View Single Post
Old June 12th, 2014, 08:50 AM   #25
akima
Nooblet

Name: Akima

Motorcycle(s): 2011 Ninja 250R FI

MOTM - Oct '13
The rider in the OPs video clearly doesn't have his priorities straight. Sure there were many people in the video that did the wrong thing. It doesn't matter. His frustration with them is clearly, severely effecting his ability to focus on his riding. His angry auto-pilot, responses to bad/dangerous driving is putting him in great danger.

He needs to assume ahead of time that the driver will do precisely the wrong thing. He needs to be prepared, present and aware so he can react appropriately to the potential dangers around him. I don't mean he (or anyone) should ride around tense and on edge; It's better to be calm.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Motofool View Post
"Presence is determined by a location in space. You have an address, you have a telephone number, you have a name, you have a size and a shape. These things, among others, determine your presence in the world around you. When it comes to riding, some riders have more presence than do others and you can see it. Call it telegraphing, call it anything you like, it is force-of-presence and is observable and it goes past the point of just occupying ones skin.

There is an outward bound force of some sort and it establishes the person who has it as something to be reckoned with, on a moment to moment basis. It is perhaps an attitude that results from being in good communication with your environment and that would make sense because those of us who are in good communication with their environment have more of a presence than those who do not." - Keith Code
That's a really beautiful quote. It rings true for me.

I'm not the most confident person, but on my bike I don't hold back. It's very clear in my mind that my life depends on my behaviour on my bike and as such everything else (including worries about what other people think of me) is low priority. As such I demand attention from other road users without hesitation. I weave my bike leading up to junctions with cars waiting, to grab their attention. I use my horn very pre-emptively if I think I don't have someone's attention. I position my bike in my lane so as to maximize the possibility of being seen and of being able to see dangers ahead of time.

I don't want to be a rider that blends in. The rules are different for bikers. I'm not in a cosy protective cage. My body is vulnerable and my environment is harsh. I unapologetically draw the attention of those around me and all my decision making is based on physics; not on what people should do, or what they will hopefully do and in some cases not even what I legally must do. Physics trumps all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by supersport View Post
The fact is, cars will occasionally just come out of nowhere. You can't stop that no matter what. There is a million more cars per one motorcycle. What are the chances of everyone of them driving spectacular and know the perspective of a motorcyclist?
I drove cars before I got my bike and during that bikeless period of time I had absolutely no idea what it was like for bikers and I didn't pay them much attention. Most of my attention revolved around road signs, traffic lights and other cages.

I don't expect many non-bikers are much different to how I was.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aggrotech View Post
but ive seen someone burn to death right in front of me simply because some asshole thought his phone was more important and decided not to stop...so wtf do i know.
That's both infuriating and incredibly sad.
akima is offline   Reply With Quote

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.