View Single Post
Old November 27th, 2010, 03:07 PM   #1
Den
ninjette.org member

Name: Denis

Motorcycle(s): '10 250R(sold); '10 ER-6F

DIY: Installing Spy 5000m Alarm Remote Start

I've seen this system mentioned previously, but didn't see any guides on how to do it. After spending about 2 weeks on the internet and 8+ hours working on the bike, here are the results.

Summary of working components:
[] Unit brain, siren
[] Flashing indicators
[] Battery
[] Ignition
[] Infra-red sensor
[] LED blinker
[] Remote start (issue to be sorted)

Disclaimer: I hold no responsibility for any damage that may occur as a result of carrying out this diy. If you're in doubt what you're doing please seek professional advice.

I din't take any pictures of the alarm system before installing (no patience obviously), but here is an idea what it looks like (picture borrowed from elsewhere):

First of all, you will need to take off the following components:
SIDE PANELS
BOTH SEATS
REAR FAIRINGS
BATTERY COVER
BATTERY
BATTERY HOLDER

(Don't loose any of the screws and remember where each goes!)

The siren (behind the fuse box) and the brain unit (above the siren in the picture) are already installed in this picture.

Here is an other view with the battery removed. You may see there is a lot of wiring. The brain unit is navy blue and can be seen on the left hand-side of the siren.

Cables

The fixing of the cable may appear rather self explanatory by the connections. The cable lots are as follows:

Antenna - BLACK (thicker cable)
Grounding - BLACK (ends with a ring)
Siren - WHITE AND RED
Infrared - RED AND BLUE
LED blinker - RED AND BLACK

Main wiring (single colour wires)
2 x YELLOW
BROWN
PINK
GREY
BLUE
BLACK
RED

For now these all look pretty complicated, but once they end up in the right places it all becomes a lot easier.

I placed the antenna in the tail. Wiring was easy to follow alongside some existing wires.

Connect the RED wire to the positive (+) battery.
Connect the BLACK wire to the negative (-) battery.
Or attached the grounding cable to the frame, either should do the job.

Find two YELLOW cables, and connect them to indicator wirings, as in these pictures:

Right side: Plug one YELLOW cable together with GREY.
Left side: Plug one YELLOW cable together with GREEN.

I fed the LED cable alongside the fairings, and secured it in a small gap between the fairings next to the windscreen. I didn't fancy drilling holes in any panel, etc...

Now you can use basic alarm functions. You can arm/disarm the alarm, and indicators/LED will blink accordingly.

Next, the ignition needs to be wired up.

Get the fuse box and REMOVE "IG" FUSE out.

Into the place where the fuse was, on the back where the wiring goes into the fuse box, locate a thick brown cable, and connect PINK and BROWN wires from the alarm. Connect the GREY wire into the corresponding location.

This step is optional, but if you consider having a remote start, here is what should be done:

The BLUE wire needs to connect with the YELLOW/RED wire inside the start relay, right next to the main fuse:

I've tried, and it turns the engine, but doesn't start it.

As many of you may know, there is an anti-jacking security device fitted to our bikes, so it can't be 'hot wired'. Because of this the remote start won't work.

I will contact the company who sold me the alarm, as they know a way to bypass this security feature. If it works for me I shall update you all.

I hope it was any useful

Enjoy!

Last futzed with by Den; November 29th, 2010 at 12:19 PM.
Den is offline   Reply With Quote