ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > General > Motorcycle Gear

Old March 20th, 2011, 10:41 PM   #1
caps
Sexy Beast

Name: Mat

Motorcycle(s): 2010 Ninja 250R, 2006 ZX-14, 2012 Ducati Monster

Post *Long Read* Including Boot Selection

Well, I had a bit of a scare the other day coming home from work. I work nights about 16 miles from my house, and when I finish what is required I'm normally allowed to go home (since I work 72 hour weeks right now). So the other night that is exactly what happens, and at just shy of midnight I have a bit of a run in with something.

I was on the last road before my street, about 2 blocks away from my house when some random silver animal appears about 5 feet in front of me right at the edge of my headlight beam. It seems to be running the same way as I am (
or my mind slowed down to interpret what was going on), but the next thing I know this (approximately) 15 pound animal is running out in front of me! I snatch the clutch as fast as I can and jump on the brakes till I feel the bike get a little squirmy on the back end. I keep the bike straight and JUST barely miss whatever the animal was with my front wheel.

Now I don't know about you guys but I have always been taught to downshift during an emergency stop, so while all this is going on I move my foot to downshift and the animal catches my foot! The force of basically kicking the animal in the ribs at about 35mph almost rips me off my bike, but I let off the brakes since it locked up my rear tire and my entire body weight had been shifted in the same direction that the rear end was already going. I get my weight back under control and my body position back where it should be and look in my left mirror to see the animal rolling over several times across both lanes, THEN GET BACK UP AND RUN! I kept going because I decided whatever could take a hit like that and keep moving was more feisty then I cared to find out.

But the most important thing about this is that I was coming home from work, so I had my steel toe boots on. Now if I would have just had my regular riding shoes on (ankle high pumas) I know I would have at least broken several toes. So now I'm in the market for some riding boots.

I commute regularly so if they are comfortable, somewhat breathable, and they need to be strong. Also waterproof wouldn't hurt since I live in Florida, but that isn't a deal breaker.

I originally was set on the
AXO Primato II's

http://www.motorcycle-superstore.com...-II-Boots.aspx

Then found the
Sidi Fusions

http://www.motorcycle-superstore.com...ion-Boots.aspx

But now I have been looking around and have confused myself since their are so many options for boots under $200 and even some of them meet my requirements for less then that such as the
Joe Rocket Sonic Boot

http://www.motorcycle-superstore.com...nic-Boots.aspx

However I think I have decided that I want one of the new Cortech Latigo Boots. I have a bit of a soft spot for Cortech because my jacket and gloves are Cortech and I LOVE them. They have the; Cortech Latigo Air Road Race Boots

http://www.motorcycle-superstore.com...ace-Boots.aspx

and the Cortech Latigo WP Road Race Boots

http://www.motorcycle-superstore.com...ace-Boots.aspx

Which seem to essentially be the same boot, however one is waterproof and the other one is over 50% perforated to stay cooler.

I know the Cortech's were JUST released, but does anyone have a pair? Or know anything about them?
Also, if their is something I am overlooking please feel free to chime in
caps is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 20th, 2011, 10:53 PM   #2
00NissanNinja
I hate driving...

Name: S

Motorcycle(s): 13 Triumph Street Triple R, 09 Ninja 250r (Sold 4/20/12)

Those Cortechs are pretty sweet looking. I have the Sidi fusions (they have a waterproof and air version I have the regular ones). To me they are pretty comfortable and seem to offer a good amount of protection. I've walked all day with them and they aren't too bad. Ventilation is fine but I've only ridden so far up to 70 degrees in them since they are fairly new.
I also had the short version of the joe rocket sonic boots (the superstreet boots). Those were pretty good as well though the way the made the sole made it a bit harder to walk around in. However for short cut boots they seemed like they offered the best protection out of any short boot I wore.

09 ninja 2fiddy SE Driving slow things fast
00NissanNinja is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 20th, 2011, 11:03 PM   #3
caps
Sexy Beast

Yea im pretty sure im gonna order them this coming weekend. I need to make it to the dealer first since they run some VERY competetive prices.

Old March 21st, 2011, 01:47 PM   #4
lonewolf05
ninjette.org guru

Name: Darrell

Motorcycle(s): 09 Ninja 250R

I like the Cortech Air boots... if your choosing between that group!

Old March 21st, 2011, 01:52 PM   #5
lonewolf05
ninjette.org guru

Name: Darrell

Motorcycle(s): 09 Ninja 250R

i found these too alpinestars ridge waterproof... they just aren't as tall

Old March 21st, 2011, 02:16 PM   #6
shiroganeshinobi
ninjette.org guru

Name: Mike

Motorcycle(s): 2010 250R SE

Good to hear you made it through that in one piece.

I like Sidi a lot but that Cortech looks like it has a lot of good protection all around especially the lateral ankle section? Those fusions dont have that and would bend quite easily.
shiroganeshinobi is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 21st, 2011, 02:39 PM   #7
CC Cowboy
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Whodat

Motorcycle(s): I pass the wind!

MOTM - Mar '13, Jun '14
The Sidi looks sidi.

Old March 21st, 2011, 02:48 PM   #8
caps
Sexy Beast

Darrell, I like them aswell but you know how the rain is here

Old March 21st, 2011, 02:55 PM   #9
Daeldren
two wheel addict

Name: Kenneth

Motorcycle(s): 94 xlh 883, 1984 kawi gpz money pit

When I originally looked at the cortech I noticed it looked eerily similar to the new 2011 teknik's (especially the "ankle" protection). Don't know if those companies are outsourcing to another company. I will say that the ankle support built in is a tad better than what most street boots come with, however Cortech calling them race boots is a bit dubious.

Old March 21st, 2011, 03:39 PM   #10
JeffM
Mr. 988

Name: Jeff

Motorcycle(s): One

Absolutely the same boot.

Here is a Review of the Teknic boot.

Link to original page on YouTube.

Old March 22nd, 2011, 09:57 PM   #11
Reddoak
ninjette.org guru

Name: Bill

Motorcycle(s): 2008 Ninja 250r - Traded for 2009 ER-6N

Next time hit it with the front wheel.

Anyways... If you buy a boot that's not ventilated, you'll look at it mid July and go," Well... it's kind of too hot out, so... maybe this once..." By the perforated one. Gear that you won't wear won't help.

Worried about rain? Get a set of overboots for rainy days. I keep them with my rain gear. Slip them over the boots, so problem.
Reddoak is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 23rd, 2011, 01:24 AM   #12
caps
Sexy Beast

Well after watching that video I realized this is the PERFECT boot for what I want, except for the 15* pre formed curve

I can't see that working to well

Old March 23rd, 2011, 01:25 AM   #13
caps
Sexy Beast

Any ideas for something similar without the curve? Im not wanting to spend more than $200 because after that price point I think I would just buy the sidi's

Old March 23rd, 2011, 01:39 AM   #14
n_aditya
ninjette.org member

Name: Aditya

Motorcycle(s): 2010 Ninja 250R (for the weekend's) and the Suzuki Fiero for office commute.

I ordered the Sidi Vertigo boots via Motorcycle Superstore. Cost me US $ 300. Fits well and has a calf adjuster in addition to an air vent that can be opened or closed depending on the weather.

Try Gaerne boots. They are equally good too.

My suggestion is to avoid the Joe Rockets. One of the guys in my riding group bought a pair and it gave way in a few months of riding (less than 2000 kms of riding). He had to get a new pair.
n_aditya is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 23rd, 2011, 04:27 AM   #15
gfloyd2002
User Title Free Since '12

Name: Floyd

Motorcycle(s): '10 Ninja 250R Special Edition Green

MOTM - Feb '12
Quote:
Originally Posted by caps View Post
Well after watching that video I realized this is the PERFECT boot for what I want, except for the 15* pre formed curve

I can't see that working to well
on the 15 degree preformed curve. Great on the bike, not so much off it.

"Improvement makes straight roads, but the crooked roads without improvement, are roads of genius." — William Blake
gfloyd2002 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 23rd, 2011, 08:12 AM   #16
coondog
ninjette.org sage

Name: john

Motorcycle(s): 2005 ninja 250 street fighter, 2008 street fighter ninja 500, 2001 nsr 125

for once you must be glad you work all those hours. be patient, check around, google, webbike, whatever and get whatever you want as a well deserved gift to self. it's not like a luxury you need boots. Glad you kept it up and made ot home.
coondog is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 23rd, 2011, 01:23 PM   #17
Sailariel

Name: Alex

Motorcycle(s): 2010 Honda NT-700-V, formerly, Green 2008 Ninja 250R

I just bought a pair of Joe Rocket touring boots at Dennis Kirk for $116-free shipping. Will let you know how they are when I get a chance to ride. The roads up here are wicked unsafe.

Old March 23rd, 2011, 01:27 PM   #18
jstrain
ninjette.org guru

Name: Jeremy

Motorcycle(s): '04 Aprilia RSV, '10 Bonneville, '10 Ninjette

I have the Sidi B2 boots...

http://www.motorcycle-superstore.com...B-2-Boots.aspx

Been happy with them. Done a few track days with them, and they're pretty comfortable to wear around all day. Definitely feel more comfortable riding with these on vs sneakers or something. Not waterproof though.

Old March 24th, 2011, 06:04 AM   #19
HKr1
IC2(SW)

Name: Kerry

Motorcycle(s): .

I just got a killer deal on some alpinestars smx plus boots. Theres a new sponser on some of the vertiscope forums, Riders Discount. Pm them, or ask on a thread. They pm back with some nice forum discount prices.... Hell, I even wound up buying a jacket. I couldnt pass up the prices.
Anyway, worth a shot if your thinking about buying. I know Iam checking with them before I buy anything else
HKr1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 24th, 2011, 06:43 AM   #20
DEXSPEED
2012 is here,let's ride!!

Name: dex

Motorcycle(s): 2009R,'12 suzuki +500

check out cycle gear they have the SEDICI and BILT brand gear including riding boots.

Old March 24th, 2011, 08:48 AM   #21
CThunder-blue
ModMy250.com

Name: Tri

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Ninja 250R, 2005 R6

Find a cycle shop and try on the boots before you order them. The boots you may like may not fit well. The only riding shoes and boots that fit me and are comfortable to me are Dainese. My feet have expensive taste

Old March 24th, 2011, 06:11 PM   #22
Daeldren
two wheel addict

There you go, cycle gear is carrying a new brand called Sedici that has an exact identicle boot to the Cortech and Teknic.

Geez this boot is making the rounds through all the companies, not saying its a bad boot. Teknic and Joe Rocket at one time had boots that were copies of the Frey Daytona's (high dollar race boots) that looked to be very well made.

Old March 24th, 2011, 06:17 PM   #23
Daeldren
two wheel addict

Link to original page on YouTube.

another video review of the cortech/teknic/sedici boot from Brian Van

Old March 24th, 2011, 06:54 PM   #24
caps
Sexy Beast

I wish brian would have addressed the 15* pre-bent angle I am going to go try some on this weekend

Old March 24th, 2011, 09:22 PM   #25
00NissanNinja
I hate driving...

Name: S

Motorcycle(s): 13 Triumph Street Triple R, 09 Ninja 250r (Sold 4/20/12)

Have you also checked out the alpinestars ST boot? They are like a slightly stripped down version of the smx-5 boots (which are like 215 so a little over budget).

09 ninja 2fiddy SE Driving slow things fast
00NissanNinja is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 25th, 2011, 10:53 AM   #26
setasai

Name: Brian

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Ninja 250R Green

All those boots look sweet especially the cortech and the sidi. One thing to keep in mind though is how wide is your feet? I hear that Sidi boots tend to run narrow. Not sure about the cortech.

I've had the A* SMX-1 riding shoes and the TCX Synergy riding boots both in the same size and the fit was very different. A* pinched my toes while the TCX was almost too much room. The size was perfect because there wasnt too much space between the tip and my toes but the width is what was drastically different.

Just a word of caution if you have wider than normal feet. Otherwise, get whichever fits your budget, they all look protective and will definitely increase your stability on the bike. You might also consider what kind of walking you'll be doing in them or whether or not you plan on having a spare pair of work shoes to change into.
setasai is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 26th, 2011, 09:39 PM   #27
AncientTV
ninjette.org member

Name: nah

Motorcycle(s): 2007 Ninja 250r

Quote:
Originally Posted by caps View Post
Now I don't know about you guys but I have always been taught to downshift during an emergency stop
As a little aside, read page nine as to why you should clutch in, not downshift, during emergency braking.
AncientTV is offline   Reply With Quote