View Single Post
Old July 19th, 2012, 04:32 PM   #8
cuong-nutz
RIP Alex

Name: Cuong

Motorcycle(s): '10 250r, '09 265r

I used the video link as guide to replace both my chain and sprocket. I cheated and used a grinder with a cutting wheel to cut the chain off.
  1. Remove shifter pedal (10mm)
  2. Remove countershaft sprocket cover (8mm). Clean all that crud out!
  3. flatten washer sprocket nut (hammer and flat head screwdriver)
  4. stand on brake pedal and torque the sprocket nut loose (long breaker/cheater bar + 27mm socket) You can put it in gear if you have but I don't think that's safe.
  5. Loosen the rear the rear sprocket nuts Stand on the rear brake if you have to (14mm)
  6. Use a grinder and cut the chain through. No need to try and grind the rivets off.
  7. Loosen chain adjuster nuts (12mm and 10mm)
  8. Remove cotter pin from axle castle nut (needle nose pliers)
  9. Remove axle (17mm + 24mm)
  10. Slide wheel out.
  11. Remove rear sprocket and install new sprocket. You can torque them now with wheel the off or when wheel is back on.
  12. Remove front sprocket and clean up all the crud in the area.
  13. Install new sprocket with flat side facing you. Don't forget to install the washer before the nut.
  14. Install rear wheel. I use my foot under the wheel to guide it back up. Torque rear sprocket nuts if you have not already.
  15. Stock chain is 106 links. If you have a longer chain, cut it to size. you should count 52 side plates on one side of the chain and cut off the next plate since this is where your master link will be. You can use a chain breaker or your grinder.
  16. Pull your chain through from over the rear sprocket round the front and back.
  17. Lube your master link generously and install the o-rings on it. Squeeze the master link together and install your clip or rivet it. (Pliers, channel locks, riveter)
  18. Adjust chain tension and rear tire alignment.
  19. Torque axle down and reinstall cotter pin.
  20. Torque the front sprocket nut and bend the washer down so the nut will not back off.
  21. Reinstall sprocket cover and shifter.
  22. Press on rear brake.
  23. Lube the chain.
  24. Go for test ride. Take it easy and give the chain some time to break-in and stretch. Don't be popping wheelies or doing burn outs!

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.