View Single Post
Old August 10th, 2009, 06:18 PM   #31
Purspeed
ninjette.org guru

Name: Purspeed

Motorcycle(s): 2007 Ninja 250

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ramen View Post
That sounds logical. If anything, the ribbed side will give the throttle cable less area to rub against, which means less friction and a smaller chance of possible binding.

I just preformed this mod and I have to say I'm impressed. I never did like the slop it had. Shifting to second and third was always a little jerky and rev matching while engine braking was a bit troublesome. The only problem is that I'm much more likely to WOT at every possible opportunity for awhile, dropping my MPG significantly.

Once again, Ninjette.org FTW! Muchos gracie, Purspeed.

BTW, definitely rough up the smooth side for better glue adhesion. The sanding wheel that came with my Dremel made it a snap.
From what I understand, a ribbed surface gives better grip. That's why nature gave us fingerprints. But, at the same time, there's a reason why race machines use slicks...

Purspeed's Double Zip Tie Mod

1. Do all of the steps above.

2. Glue on another zip tie right on top of the first.

3. Grab a Dremel tool and use a circular grinding bit. What you are going to do is to grind down the areas starting at both ends and moving inwards about 3/4" (.75") to a nice taper. The zip ties should look like a cresent moon shape when viewed from the side.

If you grind this properly, then you should not experience binding. Do not be afraid to remove material. As a matter of fact, you will be grinding away most of the second zip tie (at the area close to both of the ends).

Why the grinding? Because it prevents binding! (yes, it rhymes...

Now, I have not ridden the bike, but I have spent 5-8 minutes revving the throttle to ensure a bind free solution.

If you just glue the second zip on top of the first, then you will certainly have binding. For this to work, you have to grind down the second zip tie so that it tapers off nice and gently towards the ends (where the cables are hooked into the plastic grip).

It appears that the thickness along the body (away from the edges) is what takes up the slack. So, when you grind away toward the ends, the removed material doesn't defeat the purpose. You still only need 1/4 twist to get WOT (Wide Open Throttle).

I will test ride the bike again tomorrow and post my findings.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg crescent_~Crescent.jpg (11.7 KB, 18 views)

"This is my Ninja. There are many like it, but this one is mine..." ~ Purspeed (ca. Nov, 2008)
Purspeed is offline   Reply With Quote