View Single Post
Old June 22nd, 2016, 09:12 PM   #24
mgentz
Board Member

Name: ...

Motorcycle(s): 250R (street), 250R (dirt)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Racer x View Post
OK first I would as already stated check fluids and then try to start it. Maybe pull the plug and look for oil. Open the air box and look for oil.
Going into gear for a mile and spinning the engine to 17000 rpm cold is one problem. Very bad for piston skirts and bearings. Might have scuffed the rings and messed up that part.
Yes the oil and water are pumping and that is good. More than a mile or so and the fan would not come on and the friction heat would over heat the engine. I witnessed this with a car towing behind a motor home. Boiled the engine dry and cooked it.

Here is the kicker. Pulling the bike with the chain atached was spinning the transmission. All the gears are turning on the bearings and meshed together. The engine was not turning until it jumped into gear. So before the engine went into gear there was no oil flow to the spinning transmission. This might have done some damage. Only way to tell is try. Can't do anymore damage at this point.
Thank you for confirming what I thought. All he can do now is check the oil for shavings and try to start it.
mgentz is offline   Reply With Quote