View Single Post
Old January 18th, 2014, 10:44 PM   #1
NevadaWolf
Certified looney toon

Name: Teri

Motorcycle(s): 2012 Ninja 250, 102k+ miles -- 2014 CB500X, 42k+ miles

MOTM Jul '13, Jul '14
DIY - Scottoiler vSystem (automatic chain oiler)

I didn't see a how to for this thing, so took pics as I installed mine. I chose the vSystem that uses the bike's vacuum over the eSystem that uses electricity. I purchased this directly from www.scottoiler.com and received it five days later.

The pictures below are for a 2012 Ninja 250 CA edition (so it has the extra evaporative system). However, the only difference I can tell is where the vacuum hose attachment is made.

First off, the box!

And inside the box!

Scottoiler provides two different types of oil, blue and red. The blue is good for 0-30°C or 32-86°F while the red is good for 20-40ºC or 68-104°F (obviously doesn't get really cold or hot in Scotland). I got blue for winter.

I prepped the bike by stripping off all the fairings on the left side of the bike, for ease of access to the emissions stuff and the chain.

Yes, my engine is filthy. Didn't clean it after the dust and rain storms last weekend. Shuddup.

The instructions say to locate the hose coming from the engine to the canister. On our bikes, there is a separator in the way and I had a tough time figuring out which one was which.

What finally worked was starting the bike up and pulling hoses off to feel which one had the suction.

THIS HOSE IS THE WRONG ONE! DO NOT CUT THIS HOSE!

This is the correct hose.

*snip* Insert the T junction and make sure you push the two sides back together tightly. Then add on the L-shaped Damper Elbow and the black vacuum hose.

The instructions offer a few places to install the dispenser. I didn't want to mess with the axle so chose to mount it to the place where the "Paddock Stand bobbin" goes. The bolt was too large for the small mounting plate so I used the large one between the bobbin and the spacer. (Pic shown when I had the mounting plate between the spacer and the swing arm. Its too big and moves around there.)

Next I placed the Dispenser Sleeve into the grove and tightened the clip down over it to hold it in place.

The initial alignment I found is mostly to find a place where either forward or reverse rotation of the wheel doesn't catch the nib. The mounting plate is meant to be bent inward to hold the nib at the right angle and distance from the sprocket. After some tinkering and trimming, I got it so where it sits about a hairs width away from the sprocket and high enough above the chain so the drop can actually fall.

I knew I wanted the reservoir under the back seat so went ahead and used the wipe provided to clean off old groady gunky lube grime from the swing arm and stuck on the clips that hold the hose.

Plugging the vacuum hose and dispenser hose into the reservoir just to see how it looks.

The kit supplies a lot of zip ties and the mounting bracket has holes along the bottom edge to zip tie however you need to wherever you want it. There is also some supplied bolts if you want to drill a hole through the bracket to mount that way. I trimmed the two hoses and tightened it all down.

Then you fill the reservoir with the supplied oil. This will be how you refill it also, so make sure the fill hole is accessible and positioned where it won't leak during refills.

After the reservoir is filled, the instructions call for a neat trick to prime the system. Turn the oil bottle right side up and use the air in the bottle to pressurize the whole system. Not included in the printed instructions but shown online is what I found by accident. Plug the filler hole using the rubber filler plug. Set the reservoir adjuster knob all the way to Prime. Remove the part of the hose from the filler plug with the breather opening and attach a piece of trimmed hose. Attach the other end to the filler nozzle from the oil bottle and squeeze. Repeat as necessary until all the air in the dispenser tube is gone.

Now comes the tricky part. Start the bike up and let it sit idling. Watch the dispenser nib for the drops to start forming. You can either start at Maximum and slow the flow down or turn the adjuster knob to Minimum and increase the flow. Ideally, it should be one drop per minute. I started from Minimum and increased it each minute until there was a nice drop every 60 seconds.

After I got it flowing right, since my bike was up on the stand, I put it into first gear and made sure the chain or sprocket didn't catch the nib as it was traveling around.

Some notes:
Originally I had the nib right up against the sprocket and that just made a mess with no clear drop forming as it just ran down. I pulled it away from the sprocket until the nib had a well defined drop at the end.

Then I found that the nib was too close to the chain. As the chain moved, it would catch the bottom of the drop and pull little bits off, preventing a solid drop from forming and resulting in an almost steady flow. So I raised the nib upward, keeping the same distance from the sprocket.

That's it! I did find I have to break my habit of just letting the bike idle while I finish gearing up, a few drops formed under the chain while I was standing there.

Anyway, hope this helps someone. If any more pictures or explanations are needed, I provide what I can.
Hold yourself to the same rules you expect others to follow.
NevadaWolf is offline   Reply With Quote

2 out of 2 members found this post helpful.