View Single Post
Old April 19th, 2023, 11:15 PM   #14
Bob KellyIII
Retired motorcycle Mc.

Name: Robert

Motorcycle(s): 2012 Kawasaki Ninja 250R, 2021 CSC TT250, 1977 Triumph Bonneville 750cc,2001 Honda XR650L.

I just got the carbs back out , but I think what I'll do instead of taking the carbs apart and seperating them .... I think I will just put Shoe-goo on that connector between the carbs
(which looks perfect I might add) and just cover the entire joint so it can't suck air from the outside.... easier than loosing the carb sync and a perminant fix sense the carbs are super clean to begin with and I am sure the shoe-goo will stick to everything very well.
My question is what is that cross over tube for ? I have seen them on other bikes and usually their for balance between the carburetors but I am not sure on this beast. it should be for balance purposes as well .... but the thing about balance tubes is it will not balance the carbs completely it is only for slight imbalance kind'a a fine tune for imbalance.... carb sync makes up the majority of carb balance but the balance tube does have it's function it makes for a fine running engine 99% of the time.
a mechanical carb balance is never spot on.... the minute changes in the metal alone from changes in tempiture are enough to throw it off so they devised a way to internally balance the carbs and it works very well.... so it is needed !
the insert tube that Gordon put in there looks right and it is seated.... perhaps it was just a milimeter too short or something I don't know.... I sujest gordon checks that on his builds now ! the O ring kits he got may well be faulty because of that !
but I will just cover the entire connection with shoe -goo and put the carbs back in
.... I did look down the throat of the carb for the tip of the spacer to protrude into the throat like it should , that sits on top of the emulsifier tube.... they look fine !
I am hoping that I found the problem I won't know till I put it back together and try it again....
Bob.......