View Single Post
Old May 26th, 2009, 06:58 AM   #14
Sailariel
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Alex

Motorcycle(s): 2010 Honda NT-700-V, formerly, Green 2008 Ninja 250R

Wayne, You make a good point---accidents will happen no matter what your experience level is. I don`t buy the notion that motorcycling is an inherently dangerous sport. It is no more dangerous than riding a bicycle on the road, driving a cage, skydiving, or SCUBA diving. All these activities require a high degree of vigilance and split second decision making. Before I execute any move, I remind myself of the acronym TOTC (Think Of The Consequences), and what was drilled into my head in Ranger School, "Always expect the unexpected." When one is constantly told that a behaviour is dangerous, it almost becomes a self fulfilling prophecy. I am definitely not advocating that we should ignore the fact that in a crash we would in all probability be hurt, and therefore sally forth with reckless abandon. Sure, we all know an unfortunate chap who crashed on his/her motorcycle, but we also know many people who crash in cages. There is no way that we can cover all contingencies--accidents happen. I often think of my friend, Robbie, who did four tours in Vietnam as a Ranger. He went home on leave, stepped off the curb, and was run over by a bus and killed instantly. --sort of makes you wonder.
Sailariel is offline   Reply With Quote