Old March 18th, 2012, 08:40 AM   #40
choneofakind
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: .

Motorcycle(s): .

MOTM - Feb '13, Feb '14
Quote:
Originally Posted by csmith12 View Post
As a parent of 2 licensed drivers, I would strongly discourage my kids to get a bike as their first experience to the open road with other drivers. While I may have complete confidence in my kids and their ability to ride, I however do not have that same trust for others that share the road. Until the "experience" of reading, predicting & reacting is built, I would rather them cage it up for at least a short time.

Show your maturity and turn that pissed feeling into determination or anything else positive. Chin up! You got dis yo!
I always forget this point! My buddy started out on his CBR at age 15 1/2 with his temps. He's a great rider. He learned from his older brother in their neighborhood when he was 13 or so. He's the exception to the rule, but when he started riding, he was a little too aggressive in traffic, and I relate that to the fact that he wasn't used to traffic yet.

I on the other hand, have always been on a bicycle, and was road biking long before I had my drivers license or ninja. Now I'm on a mountain bike, a car, and a 250, and still on the road, and I can honestly say that the mentality of riding a road bike and a motorcycle (making a point of being visible and knowing everything else on the road is bigger and more deadly than you initially thought) has made me a more responsible driver. My mom even noted that I had become more smooth and more thoughtful in my actions on the road after I gave her a lift somewhere when her car was in the shop last summer.

As always, good point of view for perspective Chris
choneofakind is offline   Reply With Quote