View Single Post
Old September 4th, 2011, 12:45 AM   #22
NathanF
ninjette.org member

Name: Nathan

Motorcycle(s): 2009 V-Strom 650 ABS

Quote:
Originally Posted by setasai View Post
I just checked mine. It "might" have a similar heat spot showing up but it doesnt look nearly as large as yours. Might be the picture. Good question. Not sure what to do about this and I'm also surprised because none of my research has shown it to have issues with exhaust heat.

How badly does it look? I'm considering just putting some heat shield foil on the bottom of the case and call it day. You know the stuff that people wrap around vents? Some kind of aluminum tape. It doesnt look disfiguring or anything but only time will tell.

Is your's right under on top of the muffler or does it look like it's where the exhaust gases might hit the case?

I have about half inch of space so I doubt it'd change anything. it's radiating heat that affects it.
If anything, the spot looks worse in real life than the pictures, so mine is probably worse than yours. Mine was mounted closer though, so that makes sense.

I just took an ill advised 20 min night ride to test my remounting. The IR meter showed above 200 degrees, but it was not 250, and the hot spot was further back on the corner. So that is a definite improvement.

As for something to really fix it, I've been thinking about it. The real issue is heat, so attaching a metal plate would not be a great idea. I'm also not a real fan of anything sticky, like tape. Here are a few random ideas:

1) An offset metal plate. Something that is attached to the bottom of the bracket mount, or less preferred attached to the bag with spacers. That should deflect the heat without transferring it into the bag.

2) Insulation of some kind:

a) I stopped by an Autozone today. In the muffler repair section, I found a bracket designed to patch a hole in an exhaust. It comes with a fabric, ceramic material that is probably a great insulator. It's only like 2" x 4" though. Then again, that's about the size of the hot spot on the bag, so somehow adhering that would probably do the trick.

b) Attach a soldering blanket. They're used for doing plumbing soldering with a torch. You put them behind your joint, to protect the wall from catching fire while you heat up the pipe.

3) Deflect the exhust somehow.

Insulation is probably the simplest thing, but the devil is in the details how to mount it in a way that looks halfway decent, doesn't harm the expensive bags, and is permanent.
NathanF is offline   Reply With Quote