View Single Post
Old February 24th, 2011, 04:07 PM   #16
Misti
ninjette.org sage

Name: Misti

Motorcycle(s): currently: Yamaha YZF 250 dirt/motard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xoulrath View Post
On the seat? LOL, sorry I couldn't resist.

I sit against the front of the rear passenger seat, but I'm 6'2". My legs fit perfectly in the tank indents and this is the absolute best riding position for me for both comfort and control.
Good point about sitting at a place where your legs fit perfectly into the tank indents. This is really important as it helps you stabilize your lower body. When your lower body is stable and connected to the bike then it allows your upper body to remain relaxed.

I'm fairly small, 5"3 and I sit in the middle of the seat where my knees fit into the tank and my arms can stay bent.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sailariel View Post
Misti, I am usually a bit back from the tank--Corbin seat allows that. I find that too far forward introduces a slightly squirrelly response. I am used to that from bicycle racing. You will, after a while find your comfort zone. Just take it easy, and it will all come together.
Interesting that you say that sitting close induces a slightly squirrelly response...can you explain why you think that might happen???

Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by m11 View Post
I'm 5'9'' and I sit up against the tank. I feel that i have more control over the bike and can flick it around quicker. When I sit further back against the seat cowl, I feel like I lose leverage on the bike.

I also noticed that when I'm pushing the bike on the highway, my tuck places my head pretty far up the gas tank towards the handlebars.

Additionally, I've noticed that when I'm seated closer to the tank, I can maintain a very 'loose' posture and I can essentially take my hands of the handlebars. I'll add that I have slightly longer arms than average (+2 for golf club measurements) and I have relatively shorter-to-average legs (i'm built pretty well for a squat and deadlift but pretty poorly for the bench).

The caveat is that I'm speaking out of complete ignorance -- I've only got a few months in the saddle and I cannot seem to find much good information on proper position. I'd love to hear a technical explanation of what to look for in a good seating position.
Thanks for posting your opinion and also the fact that you are a newer rider that hasn't found much info on the topic.

I don't think there is one specific place that is perfect for all riders but there are a few things to consider when finding a comfortable place to sit. As mentioned above, sitting where your knees are able to fit into the tank cutouts is helpful as it allows you to become stable with your lower body and helps keep your upper body relaxed.

You mention that your arms are relax which is really good. How might sitting back in the seat effect that way you have leverage on the handlebars? When you countersteer do you push DOWN on the bars or FORWARD? How might your seating position effect this?

Quote:
Originally Posted by m11 View Post
gfloyd, perhaps you may not be gripping the tank with your knees?

When I was practicing stopping quickly, I noticed that when I gripped the tank, I wouldn't slide forward due to my body's momentum.
Very good point. Gripping the tank with your knees while riding and especially when stopping quickly will help prevent you from sliding forward into the tank. If you still find yourself sliding forward even if you are gripping you might want to consider tank grips like STOMP or TECH SPEC.

Cheers!

Misti
Misti is offline   Reply With Quote