adouglas
Cat herder

Name: Gort
Location: A secret lair which, being secret, has an undisclosed location

Motorcycle(s): Aprilia RS660

MOTM - Jul '18, Nov '16, Aug '14, May '13
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jono View Post
I also don't like that there isn't a safety. I know that shouldn't be a deciding factor but I'd just like to have one. I will probably be taking the class in either March or April....

I'm not really sure how often I will carry. I feel like if I get a gun that is just too large/uncomfortable to carry I won't. So I need something that is still big enough that it is fun to shoot at the range but small enough to conceal. I know for sure that I don't want anything smaller than something the size of a Shield.
As with many things related to firearms, having a manual safety is a highly divisive topic. Glocks DO have multiple safeties, just not MANUAL safeties. Put your finger on the trigger and it goes bang. So... keep your finger off the trigger, m'kay?

My $0.02 is that if you train yourself to use a manual safety it is not a drawback. Personally I prefer a manual safety on a carry gun, but own guns that don't have one.

Your observation about carry comfort is a very important point. If you intend to carry a gun and it's too uncomfortable to actually wear, then what's the point? It becomes a range toy or a bedside stand gun. So if you want to carry, buy a gun that you like to carry. If you want a toy, buy a toy. There's no harm in having more than one gun....

I have a full-sized M&P for fun, a Shield (with thumb safety) for IWB carry, a pocket-sized Kahr for when I can't carry in my waistband, and a couple of 1911s because they're freakin' gorgeous and a pleasure to shoot. I am a fan of the M&Ps and recommend them highly. I used to have a 9c but traded it in... see below.

Re capacity, Shield vs. 9c: The 9c is a double-stack with a 12-round mag, so with the Shield you give up four or five rounds depending on which mag you carry. The 9c is almost exactly the same size as the Shield but fatter. You'll get endless "oh, look, I'm a skinny guy and I carry a big fat double-stack pistol no problem" input. It's like those who ride bikes with high seats telling short people it's not an issue. If you find it uncomfortable, it IS an issue for you.

As it happens I traded in my M&P9c on a Shield about a week ago, for this very reason. The thinness makes a HUGE difference. I found the 9c too bulky, so I didn't carry it. See the above... why is this carry gun not being carried? POINTLESS!! Get some experience before you decide the grip is too thin. What matters is how you shoot with it.

Re the M&P triggers: They do smooth out with use, and they've improved over the years. You can also get a drop-in trigger kit from Apex Tactical that makes the trigger REALLY nice.

Speaking of triggers, that's something else to consider when thinking about a carry gun vs. a range gun. I have never found myself in a life-threatening situation and pray that I never do. But I do know this: When the adrenaline starts pumping your gross motor skills go out the window. You won't even feel the weight of the trigger (words of my tactical instructor, not me). That means a trigger that's too light is probably not a good idea in a carry gun. It is a very good idea in a range gun, on the other hand.

Nam et ipsa scientia potestas est.
Heri historia. Cras mysterium. Hodie donum est. Carpe diem.
adouglas is offline   Reply With Quote

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.