View Single Post
Old June 5th, 2012, 08:28 AM   #7
Sonofswin
Old Guy, New Bike

Name: Mike

Motorcycle(s): 2011 Blue Ninja 250R, Yamaha SRV250

Mapping Adventure Update

So, I've been playing with the Power Commander maps on my bike for a while now and am hopefully getting closer.

[Note: I've attached a PDF showing the map data below for those of you who may be interested. The numbers are the percent change in the amount of fuel per given RPM & Throttle Position. Colored areas are where I've adjusted the data for my maps.]

The stock map [PDF page 3] worked wonders for the bike when it was all stock. It was a totally new experience.

Then, I put on the Tyga Racing exhaust, pulled my snorkel off and started using the Yoshimura maps [PDF pages 4 & 5] , starting with the "2009 Kawasaki Ninja 250 European model – Yoshi Full w/out Baffle" (Map # M17-035-503). It was alright, but I got a lot of popping on deceleration and a bit of backfire every now and then. So, I switched to the "2009 Kawasaki Ninja 250 European model – Yoshi Full w/ Baffle" (Map # M17-035-502). It seemed a bit better, but not a major difference except at the higher RPM's - where I notice much better pull to the red line. (I could red line it in 6th on the highway. )

Still a bit of popping around 4000~6000 RPM on deceleration, so {in my belief that running rich was causing the popping} I adjusted the map [PDF page 1] by leaning it out in those areas. It seemed to work and the bike ran very well on a 3 hour twisty adventure in the mountains. BUT, the mechanic I was riding with said I should plug the KLEEN system to stop the popping and upon doing that the next day, I found that my fairing was being melted by the exhaust (See thread here.) which started a whole 'nother adventure.

So, to make a long story short, he said I was probably running too lean, (plugs look alright to me, but they've been in there since I got the bike and I've only run this set-up for about 1000km. You guys think it looks lean?) making the engine too hot and causing the popping on decel. SO, I have adjusted the map much more broadly [PDF page 2] . I will install it tomorrow before heading to work and if it works well, I will post it in the Map Database.

Then all I need to do is take it up north and check my AFR/RPM on the dyno at the Harley shop to make sure I'm heading in the right direction.

As usual, any advice/comments/good 1-liners will be appreciated.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Plug June 2012.jpg (104.1 KB, 7 views)
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Map Data June 4 2012.pdf (74.8 KB, 29 views)
Sonofswin is offline   Reply With Quote