ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > 2008 - 2012 Ninja 250R > 2008 - 2012 Ninja 250R Tech Talk

Old December 7th, 2009, 01:51 PM   #1
RRTRIDER
ninjette.org member

Name: Andy

Motorcycle(s): 2008 Kawasaki Ninja 250R

Thumbs up GPI Industries Front/Rear Stand Review.

Whatsup Guys/Gals.
I just received my Go Pro Industries front/rear stands today and gonna do a review for those of you looking for motorcycle stands. First off, I decided on these because I read some good reviews and could not afford Pitbulls or Vortex stands. I was first gonna buy some T-rex's but I heard some bad reviews on them. I couldn't find any negative feedbacks on the GPI stands so I pulled the trigger. I am very happy with my decision. They are 1 3/8” mandrel bent tubular steel, one piece construction. The one piece construction part is the reason why I got these. Once I got the bike on the stands, I pushed the bike foward, backwards, sideways, sat on it, and made Vroom Vroom noises. The wheels work very well by the way. I can only compare them to Vortex rear stand that my brother has. I like these a lot better than Vortex because they are cheaper and it was so easy lifting the bike up by myself as compared to the Vortex. They are very solid, I give them two . Comes with front fork adapter for the front stand and for the rear, comes with both spool adapter and swingarm adapter if you don't have spools. These stands cost $140 new shipped if you buy directly from GPIIndustries.com, I won a set on Ebay for $130. I'm sure you can get them for a lot less if you are patient on bidding. Feel free to ask me if you guys have any questions or comments. Also what type if stands are you guys using and how much did you get them for?
Here is a link of some reviews.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_1184.JPG (167.4 KB, 49 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_1190.JPG (183.9 KB, 50 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_1192.JPG (185.5 KB, 53 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_1196.JPG (142.3 KB, 49 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_1194.JPG (205.9 KB, 56 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_1195.JPG (154.9 KB, 53 views)
RRTRIDER is offline   Reply With Quote

Old December 8th, 2009, 04:00 AM   #2
ninja250
You are sleeping

Name: Casey

Motorcycle(s): 2

Nice stands dude.
I just spent roughly $275 on mine with spools. Purchased in a shop though.
The front fork one was expensive.
http://www.ninjette.org/forums/showthread.php?t=34030
They are good and sturdy. Bike wont fall when up in the stands. No probs getting it into the stands either.

This is really the only way to maintain the bike on your own..
ninja250 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old December 9th, 2009, 07:35 PM   #3
TX_2Fiddy
ninjette.org member

Name: Rich

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Sunbeam Red Ninja 250R

Good lookin stands. I dont have any stands, been wanting to get sum soon tho.
TX_2Fiddy is offline   Reply With Quote

Old December 28th, 2009, 09:57 AM   #4
Nfiniti
ninjette.org member

Name: Nfiniti =)

Motorcycle(s): 2008 250R

You have just motivated me to get these stands!
Nfiniti is offline   Reply With Quote

Old December 28th, 2009, 10:01 AM   #5
Snake
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Rick

Motorcycle(s): 05 Blue Ninja 250

MOTY - 2017, MOTM - Jan '19, Oct '16, May '14
Great review, thanks for the pics.
Snake is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 19th, 2011, 04:35 PM   #6
NinjaZX
ninjette.org newbie

Name: Tiffany

Motorcycle(s): 09 ZX-6R

Thanks for the review!
NinjaZX is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 28th, 2011, 01:07 AM   #7
AMMOCAN
SLIME-R

Name: AMMOCAN

Motorcycle(s): *SOLD* '10 Kawasaki 250R SE A.K.A. SLIME-R *SOLD*

I am not sure if RRTRIDER is still around, as he created this thread a long time ago, but his review made me look into these stands/lifts. After communicating with GPI, I decided to start bidding on a set from ebay. It took a while, but today I finally won an auction for a pair of these for $108 OTD. If these are everything people are saying they are then I feel I truly got the most for my buck.

I don't have much experience with using this type of stand/lift and I have heard many different methods of how to lift your motorcycle (i.e. front first/rear first), which seems to vary on the individuals preference and even the model of stand. I am wondering what is the actual correct way to lift a motorcycle, especially with these type of stands/lifts.

Thank you,

Old March 28th, 2011, 01:37 AM   #8
kkim

rear first, then the front. do you have your spools for the swingarm, yet?
kkim is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 28th, 2011, 01:42 AM   #9
AMMOCAN
SLIME-R

Quote:
Originally Posted by kkim View Post
rear first, then the front. do you have your spools for the swingarm, yet?
Thanx KKim, as I know that if you are saying to lift the rear first then the front with this type of stand/lift then it is the correct way to do so.

No, I am still shopping around for some spools. Do you have any you would recommend using that isn't going to cost a ridiculous amount?

Thank you,

Old March 28th, 2011, 01:58 AM   #10
kkim

Quote:
Originally Posted by AMMOCAN View Post
Thanx KKim, as I know that if you are saying to lift the rear first then the front with this type of stand/lift then it is the correct way to do so.

No, I am still shopping around for some spools. Do you have any you would recommend using that isn't going to cost a ridiculous amount?

Thank you,
yes, rear first to stabilize the bike and hold it vertical, then lift the front.

I searched ebay when I needed some and went with what I thought would work. Think they were about $25.

Just be aware that the portion of the spool next to the swingarm needs to be about as slim as the mounting boss that is welded on the swingarm to avoid interference of the spool to the swingarm mounting area. Take a good look at your swingarm to get a better understanding of what I'm talking about. Base your decision on which spools to purchase on that.

kkim is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 28th, 2011, 02:35 AM   #11
AMMOCAN
SLIME-R

Quote:
Originally Posted by kkim View Post
yes, rear first to stabilize the bike and hold it vertical, then lift the front.

I searched ebay when I needed some and went with what I thought would work. Think they were about $25.

Just be aware that the portion of the spool next to the swingarm needs to be about as slim as the mounting boss that is welded on the swingarm to avoid interference of the spool to the swingarm mounting area. Take a good look at your swingarm to get a better understanding of what I'm talking about. Base your decision on which spools to purchase on that.
Thank you so very much KKim! I will definitely look at SLIME-R's swingarm and keep what you advised in mind when purchasing a set.

Old March 28th, 2011, 04:24 AM   #12
oroboros
GDTRFB

Name: Drew

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Ninja 250 - sold 2005 EX500R project

Looks good. Does this type of front stand allow you to remove the wheel?

I went with the rear stand from Harbor Freight. It was $50.00 and they had the spools for pretty cheap too. It has worked perfectly. There are some reviews/complaints that the welds are off and that the stand is crooked or not stable.

They shows the spools on sale at the moment for $2.97
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image_4282.jpg (14.5 KB, 4 views)
File Type: jpg image_1968.jpg (13.4 KB, 2 views)
oroboros is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 28th, 2011, 06:18 AM   #13
stealth250
Gearhead

Name: Mike

Motorcycle(s): 2008 Kawasaki Ninja 250R

I bought Vortex spools and they fit great. They have a shoulder on them like Kelly is talking about.
media.jpg

Last futzed with by stealth250; March 29th, 2011 at 08:23 AM.
stealth250 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 28th, 2011, 06:55 PM   #14
AMMOCAN
SLIME-R

Quote:
Originally Posted by oroboros View Post
Looks good. Does this type of front stand allow you to remove the wheel?

I went with the rear stand from Harbor Freight. It was $50.00 and they had the spools for pretty cheap too. It has worked perfectly. There are some reviews/complaints that the welds are off and that the stand is crooked or not stable.

They shows the spools on sale at the moment for $2.97
Yes, they allow you to take off the front wheel, but they don't allow you to properly work on/adjust the forks, as you either need to pay for the attachment to do so, or buy the front lift/stand that they make specifically for that.

Yes, I have looked at and read up on the Harbor Freight stands/lifts and just didn't have a warm and fuzzy about them, especially since I wanted something that was proven and guaranteed to store SLIME-R up off the ground during a long period of time of not riding her (i.e. during the winter). I spoke personally with the owner of GPI Industries Mr. Myron, who assured me that I will have no issues with storing SLIME-R on his stands for a long period of time, as he guarantees them to hold up to 1K lbs. He also guaranteed me that if there was anything to happen (i.e. bike drop) due to the stand/lift being defective then he would take care of the damages. How's that for a guarantee?! That is what I call confidence and great customer service. Not to mention they are made in the U.S.A.! After reading what he had to say plus reading what others, who had purchased them, had to say I was sold.

It took me over a week or so, but finally was able to win an auction for them off ebay at $78 then $30 for shipping, which is for FedEx delivery of a 30 lb. package all the way across the other side of the U.S. So, for me paying for a lifetime guaranteed product at $54 each was a great value and easy buy!

I have taken KKim's advice along with what others have mentioned on a thread discussing spools and I am currently looking into purchasing the PitBull or T-Rex 10mm deslin spools.

Old April 6th, 2011, 11:48 PM   #15
AMMOCAN
SLIME-R

Ok, so I decided to go with the PitBull 10mm deslin spools and received them and installed them the other day (pic is below).

I also received my GPI lifts/stands today. I would have received them yesterday, but the lazy FedEx guy decided to not deliver them to me because I am assuming he didn't want to walk the 30 lb. box up the stairs.

So, after unwrapping them and putting them together I am quite impressed! The only blemishes I could see were that the GPI stickers were dirty and not sticking too well. Other than that everything else looks really good to me. They are one solid tube, but where the wheels and lifting attachments go there are welds attaching those connections to the solid tube. I have included pics of some of the welds for those of you interested to check out.

SPOOLS

GPI STANDS/LIFTS WRAPPED

GPI WELDS

GPI STANDS/LIFTS PUT TOGETHER