View Single Post
Old April 20th, 2017, 09:21 AM   #51
LNasty
Daily Jap rider

Name: Lance

Motorcycle(s): 2012 Ninja 250r

Unhappy Mmmmmmm.....melting plastic

So I have barely riden my bike in the last year and half since moving up here to the land of corn and cow ****. I have owned my bike from mile 0 to now mile 27,000, and never let my baby touch the ground. That is until Christmas Day 2016, where instead of snowflakes, Christmas carols and Aunt Betty lit off of the egg nog; we have a freak windstorm with 70-80 mph gusts. I was at a family members house at the time of the storm, and knew that my girl had more than likely gone down, all the while I sat there staring out the window, helpless and sick to my stomach. Got home later that evening to find that my instinct was correct and found her strewn upon the concrete, not moving. Her cover shredded and fluttering in the now light breeze, like the torn feathers of bird squashed on the road. The damage was bad, but not what I was expecting once I had picked her up. Right handle bar is bent past point of repair, but the bulk of the damage is to the right fairing and the front cowling, where the two meet by the turn signal. I have bikemaster flush mounts installed, which incredibly didn't even crack. Other than that, just some minor scratches on crankcase, bar end, etc. I already knew, without even looking it up, that an estimate would be around $2,000 in damages, but I took a chance and put in a claim. Surprisingly they did not total it and I will be repairing myself on the cheap. New handlebar was most I will have to put into at $100. The plastics are why I am posting this lengthy, drawn out, dramatic story of the day my baby went down. I will be doing some test fixes on pieces of ABS using the cement like the OP as well as what I learned on this little gem of a video I found. Still trying to figure out how I will go about filling a 1x2" triangle section that was lost to the howling screams of Mother Nature. I will post before, during and after pics of the repair as I attempt it.

Link to original page on YouTube.

"Most motorcycle problems are caused by the nut that connects the handlebars to the saddle." - author unknown
LNasty is offline   Reply With Quote