Old October 22nd, 2014, 02:17 PM   #22
dcj13
Participant

Name: Dave

Motorcycle(s): '94 K75 std

MOTM - Aug '15
Quote:
Originally Posted by adouglas View Post
This has all been hashed over, so use your search button and look at some of the threads.

My $0.02:

Fit. Yes. Fit. That is the first priority. Also the second, third, and fourth.

Make sure the helmet is not only comfortable, but that it's tight enough. Many people have helmets that are a bit too big because they seem more comfortable at first. Your cheeks should be smushed a little and move with the helmet when you try to rotate it. You shouldn't be able to pull the helmet forward so that it drops down over your eyes. You should position the helmet so your eyes are in the center of the viewport.

Be aware that a new helmet will fit a bit snug. The liner foam will compress with use.
I agree with Captain Oblivious on this one 100%: provided it's at least DOT rated, fit is 1 through 4 in importance.

Number 5 would be comfort (which you probably get with fit).

Numbers 6 and 7 are price and appearance. You don't want to get a $600 helmet if you can't afford it (I wouldn't want to spend that much even though I could afford it). And you might not want the pink "Hello Kitty" Arai even though it fits like a dream. (Then again, that might suit you to a tee. Dunno, don't really know you).
dcj13 is offline   Reply With Quote