View Single Post
Old June 12th, 2013, 04:37 PM   #70
abhijitz
ninjette.org sage

Name: Abhijit

Motorcycle(s): Many Two Wheels ..

Hi, so when you are referring to edges, you mean the surface, correct? As, one surface side of the metal plate is smooth/roundish other side is flat. On the 08+ manual there is no mention which surface should be placed towards the bike or away from the bike. I had put the flat surface towards the bike when i changed my clutch last year. [And that is how OEM plates were placed]. Is it specifically mentioned in the 2007 manual on the surface orientation?

Also, does the 2007 manual call for any thickness spec for the metal plates?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Purspeed View Post
The last image is of a new metal plate. You will want all of the "sharp" edges of the new metal plate pointed AWAY from the bike when installing. The "sharp" edge is difficult to see in the picture, but when you see them in person, you will notice that on one side of the disc edge, it is softer than the other side. This is due to the stamping process of manufacturing the metal plates. Why do you want the "sharp" edges pointed outward? Because, theoretically, when the pressure plate pushes on the discs, the "soft" edge will not sheer the hub (housing) edges and be smooth in actuation. Some say that as long as the "sharp" or "soft" edge run in the same direction, you are okay.

The Kawasaki manual states that the sharp edges should be pointed to the outside of the bike.
[ex-AFM #828 | SMUSA #828 |
Sponsors : MotionPro | LeoVince | Insurrection Racing Gloves | QstarZ Laptimers
+ OEM Parts @ 30-40% OFF : Harry @ 1-877-437-1631,17 harry@hondaeasttoledo.com
abhijitz is offline   Reply With Quote