View Single Post
Old March 20th, 2014, 07:02 AM   #84
ai4px
ninjette.org sage

Name: Wes

Motorcycle(s): 650r 2009 Vulcan 800 2005

Quote:
Originally Posted by rasta View Post
Is it the one by JooVuu? Post a review when you get it!
I got the joovuu case in yesterday. It's a mixed bag.

The good... the back 1/2 of the case is a metal casting that will be a good heat sink. The relases on the sides are good and solid. It comes with some foam tape to conduct the heat away... it'll rub off after a few times but they send quite a bit extra with it. You've got to remove the camera from the back of the housing to recharge it, so this is going to be an issue.

The housing has a small thin strip on each side that fits into the slits on the side of the camera housing. This keeps the camera from rattling inside and also provides a 1mm gap at the bottom between the camera and the housing just in case there is a leak.

The seal is silicone and is a little tricky to get in the little groove around the joint between the front and back of the case. Once it's in, it's super.

The threaded 1/4-20 insert for mounting is stainless, but the teeny tiny screws that hold the mount on are ferrous.

The buttons on top are much better and more tactile than the buttons on the camera itself. Nearly glove friendly.

The bad... the lens cover has a flat silicone rubber gasket to go between the nose of the housing and the replaceable lens. When assembled per the instructions, it leaked a very small drip of water when submerged in my kitchen sink for 30 minutes. I took it apart and changed to order of the housing-lens-gasket-ring and it still leaked a drop. So I doubled the gasket like this: housing-gasket-lens-gasket-ring and it still got a drop inside. I'm stumped. I won't be taking it in my swimming pool. Part of the problem is the gasket is flat and distorts if you tighten the ring down too much. Way too much and it will actually peel out of the joint its supposed to seal.

They need to redesign the ring so it's conical on the sealing surface and then use an o-ring instead of the flat gasket.

That drop of water that go in? When I went outside and the sun hit my housing, the inside instantly fogged up.

As much as I'd like to support their product, I can't call it water proof. Rainproof sure, not water proof.

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.