticed that as well... I just was gonna get the cheaper non Z one.

Does anyone know?

It's for the speed rating. The Z would have a speed rating of 149mph+ (assuming the same rating from car tires translates over to motorcycle tire speed ratings). You'd be fine with the non-Z rated tires since the 250 can't get to 150mph unless you strapped some rockets to it. :p

massacremasses
January 27th, 2012, 08:17 AM
Probably the speed rating. The Z would have a speed rating of 149mph+ (assuming the same rating from car tires translates over to motorcycle tire speed ratings). You'd be fine with the non-Z rated tires since the 250 can't get to 150mph unless you strapped some rockets to it. :p

ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

good to know! Thanks!

choneofakind
January 27th, 2012, 01:26 PM
the 250 can't get to 150mph unless you strapped some rockets to it.

Huh?? Maybe there's something wrong with your ninja then. Mine does 60 in 4 flat, and tops out at like 155 :rolleyes:

massacremasses
January 27th, 2012, 02:06 PM
I do wheelies at 155 MPH all damn day

LoD575
January 27th, 2012, 07:47 PM
The speed rating of the tires is severe overkill for the bike.

Firehorse
January 28th, 2012, 06:43 AM
Does anyone know if its even safe to patch something like this on a bike? Its happened a few times to my car, and the tire shops do it on the cheap for like $20. I'm not sure I would trust a patch or plug in a bike.

Mushroom plugs are very popular and people use them on sport bikes all the time with no problems.
They suggest finding a old tire to practice on first so the plug you put in your 'good' tire will be done right. And carry a patch kit with you if you can fit it in the lovely spacious ninja trunk...:rolleyes:

akima
January 28th, 2012, 03:07 PM
if you can fit it in the lovely spacious ninja trunk...:rolleyes:

The ninjette has dignity... she's no pack mule! :p

saxnbass
February 2nd, 2012, 03:44 PM
This just arrived at my door step:

http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7006/6808952447_d7ccc32107_b.jpg

Why yes, yes they are
http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7028/6808953729_dc432717d0_z.jpg

My thoughts so far? They smell alright, feel nice, look clean, but don't taste all that good. :D

Going to have them installed on Saturday. Will report back then with first impressions.

ForceofWill
February 2nd, 2012, 04:04 PM
I kinda wish I knew about these when I bought my Sport Demons a month ago. Oh well, I won't be able to out ride mine for a long time anyway.

I do love the smell of new rubber in the morning though. Get those babies mounted. Might as well have the wheels powdercoated while they're off :D

saxnbass
February 2nd, 2012, 04:05 PM
Want to pay for the powder coating for me? :D

I like the look of my wheels the way they are; I wouldn't want them powder coated anyways.

massacremasses
February 2nd, 2012, 04:05 PM
word. to bad you are so far away Eric. Id love to do your rims a shiny red :D

choneofakind
February 2nd, 2012, 04:28 PM
Might as well have the wheels powdercoated while they're off :D

Aren't your rims already PC gold?

massacremasses
February 2nd, 2012, 04:34 PM
Want to pay for the powder coating for me? :D

I like the look of my wheels the way they are; I wouldn't want them powder coated anyways.

blasphemy.

PC>stock

matha028
February 2nd, 2012, 04:37 PM
I will be going with the rosso II's. Planning on having a set for the up coming riding season.

"Riding season"?

ForceofWill
February 2nd, 2012, 04:41 PM
Aren't your rims already PC gold?

Mine are yeah, I was trying to peer pressure Sax into it. :thumbup:

NDspd
February 2nd, 2012, 04:47 PM
Let us know how those pirellis work!!! I want to know how they handle and how they wear.

JulioXa
February 3rd, 2012, 05:41 AM

Hi Bols, Did you change the rear rim to a 4.5"? Or is it OEM size? Can I fit your tyres on OEM rims?

Julioxa

akima
February 3rd, 2012, 12:01 PM
My thoughts so far? They smell alright, feel nice, look clean, but don't taste all that good. :D

Glad I wasn't drinking when I read that! :happy10:

Did this thread inspire you to get them? If so, that makes me feel good! Hope these tyres work out for you.

In the summer I'm going to buy these tyres and an Area-P exhaust and install them at the same time to get some more performance out of my beautiful lil ninjette :)

saxnbass
February 3rd, 2012, 01:23 PM
Yes, yes it did. I'm getting them put on tomorrow, I'm very excited. If it wasn't for this thread, I would have ended up with the Sport Demons

nixthewiz
February 3rd, 2012, 02:04 PM
Always good to see more tire choices. I think these should last longer than the sport demon due to the dual compound right?

Now I can't wait until my stock wears out...

akima
February 3rd, 2012, 02:34 PM
Always good to see more tire choices.

Definitely!

I think these should last longer than the sport demon due to the dual compound right?

That's the idea. Hard long lasting material on the inside and softer, grippier but quicker wearing material on your chicken strips!

Now I can't wait until my stock wears out...

I'm not going to wait for that to happen. I'm going to buy these new tyres in the summer, then clean and wrap up my stock tyres nicely so if ever I damage my Pirelli's and I'm low on cash, I have a spare pair of tyres in reserve waiting to be installed.

choneofakind
February 3rd, 2012, 10:22 PM
That's the spirit akima! Get the new rubber on asap :p

If you ever do need to put the stock tires back on, check them thoroughly for dry-rot.

massacremasses
February 3rd, 2012, 10:24 PM
I WILL GET THESES AS SOON AS SOMEONE BUYS MY DAMN BASS AMP!!

anyone?

saxnbass
February 3rd, 2012, 10:27 PM
If I didn't need a new amp, I would. I'm completely content with my amp though, have been since I got it. Though, it doesn't do me much good without my bass at the moment. Having some severe withdrawal *shakes uncontrollably*

massacremasses
February 3rd, 2012, 10:31 PM
lol this would be a bitch to ship. Its a traynor head with some random cab. trying to get like $500 for it

saxnbass
February 3rd, 2012, 10:37 PM
I know, I've seen the thread and ad.

Graugaard
February 4th, 2012, 04:51 AM
I heard that the sport demons are better for riding in rain, and since im going to do that, i have the sport demons on, but might consider these.

Bols
February 4th, 2012, 05:21 AM
Hi Bols, Did you change the rear rim to a 4.5"? Or is it OEM size? Can I fit your tyres on OEM rims?

Julioxa
Hi, (just to clarify, I'm using the Rosso I version, not the Rosso II) yes they do fit fine on my OEM rims! I was afraid of them rubbing against the chainguard or the inside of the swingarm, since I've heard some Pirelli tires will rub in 150. But it was no problems at all.:thumbup:

When I bought those tires in the fall of 2010, I could not find any info on anyone having them on the 250R. I just have a weak spot for Pirelli and gave them a go:D

klewi
February 5th, 2012, 09:22 AM
I heard that the sport demons are better for riding in rain, and since im going to do that, i have the sport demons on, but might consider these.

This was my question. Where did you hear/read this? Anyone else have an opinion on Sport Demon vs Rosso in the rain?

ninjabrewer
February 5th, 2012, 11:17 AM
I have the sport demons on my bike and they ride MUCH better than the ones that were mounted when I bought it, although they did last a good long time. Can't compare them to the Rossi's (yet). One question. When you get your tires, where do you get them mounted? Do you mount them your self? Take them to a dealer? Wouldn't a dealer over charge you if you didn't buy "their tires"?

nb

saxnbass
February 5th, 2012, 01:03 PM
http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7153/6825064749_ffd796e1ee_b.jpg

http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7001/6825063611_d315f8a2b0_b.jpg

There are two pics of the rear tyre. If anybody wants to see the front installed too, let me know and I'll get that uploaded and posted.

My thoughts so far? Damn they're nice. I'm really loving them. I honestly never really understood what people meant when they said that the tyres make the bike feel planted; I know what they mean now. You lean the bike over and it feel like it's going to stay there. It doesn't fall into corners, it rolls into them, and doesn't feel like it would slip or give way or anything of that sort. So much nicer than the stock ones. Those IRCs really are as crappy as people say they are. It hasn't rained here yet, so I haven't tried them out in wet conditions and I haven't pushed them too hard yet as they only have 125 miles on them (had them put on yesterday).

00NissanNinja
February 5th, 2012, 01:07 PM
Those are looking good:thumbup: I hate to get rid of good tires but I am really tempted to go ahead and get those rosso II in a couple months. I remember after going to the track with my michelins I wasn't as tired after riding a few sessions as I was with the IRCs. With the IRCs I was constantly maintaining the bikes lines and constantly having to correct.

NDspd
February 5th, 2012, 01:09 PM
Dude^^^ thanks for the short review!! I'm going with the rosso II's when I finish up my crappy IRC's. How long does it take to warm them up?

massacremasses
February 5th, 2012, 01:34 PM
yeah ugh. I need to get THESE DAMNIT!! lol

saxnbass
February 5th, 2012, 02:29 PM
Dude^^^ thanks for the short review!! I'm going with the rosso II's when I finish up my crappy IRC's. How long does it take to warm them up?

They warm up fast. From the shop to home was about 3 miles, maybe 4. I got home and they were warm to the touch.

NDspd
February 5th, 2012, 03:09 PM
They warm up fast. From the shop to home was about 3 miles, maybe 4. I got home and they were warm to the touch.

That's good to hear...thanks!!

saxnbass
February 5th, 2012, 03:54 PM
Front one:

http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7142/6826053383_62df28bf33_b.jpg

And kind of both. Mmm, sexy :D

http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7012/6830465445_051a68b5c7_b.jpg

akima
February 6th, 2012, 12:28 PM
saxnbass: Those tires look better than the stock ones I have. Not sure why though. They're both the same size.

Your bike's looking nice in general. Looking over it, the only bit which stands out a bit is the tail end. The rear light mounting and the number plate holder have a cheap-plastic look. Everything else looks really nice. There are mods to sort both of those out. I'm sure you already have plans to buy them!

saxnbass
February 6th, 2012, 01:25 PM
saxnbass: Those tires look better than the stock ones I have. Not sure why though. They're both the same size.

The Pirelli is a 140 rear, the stock has a 130 rear, so not quite the same size. But yes, they do look better than the stock IRCs.

LoD575
February 6th, 2012, 03:05 PM
I'm waiting for the temps to warm up a little before I have mine installed.

Thanks for the quick write up.

austinm911
February 15th, 2012, 09:39 PM
Can someone explain the advantages and disadvantageous between bias ply and radial ? I kind of know the differences, but I just want to solidify my knowledge.

And i read recently on Sport Rider "scrubbing" your tires in is a myth. If I remember correctly it stated that the protective coating applied to the tire is only on the sidewall. And back then, they couldn't accurately manufacture tires as they do now, so scrubbing was important. It noted you just need the tires warmed up.

The Pirelli is a 140 rear, the stock has a 130 rear, so not quite the same size. But yes, they do look better than the stock IRCs.

How's the 140 working for you?

I'm gonna pick up a set of Rosso II's soon. I definitely need them. I was riding over the weekend with a group on some wet roads (it rained the night before/morning of) and my IRC tires were making me nervous. I'm over here with my boot almost on the ground and here I am feeling my tail sliding around.

saxnbass
February 15th, 2012, 10:39 PM
I really can't say the difference between a 130 and 140 on the bike, since I changed tyre and size. I can, however, say that I these tyres are in every way superior to the stock IRC ones.

choneofakind
February 16th, 2012, 07:50 AM
And i read recently on Sport Rider "scrubbing" your tires in is a myth. If I remember correctly it stated that the protective coating applied to the tire is only on the sidewall. And back then, they couldn't accurately manufacture tires as they do now, so scrubbing was important. It noted you just need the tires warmed up.

Even though they no longer use the protective coating on the tread, brand new tires are still slick until the shiny part that was directly on the mold wears off. Ask anyone on here who's recently gotten new tires. Yes that brand new, slick, shiny surface wears off within about 50 miles, but you still need to be careful on them until you're accustomed to the new tire, and you've gotten rid of that funky shiny part.

NDspd
February 16th, 2012, 07:56 AM
Yep, an of course it supposed to rain all weekend here in Savannah. Hope a dry spell comes in so I can scrub in all areas of the tire.

abhijitz
February 16th, 2012, 09:18 AM
Just to let everyone know, the race compound for these tires are now available in US. The top NorCal AFM riders tested these and were pleased. Contact CTRacing (they are the sole distibutors for NorCal,SoCal,Oregon].

austinm911
February 16th, 2012, 08:48 PM
Just to let everyone know, the race compound for these tires are now available in US. The top NorCal AFM riders tested these and were pleased. Contact CTRacing (they are the sole distibutors for NorCal,SoCal,Oregon].
But their smallest tire is 160?

abhijitz
February 16th, 2012, 10:30 PM
nope .. 110/70F and 140/70R .. Special tires with a different tread pattern straight from the 250 Europe classes. Mid year there is going to be a new tread pattern readily available in US.

Contact Chris @ CT Racing for bulk pricing :thumbup

But their smallest tire is 160?

Cam0
February 18th, 2012, 03:13 AM
I love to get a set of these! as far as I know they aren't in Aus yet and most online stores aren't shipping to Aus or worth it! Argh!

NDspd
February 18th, 2012, 09:42 AM
Ok, guys I really have to tell ya...

These Pirelli's are AMAZING, they a freaking night and day compared to those $#!ttY IRC's. I've got already 150 miles or so in them and I can't wait for more. I also say they corner like they are literally glued.

I'll make a separate thread for a detailed review here in a few days.

akima
February 18th, 2012, 12:48 PM
Ok, guys I really have to tell ya...

These Pirelli's are AMAZING, they a freaking night and day compared to those $#!ttY IRC's. I've got already 150 miles or so in them and I can't wait for more. I also say they corner like they are literally glued.

I'll make a separate thread for a detailed review here in a few days.

So arguably it's worth upgrading *before* our IRCs are worn out to gain the additional... safety features... of having super grippy tyres! :D (looking for any excuse)

atomicrm
February 18th, 2012, 01:24 PM
I use my bike as a daily commuter. how long will these last you think? is it worth the money if most of my riding will not be "spirited"? dont wanna waste the sticky pirellis of course

Bols
February 18th, 2012, 02:08 PM
So arguably it's worth upgrading *before* our IRCs are worn out to gain the additional... safety features... of having super grippy tyres! :D (looking for any excuse)
Thats exactly what I did, upgraded for my own safety, and it was totally worth it!:D

saxnbass
February 18th, 2012, 02:32 PM
I use my bike as a daily commuter. how long will these last you think? is it worth the money if most of my riding will not be "spirited"? dont wanna waste the sticky pirellis of course

I put them on my bike and I commute daily on them. The centre is a hard compound for longevity, the sides are softer and stickier. I'd say go for it; I did. :D

NDspd
February 18th, 2012, 04:59 PM

There is a significant difference in many way. I'd say go for it man. Just to let you guys know, I pulled an Isle of Mann TT near where I live in Savannah, GA. There is an island that has a beautiful stretch of pavement. I had so much confidence in my tires that I was going WOT through some awesome turns. I was going a high rate of speed, but very controlled using all the surface of my tires. They are seriously planted and respond very well to every input I put into the bike. Again I'll put a full review in a few days...really after I take my long trip to Charlotte.

It really depends how you ride, road conditions, temperature and many other variables. Some might get 6,000 to 10,000 miles, so no one can be really sure. You won't waist your money on Pirellis man, they are really well worth it.

TheJimmyEnglish
February 18th, 2012, 05:06 PM
I was just about to get these but i opted for the Michelin Pilot Power in a 150 instead.. anyone know about how the tread life is on the Rosso II?

Cam0
February 18th, 2012, 05:15 PM
Any idea's on where to get them on the net with international shipping? Revzilla is the cheapest but no quote to get them to Aus ;(

NDspd
February 18th, 2012, 05:41 PM
Any idea's on where to get them on the net with international shipping? Revzilla is the cheapest but no quote to get them to Aus ;(

You're probably gonna have to call them. That's what I would do. I bought mine through Revzilla as well.

atomicrm
February 18th, 2012, 06:28 PM
It really depends how you ride, road conditions, temperature and many other variables. Some might get 6,000 to 10,000 miles, so no one can be really sure. You won't waist your money on Pirellis man, they are really well worth it.

I would be happy with 5000. Sold!

NDspd
February 18th, 2012, 06:40 PM
I would be happy with 5000. Sold!

Haha, you'd be surprised how much you'll ride in the future. A good tire should get you more than 6,000.

Go for it man, you will not be let down.

LoD575
February 18th, 2012, 10:41 PM
I'm really looking forward to having them installed. Hopefully only a couple more weeks.

Skippii
February 19th, 2012, 07:20 AM
If I didn't need a new amp, I would. I'm completely content with my amp though, have been since I got it. Though, it doesn't do me much good without my bass at the moment. Having some severe withdrawal *shakes uncontrollably*

Well I've got 13 basses but only 4 amps, so maybe I do need another one...
Posted via Mobile Device

Cam0
February 20th, 2012, 06:35 PM
No joy with Revzilla they won't ship to Aus and Pirelli Australia have confirmed they wont be released here, yay!

NDspd
February 20th, 2012, 07:05 PM
No joy with Revzilla they won't ship to Aus and Pirelli Australia have confirmed they wont be released here, yay!

Ahh, man...so sorry. I'm sure there has to be some way. Don't give up hope man, but don't spend a fortune either.

Cam0
February 20th, 2012, 07:08 PM
Well I can get the 110 in aus for about 180 and the rear from the states for 220... thats a bit pricey still though. I will figure this out though!

massacremasses
February 20th, 2012, 07:14 PM
$220 altogether?

Cam0
February 20th, 2012, 07:19 PM
nah, $220 for the rear shipped and $180 for the front locally so about 400 before fitting which is a fair way off other tyres for the ninja here!

massacremasses
February 20th, 2012, 07:42 PM
:eek: thats not cheap....
im starting a donation fund for myself....and its only 210 here hahaha jk jk

Cam0
February 20th, 2012, 08:10 PM
I know they are 210 from revzilla even if it was $100 to ship them it would be worth it!

massacremasses
February 20th, 2012, 08:26 PM
thats a bummer

NDspd
February 20th, 2012, 10:20 PM
I know they are 210 from revzilla even if it was $100 to ship them it would be worth it!

To make you feel a tiny bit better my local dealer quoted me $400 if I ordered the tires through them and had them install it.

It was literally a $113 difference, when I bought the tires myself.

There are other tires out there man, I feel terrible you can't get them.

oreX
February 22nd, 2012, 08:39 AM

I wonder how much it would cost if someone in the states (or EU) purchased them for you and shipped them to you themselves. Yah it may take longer, but at least you would get them.

oreX
February 22nd, 2012, 10:09 AM
Yeah so I ordered these just after my last post. I'm gonna go sit by the door and wait.

massacremasses
February 22nd, 2012, 10:34 AM
Im about to just put them on my credit card...

choneofakind
February 22nd, 2012, 11:52 AM
^ don't do it justin. Bad idea. Credit card isn't a crutch to get things you want. Credit card is a way to responsibly gain some history of payments and such. :)

massacremasses
February 22nd, 2012, 12:00 PM
haha I am still paying them off for stuff I needed.

NDspd
February 22nd, 2012, 12:12 PM
Yeah so I ordered these just after my last post. I'm gonna go sit by the door and wait.

I did the exact same thing.

NDspd
February 26th, 2012, 10:58 AM
I'm gonna do a video review instead...doing it today.

LoD575
February 26th, 2012, 06:21 PM
Looking forward to it.

choneofakind
February 26th, 2012, 06:28 PM
I'm gonna do a video review instead...doing it today.

Lots of vroom vroom noises and cornering :)

NDspd
February 26th, 2012, 07:32 PM
lol...too lazy today and it's raining...tomorrow hopefully

badiguana
February 27th, 2012, 02:31 AM
Can someone explain the advantages and disadvantageous between bias ply and radial ? I kind of know the differences, but I just want to solidify my knowledge.

The difference is in how the sidewalk works. A bias ply has almost no flex. You just roll onto the sidewalk. A radial will allow some sidewalk compliance with the result that the tread rubber can conform better to the road surface, effectively putting more rubber on the road with less tread squirm.

That being said, I tried a set of Michelin pilots using a 150 rear and it was a bad choice. The 150 sidewalk rolled up so far that the sidewalk shape was too vertical and it just did not work. I went back to bias ply but bought the newest Michelin (can't remember the name). These tires work as well as a sport touring radial and I would buy them again.

Looking at the Pirelli mounted on the bike, it looks like a good fit. It seems to be a "skinny" 140 that just might work on that little 3.5 inch rim, so I'm anxious to see what the guys who have mounted them have to say.

Just a word on the OEM tire: get rid of them. The same day you finish the break-in miles on the bike, if you can afford to. Those things are bad.

NDspd
February 27th, 2012, 04:53 AM
I've never used bias ply, so I can't comment there. but I'll tell ya what I know about radials in my upcoming video review.

oreX
February 27th, 2012, 03:48 PM
OH FFS. My tires were 'out for delivery' at 4:38 AM today and now they have a status of 'Exception', which could mean anything at this point.

saxnbass
February 27th, 2012, 04:17 PM
Call them?

Firehorse
February 27th, 2012, 11:50 PM
I'm so excited waiting for delivery, you'd think it was coming to my house...

oreX
February 28th, 2012, 09:33 AM
They arrived! At like 9:45 PM (2100 for you foreigners) last night.

MikeBudd
February 28th, 2012, 09:45 AM

Nice man! Have fun once you get them on!
Posted via Mobile Device

Firehorse
February 29th, 2012, 12:00 AM

Yea!!!!:thumbup:

Cam0
February 29th, 2012, 11:02 PM
GREAT NEWS! my local store can source and fit them for a decent price! after this move these will be my first priority!

MikeBudd
March 1st, 2012, 02:05 AM
Just wondering if anyone had a comparison between the sport demon's and these tires. I know a decent amount of people who have one or the other, but I have never heard of a comparison between the two.

saxnbass
March 1st, 2012, 07:05 AM
Hmmm, if Joseph (Vampyre) rides my bike anytime, he could compare them, as his 250 has the Demons. If I'd have to guess, the Demons ride a tad smoother, last a bit longer, but grip a smidge less.

NDspd
March 1st, 2012, 08:03 AM
GREAT NEWS! my local store can source and fit them for a decent price! after this move these will be my first priority!

DUDE!!! that's awesome!!! Let us know when you get those rubbers on...lol :p

Vampyre
March 1st, 2012, 10:08 AM
Hmmm, if Joseph (Vampyre) rides my bike anytime, he could compare them, as his 250 has the Demons. If I'd have to guess, the Demons ride a tad smoother, last a bit longer, but grip a smidge less.

I believe this would about sum it up. Quit trying to trick me into letting you ride my 636...lol

saxnbass
March 1st, 2012, 10:49 AM
I believe this would about sum it up. Quit trying to trick me into letting you ride my 636...lol

Dang it, I was hoping you wouldn't catch onto that part of it. :p

MikeBudd
March 1st, 2012, 12:25 PM

LOLLL. Thanks for the input anyways.

To be honest, I have no idea what I want to do. With the rain here, I should probably go with more grip :O

NDspd
March 1st, 2012, 07:15 PM
LOLLL. Thanks for the input anyways.

To be honest, I have no idea what I want to do. With the rain here, I should probably go with more grip :O

The DRII's perform perfect in wet weather.

NDspd
March 1st, 2012, 10:48 PM
Btw I did not see this earlier today but here is another thread with a video review of the tires

http://www.ninjette.org/forums/showthread.php?t=97221

Haha...yep, I should have posted the video here too

MikeBudd
March 2nd, 2012, 01:04 AM
The DRII's perform perfect in wet weather.

Lol, already saw the video with your huge puddles :D

I have to enquire at my dealer because shipping them to canada from any online store in the states will probably cost up the A$$. Probably will be cheaper to do it that way, but I won't know until I try.

MikeBudd
March 2nd, 2012, 01:37 AM
or until you ask what the shipping rates are. "probably cost" implies you havent yet asked the online shops either :)

That is true, I have not. Although with the price going up to over 200 bucks, shipping in continental US is definitely free. SUPER AWESOME, if you live in the states.

For Canada, not so much. I won't know for sure until I give a couple a call, but most sites I have been tpo have disclaimers on them stating that they won't ship tires outside of the US, or there will be specialty fee's incurred.

With duty, HST, service handling fee's, and shipping charges instead of the 200+ you guys pay, I could end up with a 400+ money pit. That's just considering minimum 30 dollar shipping fee (what they charged for my 190$ boots) on them, add on the duty - which essentially is a random number depending on the person you get and what they feel like (could be anywhere from 0 - 100+), it could be bad :O

Again, I definitely won't know until I ask :thumbup:

akima
March 2nd, 2012, 11:35 AM
perhaps didnt NAFTA (or a similar treaty) do a lot to drop the fees between US/CA?

I think the North American Free Trade Agreement is probably more about creating a stepping stone to a north american super state than it is about dropping trade fees.

That's what happened to us in Europe anyway. Started with trade agreements ended with what we have now: An EU president, an EU central bank and EU mandated laws that all member countries must sign into law.

I was gonna appologise for potentially derailing this thread, but you guys are so dumb-struck with these Rosso II's that I think it would take a meteor to derail it :p I imagine there being little rubber tyres spinning around in your eyes as you're reading this thread ;)

disclaimer: I have these tyres in my eyes too! Getting them installed in the summer.

austinm911
March 3rd, 2012, 09:10 PM
The difference is in how the sidewalk works. A bias ply has almost no flex. You just roll onto the sidewalk. A radial will allow some sidewalk compliance with the result that the tread rubber can conform better to the road surface, effectively putting more rubber on the road with less tread squirm.

That being said, I tried a set of Michelin pilots using a 150 rear and it was a bad choice. The 150 sidewalk rolled up so far that the sidewalk shape was too vertical and it just did not work. I went back to bias ply but bought the newest Michelin (can't remember the name). These tires work as well as a sport touring radial and I would buy them again.

Looking at the Pirelli mounted on the bike, it looks like a good fit. It seems to be a "skinny" 140 that just might work on that little 3.5 inch rim, so I'm anxious to see what the guys who have mounted them have to say.

Just a word on the OEM tire: get rid of them. The same day you finish the break-in miles on the bike, if you can afford to. Those things are bad.

I had some Pilot Road 2s installed 110/70 and 150/70 so we shall see how that works

MikeBudd
March 3rd, 2012, 09:37 PM
perhaps didnt NAFTA (or a similar treaty) do a lot to drop the fees between US/CA? I just got my brake lines (2 of em) custom made stainless steel from Canada for $50 incl shipping. Yes, they are not oversized items, yes they are lighter, but $50 exceeds the value for commercial items to trigger duty from Europe and Asia.

I have no idea to be honest. All I know is I have gotten raped a couple times on expensive items, but normally can avoid it with USPS

ANYWAYS,

I don't think any company will ship tires internationally. I have so far contacted revzilla as well as motorcyclesuperstore, and they won't as far as the people on the phone said. I'm thinking about making a trip down to the states and picking them up from a dealer down their and driving back. It will save probably 60+ dollars as long as I don't get charged huge border fees or something.

Cam0
March 3rd, 2012, 10:08 PM
http://motorcycleparts2u.com/new-pirelli-03020558-pu

They ship to Aus so I think they'll ship to you!

MikeBudd
March 3rd, 2012, 10:25 PM
http://motorcycleparts2u.com/new-pirelli-03020558-pu

They ship to Aus so I think they'll ship to you!

I'll check it out! Thanks!

How much did you pay in shipping?!

EDIT: I just added the tires and checked shipping. I would end up with a total of 319 or about 160 per tire. I'm going to try my dealer and see if they can beat that price.

NDspd
March 22nd, 2012, 08:23 AM
Ok, so it's been a bit since some of us have used the Pirelli tires. What do you guys think?

The only thing that strikes me weird is after I come off the highway and do a little city riding, my tires are showing odd signs of wear. I sometimes like to check the temps of my tires, and as I did a few times before I've noticed many bits of rubber around the rear tire. They are only on the center of the tire and they look like you took a piece of silly putty and rolled it in between your fingers. You can pull them off too, also the tire feels warm, but not overly hot. Anyone have any thought to what is causing this? I'll try to get a pic of it when I can.

choneofakind
March 22nd, 2012, 08:36 AM
Would taking 2psi out of the rear tire and going down a notch on the rear pre-load help? Assuming that NDspd is having issues due to not getting his rear tire hot enough?

Rexbo
March 22nd, 2012, 08:56 AM
As a track-only review, I gotta say these tires are awesome (rear only). I use a Pirelli Supercorsa SC1 front tire (110), Diablo Rosso II rear tire (140), and dropped 2.5 seconds off my best time with the michelin power race tires, and set a new Chuckwalla 250 track record in the process.

They've got enough grip to drag knee, toe, pegs ALL day, and when they do slip, the rear tire slides and spins up VERY progressively. The only time I could get the rear to step outta line was when I ran wide onto the berms and even then it wasn't really anything crazy, just a little spin up and you continue on.

I ran 28 psi front, 26 psi rear (on warmers) and they had pretty much ideal wear pattern, and seem to have very good tread life, since there's little to no appreciable impact on the tread thickness even after two solid days of racing.

choneofakind
March 22nd, 2012, 09:00 AM
Trixter, I see what you're saying.

come on NDspd!! now I'm curious!

NDspd
March 22nd, 2012, 02:31 PM
choneofakind and everyone else...Alright guys here are the pics with some written notes on them. It rained recently so some of the rubber has fallen off. I've seen what tires look like after they have been on the track, or have had several hard heat cycles, these don't look like that.

http://img594.imageshack.us/img594/2010/dsc8470.jpg

http://img828.imageshack.us/img828/6148/dsc8471.jpg

http://img585.imageshack.us/img585/1019/dsc8473u.jpg

http://img853.imageshack.us/img853/9857/dsc8475v.jpg

akima
March 22nd, 2012, 02:35 PM
NDspd: You should contact Pirelli (http://www.pirelli.com/tyre/gb/en/site/contact_us) and link them those pictures.

Rexbo
March 22nd, 2012, 02:58 PM
yeah thats definitely weird... rubber nuggets should really only come off when you're really romping on the tires at the track...

NDspd
March 22nd, 2012, 06:59 PM
Yeah I know really weird...I'll bump down the PSI down a few. They both are at 37-38 cold.

I'll give revzilla call and Pirelli as well.

LoD575
March 22nd, 2012, 09:45 PM
I still haven't had mine mounted yet. Dealer is still closed on Monday's for winter hours but that will change come April.

Play around with tire pressure a bit to see if anything changes. Tires are rated at 42psi cold so you have some room to go up or down.

00NissanNinja
March 22nd, 2012, 11:37 PM
I couldn't help myself so I bought a set :)

I see those little chunks of rubber sometimes on the track (from previous tires I've used as well as other tires on other bikes), but I don't usually see them with regular street riding

MikeBudd
March 23rd, 2012, 01:14 AM

Man, I was looking for these again, and randomly found them on canada'smotorcycle when they "apparently" didn't sell this size. Seized the opportunity and will be receiving my new tires (approx 270 after tax) by weds of next week :D

Yay!

saxnbass
March 23rd, 2012, 07:58 AM
oreX has had his Rosso IIs sitting in his house for weeks now, wonder if he's gotten them mounted yet; doubtful. :p

00NissanNinja
March 23rd, 2012, 04:11 PM
I'm hopefully getting mine mounted tomorrow so I can hit the track with them, they seem promising.

MikeBudd cool, I just had to get a set they seemed like they have good potential. Now my michelin pilot activs are going to go to waste (i.e. probably sit around in my house till they rot away) unless someone wants to take them off my hands. I only rode on them for like 700 miles which is kinda sad.

NDspd
March 23rd, 2012, 05:59 PM

I see those little chunks of rubber sometimes on the track (from previous tires I've used as well as other tires on other bikes), but I don't usually see them with regular street riding

Yeah it's weird, I can understand trackday riding, but not highway and city riding.

00NissanNinja
March 24th, 2012, 06:57 PM
I got them mounted today! They are amazing. I thought my michelins were a major improvement, but these take it a step further. My highway ride home was so smooth. Can't wait to break them in some more. Major props to akima for posting about these.

Going to head out to the track in a couple days to see how much better they really are. I'll also see if I get any odd wear.

MikeBudd
March 25th, 2012, 12:19 AM
I got them mounted today! They are amazing. I thought my michelins were a major improvement, but these take it a step further. My highway ride home was so smooth. Can't wait to break them in some more. Major props to akima for posting about these.

Going to head out to the track in a couple days to see how much better they really are. I'll also see if I get any odd wear.

Super stoked to get mine next week. I seriously can't wait after all of these amazing reviews... except the strange wear NDspd has had :O

Mountain Dew
March 25th, 2012, 12:32 AM
Not sure if this was mentioned yet, but these come stock on newer Monsters (all 3). They're quite good.

Kstorm21
March 25th, 2012, 12:44 AM
I was looking at motorcycle-superstore.com cause they have a sale right now, anyways, they have a 110/70R and a 110/70ZR. What's the difference plus, the rear tire they have is 140/70HR would that also work. Do the letters after the #'s matter?

akima
March 25th, 2012, 01:33 AM
I was looking at motorcycle-superstore.com cause they have a sale right now, anyways, they have a 110/70R and a 110/70ZR. What's the difference plus, the rear tire they have is 140/70HR would that also work. Do the letters after the #'s matter?

The rear tyre you've found must be the correct tyre, because they only do one 140/70 option. The front tyre... not so sure about that, as there are too options to choose from: the ZR and the R. source (http://www.pirelli.com/tyre/gb/en/motorcycle/sheet/diablo_rosso_2.tab?tab=8)

I've sent a message to Pirelli asking them to clarify the difference. I'll post their response here.

Kstorm21
March 25th, 2012, 01:51 AM
The rear tyre you've found must be the correct tyre, because they only do one 140/70 option. The front tyre... not so sure about that, as there are too options to choose from: the ZR and the R. source (http://www.pirelli.com/tyre/gb/en/motorcycle/sheet/diablo_rosso_2.tab?tab=8)

I've sent a message to Pirelli asking them to clarify the difference. I'll post their response here.

Thanks! You're awesome!

akima
March 25th, 2012, 02:15 AM
max speed rating, the lower is good for like 130mph

Ah. I found this table (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tire_code#Speed_rating) on wikipedia. It says R is good for 106MPH and Z is good for over 149MPH. So if one tyre is R then it makes sense that tyre can do 106, but if the other tyre is ZR... wtf does that mean??

Edit: Oh!! Pirelli have a table on their own website that explains the ratings:
http://www.pirelli.com/mediaObject/pirellityre/ww/en/extra-catalogue/car/all_about_tyres/speed-symbol/original/speed-symbol.png
So the "110/70 R 17 M/C 54H TL" tyre should be fine. It has a speed rating of up to 105MPH. That's fine for the ninjette. The ZR tyre must be for much faster bikes.

Kstorm21
March 25th, 2012, 02:26 AM
Ah. I found this table (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tire_code#Speed_rating) on wikipedia. It says R is good for 106MPH and Z is good for over 149MPH. So if one tyre is R then it makes sense that tyre can do 106, but if the other tyre is ZR... wtf does that mean??

Edit: Oh!! Pirelli have a table on their own website that explains the ratings:
http://www.pirelli.com/mediaObject/pirellityre/ww/en/extra-catalogue/car/all_about_tyres/speed-symbol/original/speed-symbol.png
So the "110/70 R 17 M/C 54H TL" tyre should be fine. It has a speed rating of up to 105MPH. That's fine for the ninjette. The ZR tyre must be for much faster bikes.

Well, I don't ever plan on going that fast so I guess that'll be fine. :) Thanks for the info.

akima
March 25th, 2012, 02:28 AM
Well, I don't ever plan on going that fast so I guess that'll be fine. :) Thanks for the info.

No probs! I need to know this stuff too. I'll be getting a pair of these tyres just before summer begins ^-^

Kstorm21
March 25th, 2012, 02:39 AM
No probs! I need to know this stuff too. I'll be getting a pair of these tyres just before summer begins ^-^

Well, if you have the money now (not sure if they will ship to you, cause they won't to me) motorcycle-superstore.com has them on sale. With the two in the cart I would save $118.

akima
March 25th, 2012, 02:43 AM
Well, if you have the money now (not sure if they will ship to you, cause they won't to me) motorcycle-superstore.com has them on sale. With the two in the cart I would save $118.

That's a shame for both of us. I just checked the site and they don't do international shipping. I should keep my eye out for an offer this spring, rather than get them at full price in the summer.

Kstorm21
March 25th, 2012, 02:51 AM
That's a shame for both of us. I just checked the site and they don't do international shipping. I should keep my eye out for an offer this spring, rather than get them at full price in the summer.

hmm...who ships tires to Hawaii??? :D

Gorilla25
March 25th, 2012, 03:11 AM
im not sure if motorcycle superstore ships bulk items to HI. im planning on replacing my IRCs for better rubber. hopefully by summer. besides, my front tire has small sidewall cracks :/

Kstorm21
March 25th, 2012, 03:14 AM
im not sure if motorcycle superstore ships bulk items to HI. im planning on replacing my IRCs for better rubber. hopefully by summer. besides, my front tire has small sidewall cracks :/

They don't...that what we've been discussing. They have a tire sale going on and I was seeing if they would...nope. :(

Gorilla25
March 25th, 2012, 03:24 AM
thats what i thought :( i was going to buy a stand from them a while back but they wont ship to HI.

NDspd
March 25th, 2012, 06:35 AM
Don't worry guys, I'm gonna give those two companies a call tomorrow and see if there is a problem. I'll keep you guys updated.

Rexbo
March 25th, 2012, 01:41 PM
Don't worry guys, I'm gonna give those two companies a call tomorrow and see if there is a problem. I'll keep you guys updated.

Here's what my tires look like after race weekend:

Front:
http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y62/StevenDawson/Ninja%20250r/IMG_0598.jpg

Rear:
http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y62/StevenDawson/Ninja%20250r/IMG_0600.jpg

Don't know what could be goin on with NDspd's tires... strange

NDspd
March 25th, 2012, 04:07 PM
yeah, I've seen plenty of those...

00NissanNinja
March 25th, 2012, 10:03 PM
Here's my rear tire after a mild track day:

So they don't look abnormal. I think NDspd you might try messing with your tire pressures a bit and see if that helps. I think I was running stock pressures today.

Also these tires are awesome on the track. I didn't want to push too hard since they are new but they grip so well. I could brake harder, turn faster, and get back on the power without worry. Even when I botched up downshifts the rear didn't get to wiggly. I even dragged knee for a good 15-20ft on a corner when I normally only touch down for maybe 10 on this long sweeper corner. I had to cut the day short since my friend went down so I helped him out; I never expected to see him to go down.

NDspd
March 26th, 2012, 04:31 AM
00NissanNinja Yeah I've pushed my tires hard before on an abandoned track before.

So here's an update y'all: I took my 250 for a good long ride on the highway, in the country and the city. I eventually ended at the abandoned track, jumped up really quick and felt the tire for any weird temps. They both were relatively warm and sticky, but I didn't see any of the weird signs of wear at all.

So who knows, maybe it was the combination of riding at 80 mph for 160 miles, while occasionally getting a little rain. Or the fact it was a nearly straight highway, it only heated a tiny section of the tire, causing some kind of cold ripping when I jumped into town. The heated rubber would accumulate at the center since where there is more centrifugal force, and once I slowed down the soft rubber that wore off over the 160 miles gummed up after cooling......ok enough of my brainstorming session. I'm still gonna call pirelli.

streetsquid
March 27th, 2012, 05:28 AM
i am getting mine mounted today and cant wait to ride them,,i was never a big fan of the stock ones

NDspd
March 27th, 2012, 06:00 AM
i am getting mine mounted today and cant wait to ride them,,i was never a big fan of the stock ones

Great man, have fun. Let them scrub in for about 50 miles before doing too much lean.

streetsquid
March 30th, 2012, 03:47 AM
There mounted and on the bike. And they look good. Now I just have to wait for the north east weather to warm up some

LoD575
March 30th, 2012, 05:11 PM
I am finally having them mounted on April 2 now that the dealer is off winter hours. Weather forecast is high of 64 with few showers and 30mph winds.

Still will be a good day to ride.

NDspd
March 30th, 2012, 06:47 PM
I am finally having them mounted on April 2 now that the dealer is off winter hours. Weather forecast is high of 64 with few showers and 30mph winds.

Great!! Sounds like an awesome day to me.

MikeBudd
March 30th, 2012, 11:09 PM

I should be getting mine April 2nd! I should have them mounted that day as well!

Steven250R
April 16th, 2012, 01:24 PM
Anybody have the 150/60/17 in the rear? I know some companies make their tires different in size i was wondering if this size would be alright?

Bols
April 16th, 2012, 01:27 PM
Anybody have the 150/60/17 in the rear? I know some companies make their tires different in size i was wondering if this size would be alright?

I have the Rosso I in that size, not sure about the Rosso II tho, but i guess they would be fine. But the Rosso II come in 140/70, which is probably better handling wise:)

Steven250R
April 16th, 2012, 02:22 PM
I have the Rosso I in that size, not sure about the Rosso II tho, but i guess they would be fine. But the Rosso II come in 140/70, which is probably better handling wise:)

Awesome, are you running a 110 or 120 in the front?

Also as far as the rear did you have the pinched sidewall causing it to wear funny? How many miles have you put on your rosso I?

Bols
April 16th, 2012, 02:33 PM
Awesome, are you running a 110 or 120 in the front?

Also as far as the rear did you have the pinched sidewall causing it to wear funny? How many miles have you put on your rosso I?
I have the 120/60 front. The sidewall is not much pinched. I have about 5k km on them so far, and no signs of funny wear. I did notice a slight difference in the way the bike leans over. So for my next set, i will probably go with the 110/70 and 140/70 now that it's available. The Rosso I's were only available in 120/60 and 150/60 as the smallest size, so that's why i went with them, not for the looks:thumbup:

Rexbo
April 16th, 2012, 02:53 PM
Great man, have fun. Let them scrub in for about 50 miles before doing too much lean.

I mounted them at the track, set them on the warmers for about a half hour, and was dragging knee first lap out. Don't need to worry about scrubbing in on modern tires anymore if you've got them up to temp :thumbup:

NDspd
April 16th, 2012, 05:55 PM
I mounted them at the track, set them on the warmers for about a half hour, and was dragging knee first lap out. Don't need to worry about scrubbing in on modern tires anymore if you've got them up to temp :thumbup:

Great man, glad they are working well for ya.

TnNinjaGirl
April 16th, 2012, 06:02 PM
I've put about 200 miles on the Rosso II's so far. OMG... That's really all I can say. It's like a completely different bike. Turns in better, grips better. More confidence. Wish I would have switched sooner. I will see how many miles I get out of them, but if I can get at least 3k, these will be the only tires that will be going on my bike from now on.

BlackNinja8
April 16th, 2012, 06:24 PM
I've put about 200 miles on the Rosso II's so far. OMG... That's really all I can say. It's like a completely different bike. Turns in better, grips better. More confidence. Wish I would have switched sooner. I will see how many miles I get out of them, but if I can get at least 3k, these will be the only tires that will be going on my bike from now on.

I'm so close to pulling the trigger on these, tell me more. Did you notice a difference right away or did it take some time?

TnNinjaGirl
April 16th, 2012, 06:27 PM
BlackNinja8

I noticed a difference right away. I forgot to mention the braking feels much better too. More controlled, shorter stopping distances. I went easy for about 50 miles to "scrub in" the tires but I feel very confident on them now. I'm very happy with my purchase. I ride aggressively on the street. If you ride tame or just piddle around I'm not sure they are the best tire. They do make it feel more... I don't want to say squirrely, but the bike does want to turn in much easier.

BlackNinja8
April 16th, 2012, 06:34 PM
TnNinjaGirl - Thanks thats good info. I do ride aggresively at times, but most of the time I am commuting and cruising. Though my commute is more of a Saturday morning ride than a typical commute - 10 minutes Interstate 30 minutes windy back country roads.

NDspd
April 16th, 2012, 07:51 PM
With the 3,000 miles I've put on the DRII's I still have quite a bit of life left I'm thinking at least 6,000 miles are left in them.

I also can't say enough on their performance...just wow...

choneofakind
April 16th, 2012, 08:07 PM
BlackNinja8 buy them. Sticky tires rock. Sticky tires with great reviews that rock are even better.

BlackNinja8
April 16th, 2012, 08:26 PM
BlackNinja8 buy them. Sticky tires rock. Sticky tires with great reviews that rock are even better.

Lol I was on MSS about to do it but TnNinjaGirl sent me back to the web for more due diligence when she called them squirrely. I don't even know what that means, but I don't want to think of my bike as a squirrel. Sorry akima lol

choneofakind
April 16th, 2012, 08:34 PM
Squirrely just means a little nervous or easily influenced by the pavement at speed. Think 90's honda civic, or golf cart, just less extreme

BlackNinja8
April 16th, 2012, 08:47 PM
Got them in my revzilla cart waiting to push the button...I guess even if I'm the first person not to like them someone in here will take them off my hands at a slight discount...

choneofakind
April 16th, 2012, 08:49 PM
Go go GO GO GO GOGOGOGOGO!!!

BlackNinja8
April 16th, 2012, 08:56 PM
Done! Chone you should get a commission on that sale!

choneofakind
April 16th, 2012, 08:58 PM
I take paypal. :)

I really just like awesome tires on the 250. I see vroomvroom fun time in the twisties in your future NJ.

BlackNinja8
April 16th, 2012, 09:35 PM
Now to devise a plan to remove the slick tire mold surface when they finally arrive...

00NissanNinja
April 16th, 2012, 09:41 PM
Now to devise a plan to remove the slick tire mold surface when they finally arrive...

You won't have to worry about that much, I took them to the track soon after getting them put on and was happily dragging knee after a couple laps. Obviously don't go crazy, but these don't have much of a break in.

Rexbo
April 16th, 2012, 09:43 PM
You won't have to worry about that much, I took them to the track soon after getting them put on and was happily dragging knee after a couple laps. Obviously don't go crazy, but these don't have much of a break in.

+1 the mold thing is a thing of the past, temperature is much more important for grip on modern tires.

Havok
April 16th, 2012, 09:44 PM
I got ya beat, i have a pair sitting and staring at me in my living room, i am putting them on friday at the track :0

Rexbo
April 16th, 2012, 09:49 PM
I got ya beat, i have a pair sitting and staring at me in my living room, i am putting them on friday at the track :0

a pair of balls that is. bout time you put them to use.

Cam0
April 17th, 2012, 01:23 AM
what type of mileage are others getting? I'd hate to be replacing tyres every 3,000km!

BlackNinja8
April 17th, 2012, 06:49 AM
what type of mileage are others getting? I'd hate to be replacing tyres every 3,000km!

See post 203 if you haven't already. Running through the tire in 3k miles would require some tracking or really agressive riding. Going through them in 3k km I think would be rather hard. I'm hoping to get 5k out of mine. Might have been better off with a higher mileage tire as I will probably do 9k miles this year but I had to see what all the hoopla was about.

TnNinjaGirl
April 17th, 2012, 06:57 AM
You won't be disappointed.

akima
April 17th, 2012, 09:06 AM
This has worked out pretty well for me. You're all my guinea pigs in this tyre experiment ;) There seems to be a strong consensus that these are very good tyres, so I'm getting them soon. I've already had 1 quote (314$ for both tyres and fitting)... just going to look around a bit more for better prices.

MikeBudd
April 17th, 2012, 09:43 AM
As per wear: I'd say 7-10k miles depending on your riding
As per awesomeness: you feel the difference right away for sure. These tires are just so much different and better than stock its unbelievable.

I still haven't found my preferred pressure yet in these yet, still experimenting. (I have 500km on them)

akima, I paid around 300 including balancing, but they only had to mount the rear because I was to lazy to do it myself. Obviously shop around as much as you want, but I'd pay a couple extra dollars (probably all you will save) to get them on ASAP!!!
Posted via Mobile Device

akima
April 17th, 2012, 10:35 AM
I will fit them for free. The initial part of the ride you will have to go really fast to avoid sinking but after that its easy to just ride over here and get those tires installed.

:happy80:

* revs her engine at the beginning of a pier *

I'm going for it!! Here I come America!! :D

TnNinjaGirl
April 17th, 2012, 01:45 PM
Alright, did about 100 miles of hard riding today. The verdict...

If you don't buy these tires then you hate kittens. There, I said it. Can you live with yourself?

akima
April 17th, 2012, 01:50 PM
^ lmao: Now you've framed it in that light I feel I have no choice!

etiainen
April 17th, 2012, 01:52 PM
Has anyone actually worn these out yet?

I was going to put BT45s on my CBR after the IRCs wear out. What's the wet everday performance like though? My BT45s on the Ninja stopped me in freezing rain and other nasty conditions really well.

EDIT: I only want to change tires once a year. Something in the 10k range would suffice though, and if these could do that they would work. Someone on the CBR forums is getting pretty good mileage out of these. Less and changing all the time will get annoying.

backinthesaddleagain
April 17th, 2012, 01:57 PM
Great tires. use them on my cbr600rr.

LoD575
April 17th, 2012, 03:45 PM
I am loving mine. Wet and dry traction is improved over the IRC's. Don't have anything else to compare them to but I am impressed.

Steven250R
April 17th, 2012, 10:24 PM
Seems like these tires make a HUGE IMPROVEMENT over the STOCK IRC's. Cant wait to get a pair myself! :thumbup:

cuong-nutz
April 17th, 2012, 10:38 PM
With the 3,000 miles I've put on the DRII's I still have quite a bit of life left I'm thinking at least 6,000 miles are left in them.

I also can't say enough on their performance...just wow...

Can you post a picture of how much tire tread you have on the tires and what psi are you running?

BlackNinja8
April 18th, 2012, 07:10 AM
Gotta love revzilla, I ordered these on Monday night and they are arriving today! Can't wait

etiainen
April 18th, 2012, 07:12 AM
DIY or taking to a shop?

Havok
April 18th, 2012, 07:53 AM
a pair of balls that is. bout time you put them to use.

No no, tires, last I heard my balls were at university of Indiana well at least one of them was :0

BlackNinja8
April 18th, 2012, 08:15 AM
DIY or taking to a shop?

Shop, don't have the tools or desire to go it alone.

NDspd
April 18th, 2012, 09:57 AM
Can you post a picture of how much tire tread you have on the tires and what psi are you running?

Sure, I'll do that later today if it isn't raining.

TnNinjaGirl
April 18th, 2012, 09:58 AM
What kind of prices are you guys seeing for mount and balance?

etiainen
April 18th, 2012, 10:00 AM
$0.

I did them myself last time.

But, I'm seeing around $30-$40 a tire for shops in my area.

dino74
April 18th, 2012, 10:31 AM

go to the Michelin Guy... he only charged me $10 per tire last race weekend.

choneofakind
April 18th, 2012, 12:32 PM
$0.

Question: these are the same size tires that fit on your rims right? Have the guys over on the cbr250 forums figured out about these yet?

I'm just curious.

etiainen
April 18th, 2012, 01:18 PM
Question: these are the same size tires that fit on your rims right? Have the guys over on the cbr250 forums figured out about these yet?

I'm just curious.

Yes, they are.:D

I was going to shy away from these in favor of BT45s, but from what I'm seeing on the CBR250 forums is that at least one person is at 7500 miles and thinks they can last at least 10000.

I was hoping I could find Dunlop GT501s as a compromise in performance and longevity but I can't find any in a 140/70-17 size.

I came across the Michelin Pilot Activs, but I just haven't seen a lot of information on them. I'm just looking for something lasting around 10k that's better than the IRCs. My old BT45s didn't look like they'd last over 7k at the rate they were going at. I would prefer not to change tires more than once a year. I don't like the IRCs, but they can fit that once a year change bill though.

I'm at 5k on the CBR right now, but the IRCs don't seem to be wearing that much at all...they look almost brand new. So it looks like I'll be going for at least another 5 months and maybe even more before they are worn out. Some people are going for 150s...but I would rather not change the tire sizes, as the current sizes work great.

akima
April 18th, 2012, 01:25 PM
I'm at 5k on the CBR right now, but the IRCs don't seem to be wearing that much at all...they look almost brand new. So it looks like I'll be going for at least another 5 months and maybe even more before they are worn out. Some people are going for 150s...but I would rather not change the tire sizes, as the current sizes work great.

My stock tyres aren't any where near worn out either. I'm still switching tyres though as I want the extra fun and safety and comes with extra grip. I'm going to carefully wrap up and store my stock tyres so that I have them at hand in the event I damage my new Pirelli tyres.

etiainen
April 18th, 2012, 01:27 PM
The weird part is that at 5k on my Ninjette, the tires were waaaay more worn. However, they were already quite worn when I bought it at 1800 miles as well. I barely got 6k out of my first set by the time I just went ahead and threw on BT45s.

etiainen
April 18th, 2012, 01:32 PM
I had thought that before, but when I adjusted my chain the first time after buying it, I made sure it lined up with the string method.

The wear wasn't uneven. The PSI was quite low when I got the bike, maybe the P/O didn't inflate the tires and rode? My new BT45s that I had put on were not wearing that fast...those IRCs really disappeared.

devinjc
April 18th, 2012, 01:54 PM
So, if I need new tires, and don't want to spend a week researching new tires, what y'all are saying is that I could just get Diablo Rosso II's and be extremely happy about life?

7500 miles on stock dunlops. Full time commute bike, very aggressively ridden commute, rain or shine. Tired of my rear breaking loose when I gear down in the rain and here lately in the dry.

NDspd
April 18th, 2012, 05:21 PM
So, if I need new tires, and don't want to spend a week researching new tires, what y'all are saying is that I could just get Diablo Rosso II's and be extremely happy about life?

7500 miles on stock dunlops. Full time commute bike, very aggressively ridden commute, rain or shine. Tired of my rear breaking loose when I gear down in the rain and here lately in the dry.

Yes the DRII's are top notch!! They grip in almost all conditions, plus or minus some extremes (sand, ice, etc.)

devinjc
April 19th, 2012, 11:16 AM
No ice traction, no sale! Actually, ordered and on the way. Can't wait for new sneakers.

BlackNinja8
April 20th, 2012, 12:28 PM
What kind of prices are you guys seeing for mount and balance?

Just called around and got quotes of 150-180 on the bike or 40 per tire off. This is the reason I don't feel guilty buying my stuff online. Dealers gouge you every chance they get. No way it should cost 180 to install tires. If they were reasonable and moderately more expensive, than alternatives I would support my local dealer. Urgghhh...

Anyone in the NY area with access to tire changing equipment wanna meetup tomorrow? You know, grab a cup of coffee, shoot the ****, change my tires...:)

BlackNinja8
April 20th, 2012, 12:48 PM
Tire spoons are cheap. Soapy water (lubricant) is cheap. A bead breaker (http://www.zx-10r.net/forum/showthread.php?t=60894) can be made cheaply. You can buy or make the balancing stands for not that much. The whole thing probably costs less than a single change at the rates that you quote

Please refrain from exposing my laziness :D

Havok
April 21st, 2012, 11:54 AM
I just put these tires on yesterday and went right on the track with them and all I can say is holy ****. These tires stick, plain and simple. For street riding you will quit befor the tires do as far as lean angle. On the track I had the best sessions I ever had on a track with these things. They blistered and bubbled and just stayed planted to the asphalt. These are great tires, so great that there will be a set of pilot powers for sale soon.

TnNinjaGirl
April 21st, 2012, 11:55 AM
After about 300 miles and a little pushing on the Dragon today. I'm pretty sure these tires have more grip in the wet than the stock ones do on dry pavement. It's hard to see but the shoulders have a little wear. My chicken strips are huge, that's the only thing I don't like about them. :rolleyes:

http://i1184.photobucket.com/albums/z333/CoreyBAbbott/Ninja/IMG_20120421_144553.jpg

choneofakind
April 21st, 2012, 11:57 AM
Chicken strips are good though. That means you have extra tire if you need it and your body positioning is correct for the style of riding you do. :thumbup:

TnNinjaGirl
April 21st, 2012, 11:59 AM
or... I'm not going fast enough. :)

choneofakind
April 21st, 2012, 12:00 PM
touche kind ma'am. Carry on :yo:

BlackNinja8
April 21st, 2012, 12:15 PM
Just got mine put on and unfortunately i cant take them for a ride. I know others have tracked them immediately with no ill effects but my kawi dealer told me to take it easy after install for 100 miles until the shiny anti corrosion crap comes off. That has made me a little apprehensive about riding aggressively "out the box" I can see what he means but i dont think it will take 100 miles, maybe 25...cant wait!

TnNinjaGirl
April 21st, 2012, 12:16 PM
I scrubbed mine with Simple Green before my first ride. I'm going to be honest, these tires so so freakin sticky that even if they had Vasoline on them they'd still be better than the IRC tires.

BlackNinja8
April 21st, 2012, 05:08 PM
I scrubbed mine with Simple Green before my first ride. I'm going to be honest, these tires so so freakin sticky that even if they had Vasoline on them they'd still be better than the IRC tires.

Forgive my ignorance but when you say "scrubbed" do you mean literally scrubbing with a rag soaked in simple green? If so, never heard that method before

etiainen
April 21st, 2012, 05:12 PM
Just take it easy and progressively lean more. Soon they'll be ready to go.:thumbup:
Posted via Mobile Device

TnNinjaGirl
April 21st, 2012, 05:23 PM
People refer to "scrubbing" as riding around gently on a new tire until it reaches a few heat cycles.

I literally scrubbed the outside of the tire with Simple Green.
Posted via Mobile Device

erdmann
April 21st, 2012, 06:42 PM
ok i have a 2012 what size close to stock front and rear and were to buy them

choneofakind
April 21st, 2012, 07:07 PM
read the thread. It's only mentioned like 4 times...

Havok
April 22nd, 2012, 08:19 AM
People refer to "scrubbing" as riding around gently on a new tire until it reaches a few heat cycles.

I literally scrubbed the outside of the tire with Simple Green.
Posted via Mobile Device

It's not needed that much anymore. I had mine put on at the track then went out and killed it, first clean lap i had I took 8 seconds off my previous best time and ended up taking like 14 seconds off by the end of the day. Not all of it was the tires but they sure as he'll helped. They wear on then was even and they just stick. As for sizes inwent 110 front 140 rear.

NDspd
April 22nd, 2012, 05:34 PM
I just progressively broke mine in, with eventually more and more lean.

I just put 700 miles on this weekend. I will tell you now, if you have lots of straight highways and you do lots of mileage in a short period of time, you will burn through these tires quick. I have hit the 4,000 mile mark and they are already squaring out a bit. I have also gotten that worn rubber look that I talked about a while ago. I've concluded that's what happens when you ride on the same spot for a long period of time at 75mph.

Still the best tires I've used, and I'm starting to see alot of other bikes with them too.