View Single Post
Old July 5th, 2011, 09:27 PM   #8
NathanF
ninjette.org member

Name: Nathan

Motorcycle(s): 2009 V-Strom 650 ABS

Great work! I'm excited to see more people working on this.

Some ramblings: Before redoing entire project due to looks, get some plugs for the ends and paint it black. I bet that will make it down right disappear. Remember, because you painstakingly built it, you will focus on it and see every flaw there is. This is also why food tastes better when someone else makes it.

Another thought - what about making the side rack brackets easily removable? I see that you have two bolts that connect a T bracket from the bike mounted bar to the bag-holding bars. Instead of two predrilled holes, you could cut a channel such that you could slide in and tighten down some captive knob nuts for easy removal, rather than having carefully thread and wrench down two separate bolts. The question of stability (especially over a long ride) would be an issue, but it's something worth considering.

Keep us posted as you tinker with this. This is quite the engieering challenge, sinces it seems Kawasaki has done everything in their power to make adding saddle bags awkard and difficult. That's the cost of pretty I suppose.

Thanks for taking the time to take pics, it really contributes a lot!
NathanF is offline   Reply With Quote