Old September 16th, 2012, 08:05 AM   #12
Motofool
Daily Ninjette rider

Name: Hernan

Motorcycle(s): 2007 Ninja 250

MOTY - 2016, MOTM - Dec '12, Jan '14, Jan '15, May '16
Quote:
Originally Posted by csmith12 View Post
.........For the street I kinda find myself falling back to what worked for me in the dirt while riding through the forest. That log, that branch, that rut will all put me down. I see it, react, find an escape and visually lock onto it and ride on. I find the street very similar, so many uncontrolled factors...

Yes, that is the point of this thread.

Most riders have been car drivers first, and that is dangerous regarding false sense of safety and lower attention level.

That new rider has gone through a MSF course, which explained what to do during an emergency situation.

That new rider has an easy ride for a while until that day, when a car crosses the path of the motorcycle.

From my own experience, I do know that at that moment nobody can think what end of the handlebar to push; if the situation is bad enough to endanger your life, the conscious brain is overridden buy the unconscious brain.

That part of the brain will decide what to do for survival (unfortunately not always the correct thing; like grabbing a handful of front brake just to lock the tire and fall): only through constant practice of the proper evasive maneuvers, that rider may have a chance of having an effective survival reaction.
Motofool is offline   Reply With Quote