View Single Post
Old May 10th, 2010, 08:43 PM   #3
TheDuck
Da Duckman

Name: Duckman

Motorcycle(s): '08 250R, '06 Chopper, '80 Puch Magnum II, '01 SV650, '99 CR250/CR500AF Sportbike. '02 CRF450/CR500AF Dirt

Quote:
Originally Posted by adouglas View Post
Nice job, Duck.

A couple of additions/comments while my own removal is fresh in my so-called mind (I just did it yesterday).

- The carb drain screws are not at all hard to get to IF you have a long hex wrench. They're even offset from one another so you can access both of them from the right side of the bike. I've got a set of super-sized hex wrenches that came with my bicycle toolkit. They work just fine... no issues. If you don't have one of these, then forget trying to reach those screws.

- If you drain the tank before taking it off, you really don't need to worry about setting it down on the petcock. I just put mine on its nose. and leaned it up against something handy.

- For those who still have the airbox installed, the carbs can't come out to the rear, but it's not hard to get them out through the left side of the frame. Just remove the left rubber intake runner (the one you've plugged with paper in the video). First you detach the airbox and push it back, then you loosen the carbs as shown in the video and push them to the rear a bit as well. They're now free, but they're trapped in there. Removing that left intake runner is then easy to do, and it opens up a big space that you can pull the carbs through. You don't need to remove the right one.
You've got some good suggestions, but no I don't have a long enough allen key (and I hate those damn things anyways) and I can't get my banana fingers in there with a shorter tool, lol!

I've still managed to get the carbs out of the top/back with the airbox in. I removed the clamps from the airbox boots and rolled them back like a condom, loosened the airbox and pushed it back as far as it would go. Then removed the intake runners and presto. Maybe a litlte more work, but it did work! One thing is for sure... it was easier to get the airbox boots back on, just roll them back down and they snap back into position over the carbs!

As far as the petcock, you should never set the tank on the petcock. One wrong move, and :: broke :: you won't be happy. Its not meant to be load-bearing. Standing the tank up is a good idea, though! But my tank has a lot of gas in it. It probably would have leaked out of the cap and out the overflow spigot.
TheDuck is offline   Reply With Quote