View Single Post
Old July 2nd, 2010, 06:33 PM   #28
headshrink
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Bob

Motorcycle(s): '08 Ninja 250r, '14 CBR500r

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sailariel View Post
Doc, The problem is that our Ninja has two catalytic converters. By law, you are not allowed to remove a catalytic converter on any vehicle. That is an emissions issue. The noise issue is something altogether different and is regulated by the states. In Maine the acceptable level will be 62db at 50 Feet at quarter throttle. I don't have a problem with that. The Ninja is a bit "buzzy" sounding, but for a 250, it sounds ferocious. Compare it to other 250cc bikes. I like the stock muffler. It does get somewhat louder with time as the packing wears. I have a Ninja 250 go by my house every day on his way to work and back---going about 40mph. It sounds pretty nice to me. I would like to think that the Kawa engineers put a lot of thought into the 250---all of them. They would really not like to screw up their best selling bike.
So if the state is primarily concerned with db, and feds emissions (removal of cat.), wouldn't that make it illegal in every state to install an aftermarket pipe, assuming it doesn't have a cat in it?
headshrink is offline   Reply With Quote