View Single Post
Old September 10th, 2009, 06:47 AM   #1
lavid2002
ninjette.org member

Name: Dave

Motorcycle(s): None yet

Buying a bike behind my moms back.....

Without going overboard here is a little backround information. My name is dave, and i have grown up around motorcycles. My father rode when he was young, and sold his bike. When I wa about ten he took me and my brother to a ORV off road vehicle course where i rode a dirtbike for the first time. I was hooked. I immediately started saving for a bike, but a few months before I could buy one my mom moved to nj and my dad stayed in MI. My mom worked in the E.R. (I know her opinion on motorcycles is WAY biased) and she is against motorcycles. The subject got set aside. "When your 18 you can do what you want untill then you are my kid' So here we are years down the road and now i'm 18. i brought up the motorcycle again. I took a MSF course and went to the DMV to get my license. I told my mom i wanted a motorcycle and she said no. She explained why and my rebuttle was how I am purchasing a small bike *250, I will install a HL modulator, i dont speed, I have taken safety courses and i will continue to take them, i will ATGATT, etc....I mean i spent a LOT of time on this. 7 months this conversation went on. Meeting with my therapist, with me and her in the room. His ultimate conclusion was not my safety, because i have done nearly every safety precaution you could posibly imagine. The problem was my mom, and her instablility and feelings about me being on a motorcycle. We agreed she had a lot of undue stress on her and promised to talk about it in the spring of 2010. I recently found out from a conversation she had with an uncle that she had no intentions of bringing it back up in the spring, where I planned to buy a bike in the spring. I confronted her about the situation and she simply said while your living in my house you wont have a motorcycle. This is big to me....Promising someone one thing, and having them find out it was all just plan to make me stfu for a few more months until the spring is something else. I have a plan though. Everyone...and EVERYONE has said the problem is her and her insecurities. Regardless I WILL get a motorcycle when I move out and she WILL know about it...same undue stress. I found a plan that works for both of us

I have a fair chunk of change set aside for a ninja, I can buy it, and pay money to store it. When I feel like riding, i will saya im hanging out with a friend (Not really a lie he is buying a ninja too and were going to ride) and I will drive to the storage facility where I keep my bike (18 bucks a month) and ill pop it out, drive it, when im done ill park it and drive home. If I HAD to store it there for 3 years until I am out of college it would cost me 650$ However i will only be keeping it there for the spring summer, and some of the fall. My friends mom says I can winterise it and keep it in her backyard. Where his bike will be.

Conclusion:
I get my bike, and I get to ride like I have for over 8 years.....
Mom knows nothing and she doesnt have to worry about anything......

I know...What happens if I get into an accident? I will have insurance, and i am confident that i am taking so many safety precautions and workiing so hard to be a defencive safe driver that the chances of me getting into an accident are minimal(IMO). I have done a lot of research on this subject.

Has anyone else done something similar? How can someone be HAPPY someone else is risking their life? It never happens....Im sure many of you have GF's Wives' MOMs or equivalent that dont want you on a bike....but you got one anyways....Any stories?
How do you guys feel about this?