Old May 10th, 2010, 06:24 PM   #2
adouglas
Cat herder

Name: Gort
Location: A secret lair which, being secret, has an undisclosed location

Motorcycle(s): Aprilia RS660

MOTM - Jul '18, Nov '16, Aug '14, May '13
Nice job, Duck.

A couple of additions/comments while my own removal is fresh in my so-called mind (I just did it yesterday).

- The carb drain screws are not at all hard to get to IF you have a long hex wrench. They're even offset from one another so you can access both of them from the right side of the bike. I've got a set of super-sized hex wrenches that came with my bicycle toolkit. They work just fine... no issues. If you don't have one of these, then forget trying to reach those screws.

- If you drain the tank before taking it off, you really don't need to worry about setting it down on the petcock, because you don't have to put it down horizontally (never put the tank on the petcock even if it's empty). I just put mine on its nose. and leaned it up against something handy.

- For those who still have the airbox installed, the carbs can't come out to the rear, but it's not hard to get them out through the left side of the frame. Just remove the left rubber intake runner (the one you've plugged with paper in the video). First you detach the airbox and push it back, then you loosen the carbs as shown in the video and push them to the rear a bit as well. They're now free, but they're trapped in there. Removing that left intake runner is then easy to do, and it opens up a big space that you can pull the carbs through. You don't need to remove the right one.

Last futzed with by adouglas; May 11th, 2010 at 07:18 AM. Reason: Edited to clarify the petcock thing
adouglas is offline   Reply With Quote