View Single Post
Old May 22nd, 2009, 11:59 PM   #32
kkim

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShishkaBOMB View Post
I was searching for threads about "throttle lag" and found this one which i think might describe my situation.

My bike only has about 230mi and this just started to happen recently for some reason.

I noticed when i first took it out for a ride, pulling out from a stop and in first gear i would put the clutch into the usual friction zone while revving up to about 2000rpm. What was odd was that it didn't rev! I had to open the throttle a little bit more but by then it would just jump up out of nowhere.

I now have the bike on stands and the fairings off and am trying to fix this problem. I thought maybe it was throttle adjustments, but it seems fine. Bike is a CA model, 08, 230mi, idles at 1300.

When i start the bike it usually hesitates a bit, in cali warm weather. It will then idle after a bit of working but sounds like it's struggling. So i would put on the choke for a few seconds then turn it back off and get on my way. I try to start it up without the choke but it would be easier if it were on.

Anywho, when i slowly rev the bike it it seems fine. But if i were to open the throttle a little quicker it would lag, count 2 seconds, then it would jump up high. Sometimes it would stall.

Does shimming sound like what i need? Or could it be something else?

Thanks!
I think you have several problems here. First, you should be using the choke when you start the bike, unless the bike is already warmed up. Full choke, hit start button... bike rumbles to life and will eventually rev/idle at about 3k. I decrease the choke so the bike idles at about 2.5k. As it warms up, the idle will go back up to 3k, so you need to keep playing with the choke to keep it around 2.5k. After a few minutes, you can turn the choke off and the bike should idle at around 1500rpm.

Until the bike is fully warmed up (about 10-15minutes of riding w/ stock jetting), the throttle will have that noticeable lag if you gas it quickly. After the bike is warm, it should improve, but don't expect instant throttle response, even when warm, due to the CV carbs the bike comes with. It's just a characteristic of the carbs' design.

Whether you need to shim is another question, but shimming will not fix what you have described here.
kkim is offline   Reply With Quote