View Single Post
Old January 23rd, 2014, 03:37 PM   #27
broilmebk
ninjette.org sage

Name: Brian

Motorcycle(s): '12 ninja 250r

Quote:
Originally Posted by InvisiBill View Post
FYI, pretty much all the lights on the bike are powered off the taillight fuse (wiring diagram). Obviously messing with the actual wire going to the taillight increases the odds of problems with the taillight itself. However, the taillight, brakelight, plate light, and dash lights are all tied into the same "Taillight" circuit. If any of those short out and blow the fuse, you'll end up losing all those lights. Screwing up the plate light wire isn't that much better than screwing up the taillight wire in that sense.

Generally speaking, as close to the battery as possible. A fuse acts as a weak link that breaks before anything else gets damaged. If the fuse is a foot from the battery and blows, you still have 12" of hot wire that could short out. If it's only an inch from the battery, then you only have 1" of hot wire that could give you more problems.
Thanks for the info Bill. I guess I can leave the switch wire the way it is. I'll move the fuse between battery and relay when I go about re-wiring the setup.

BTW, everything everybody says about these grips is true. It's a total godsend and by far the best mod I've done to my bike.
broilmebk is offline   Reply With Quote