View Single Post
Old October 21st, 2013, 08:23 AM   #11
IF13
WOT WOT WOT

Name: Ken

Motorcycle(s): '12 Ninja 250R

Quote:
Originally Posted by Motofool View Post
You can experiment closing the vents, but the main source of wind noise is the zone of turbulence created behind your neck and under the rear portion of the edge of the helmet.

Try blocking any direct opening from that zone to your ears and you may feel a great improvement.

Helmets' cushioning material is molded for a generic head shape; hence, it will not perfectly conform to your specific shape and there may be tunnels that connect your ears to the turbulent exterior.

Ear plugs will never be able to cancel 100% of the noise because some is transmitted through the bones surrounding the inner ear.

While on the highway and wearing plugs, I can hear everything happening around me, only that at a lower level.

Read this article:
http://www.webbikeworld.com/motorcyc...lmet-noise.htm

Link to original page on YouTube.

This thread really has me thinking about the earplugs now. I need to get some that are better fitted and guaranteed at the db rating it's rated for.

As for wind noise, it's more.....there's two types of wind noise I'm hearing. One's a whistling noise that happens moreso at high speed (which really, really bothers me) and than the generic wind noise that gradually gets more intense as the speed increases (which this helmet does a decent job of stifling).

The noise is kind of like when you blow on the edge of a dollar bill but not as intense.