View Single Post
Old October 10th, 2014, 10:24 PM   #11
leed
ninjette.org sage

Name: David

Motorcycle(s): Time will tell

I don't think your average 3D printer will be worth creating a complete part if your blinker will be on a 4 inch stalk. Blinkers not only vibrate, but they flex a ton with every bump and unless you beefed it up I would expect it wouldn't take too long for a printed part to shear at a single layer after riding. If you wanted to make a short stalk signal [like a flush mount], you'd be perfectly fine [except for maybe UV exposure? -- Use some UV rated clear coat/paint]

Quote:
Originally Posted by choneofakind View Post
Our SAE Baja team has printed parts for their brake bias linkages. Still using them a year later.
I'm wondering if your SAE Baja team doesn't use their brakes, or they're using sintered metal and not plastics! Even at full density, I would be very surprised if a part made from an FDM printer would hold up! Well, at least of a reasonable size. Still pretty awesome either way!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Klondike1020 View Post
where is a pic of these? and why would it be any better than injection molded plastic?>
3D printers are common for prototyping and one of designs. Extremely useful for many things, though. Depending on complexity, the time and cost to create something you can hold/install is much less.
leed is offline   Reply With Quote