View Single Post
Old January 23rd, 2014, 12:34 PM   #26
InvisiBill
EX500 full of EX250 parts

Name: Bill

Motorcycle(s): '18 Ninja 400 • '09 Ninja 500R (selling) • '98 VFR800 (project) • '85 Vulcan VN700 (sold)

MOTM - Aug '15
Quote:
Originally Posted by broilmebk View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by dfox View Post
Personally, I'd stay away from using the brake light as your switched wire. The last thing you need is something to short while you're riding and lose your tail light. Pick something else. Personally, I picked the license plate light.
You make a good point about using the tail light as the switch wire; I was thinking about that exact scenario after I did the splicing. This was my first time attacking a wire install like this. My wire routing is dismal at best. Will definitely redo the wires at some point which is when I'll think about using the license plate light instead.
FYI, pretty much all the lights on the bike are powered off the taillight fuse (wiring diagram). Obviously messing with the actual wire going to the taillight increases the odds of problems with the taillight itself. However, the taillight, brakelight, plate light, and dash lights are all tied into the same "Taillight" circuit. If any of those short out and blow the fuse, you'll end up losing all those lights. Screwing up the plate light wire isn't that much better than screwing up the taillight wire in that sense.

Quote:
Originally Posted by broilmebk View Post
I was a little confused on where the fuse should be...I put it between the relay and grips. Is that not right?
Generally speaking, as close to the battery as possible. A fuse acts as a weak link that breaks before anything else gets damaged. If the fuse is a foot from the battery and blows, you still have 12" of hot wire that could short out. If it's only an inch from the battery, then you only have 1" of hot wire that could give you more problems.
InvisiBill is offline   Reply With Quote