View Single Post
Old May 2nd, 2010, 03:12 PM   #28
headshrink
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Bob

Motorcycle(s): '08 Ninja 250r, '14 CBR500r

Here is the latest on attempt #1. Once I am satisfied it is all dialed in, I'll add it to the jetting db.

Main Jet = #95
Needle = 3rd clip
Mixture screws = 2.5 turns out (ea.)

This is based on all the advise I have gotten, and threads I have read.
Removing and reinstalling the carb was so distasteful, I do NOT wish to do that again. It literally took all day just to do that. If I have to change jets again, I'm going to try it on the bike, as Vex did in his DIY. When I drilled the caps, I actually broke part of the metal wall off (screw went in too far and expanded the space a bit).... fortunately it was only the outer lip, and not close enough to the mixture screw to effect it in any way.

Once I got the carbs synced, I went for a test ride.....
Idle holds smooth.
When I blip the throttle, it MIGHT be falling slightly slow, but it isn't hanging at all.
There is a remarkable improvement in the low end and midrange. When I originally shimmed my OEM needles, things improved, but this was at least twice as good (happy about that).
Overall power-delivery feels relatively smooth and fairly linear, but it feels as if it should pull a LITTLE harder at the top end. I can't quite tell for sure if it is any better or worse than when I started though, it is pretty subtle. However, I suspect it MAY not have the top end boost at 9K+ RPM. Based on the better-than-expected performance change at low and mid RPM, I really do expect more up top. I'll be watching this over the next couple days.
Also, I need to watch for minor surging down low, and popping on decel.... I MAY have heard a couple very small pops, but I need more time in the saddle to be sure. I think the potential surging may have only been when warming up, but again, it may have been my imagineation.... will be watching for it.

How am I doing so far?
headshrink is offline   Reply With Quote