View Single Post
Old February 29th, 2012, 07:31 PM   #1
Jono
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Jono

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Triumph Street Triple, 2009 KLX250SF, 2003 Suzuki SV650S (Sold), 2006 Ninja 250 (Sold)

Bent Frame....What would you do?

So I crashed a while back and have slowly been fixing my bike up into a ride-able condition.

This happened:

The main issue was the front end of the bike. The left fork (not brake rotor side) had a minor bend along with the left handle bar and I though that was my only problem. So I bought a set of straight forks and put them on. My bike still had issues, I couldn't align the front end. So then I thought, well I guess the triple tree is bent. So I bought a straight used complete triple tree. Put it on and guess what? Still wasn't straight. I started really looking at the frame at the steering stem to find that is was bent. AHHHHHH. So that is where I am at. I rode the bike today to see how bad it would be if I rode the bike with a bent frame. Well terrible idea. Braking is scary because the forks change direction because they are not aligned. And it is annoying that the handle bars have to be turned right to go straight.

Bent frame at steering tube:

What should I do? Part out the bike? Buy a used frame for +200 plus bucks in hopes that it is straight. (If I did that I would have to get the title from that frame and register it to make it be legal then there are many other issues that may arise with that plan. Such as registration fees, title fees, insurance fees. Right?)

Summary: Steering tube is bent, causes problems while riding. Can't ride like this. Don't know what to do now. Help!

What would you do?

I guess I wouldn't mind trying to sell it as a parts bike or sell parts individually. I brought upon this terrible situation when I crashed. As far as the parts I bought when trying to fix my bike. Well I am stupid. I should have looked at the frame first. But it was my first bike and my first crash. So, you live and you learn I guess. I am just happy that I lived. Haha.

*Alex: Please leave this post in the general motorcycling discussion thread! I want as many responses as possible. And it is kinda a general question. Thanks!
Jono is offline   Reply With Quote