View Single Post
Old February 10th, 2015, 08:06 AM   #60
FreelancerMG
ninjette.org member

Name: Chris

Motorcycle(s): 2013 Ninja 300, 2001 V-Star 1100 Classic

Quote:
Originally Posted by liberpolly View Post
I think engine volume limitations are silly, for example my 900 Triumph is as docile as a donkey.

But government already requires passing test to get a motorcycle license. It won't be any more intrusion on freedom to require to pass another test for 100HP motorcycle, and a separate test for 200HP motorcycle, or somesuch. It is not just for the riders' own good, it is also for other people who share public roads with us. As they say, your liberty ends where another person's liberty begins.
Except it's rarely the rider's fault when they have a multi-vehicle collision when sober and riders that are overwhelmed and screw up tend to have their own personal single vehicular event. Versus a car driver that's driving in over their head who tend to have multi-vehicle collisions and usually injure and kill other people beyond just themselves.

Motorcyclists rarely if ever take out other people with them when they crash unless they have a passenger. I'm not too worried about some idiot kid on a liter bike as I am some punk kid in that Suburban driving and texting.

Also an initial license is enough of an ass pain in paperwork and red tape. Tiered licensing would just add another burden to our under-funded DMV system, an unjustifiable burden to the licensee in both time and money that isn't there for the other motorists. Automobile drivers by far kill OTHER people far more than a motorcyclist does. It's incredibly rare for a motorcyclist to kill a non-passenger in a collision but automobiles do it all the time to the tune of a person every 30 minutes. But we're going to penalize motorcyclists with extra process, pointing the finger at the kid on the R1 while the kid in the SUV murders a family or that semi-truck driver runs over a dozen motorcyclists. Again, saying that it's "for the good of the people" is a very slippery slope to go down on as it sets a precedent for other limitations and processes ala the Patriot act. I know some people want a tiered system for vanity purposes. They want to hold the highest tier license to lord it over those with a lower license or as a top tiered club member. They merely want some official stratification that makes themselves look more important so that they can say that they're top tier.
FreelancerMG is offline   Reply With Quote