View Single Post
Old August 7th, 2011, 11:40 PM   #27
setasai
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Brian

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Ninja 250R Green

Quote:
Originally Posted by NathanF View Post
No worries! I may actually be just fine without them, if you can answer a few questions:

1) Did you put a metal flatbar cross bar on top of the rear frame, like what is provided with the genuine Givi rack? Or did you just use the four existing bolt holes as is?

2) Is the frame mounted totally perpendicular to the four bolt holes, or did you build a slant in somewhere to make the bags sit more level?

3) Are the trapezoidal brackets you made 1 inch square tube as well, or something else?

Thanks.

By the way...right about now I'm dreaming of T-brackets. Welding is a lot more difficult than it looks.. I've already wasted $10 of metal just practicing, and I'm still not able to reliability produce good clean welds.
1) There is no metal flatbar. I thought it might be a concern/problem but I figured that the welds are factory made and most welds will probably be able to handle any weight I can throw at it. I do not have a topcase though. If I ever add a topcase to the same mount, I may add that flatbar cross bar. Be sure to use loctite on the nuts.

2) For sake of simplicity, I mounted them totally perpendicular. It kind of flows with the bike leaving them on an angle.

3) Yes, they are 1inch square tubing as well. Just cut so that the long side is 3inches and the short side is 1inch. Angle it so that you lose an even amount on each side. I should also mention that at the time, I was going to use steel so the trapazoidal brackets are steel but the rest are all aluminum. You will also want to use aluminum tubing as spacers to keep the brackets snug. Unless you have a better idea, let me know.

The T-brackets are actually very secure. I only have one complaint about it and that's the bolts. Had I known how to weld, i'd have done the T-brackets anyway but without bolts. Welds dont need to be super pretty. You can also use an angle grinder or dremel to clean up your welds and once you paint it, you wont see alot of the blemeshes. Goodluck and let me know if you have anymore questions.
setasai is offline   Reply With Quote