ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > 2008 - 2012 Ninja 250R > 2008 - 2012 Ninja 250R Tech Talk

Old February 20th, 2009, 12:16 PM   #1
Gregular
Not on the rug... man

Name: Greg

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Diablo Black Ninja 250r, 2009 Triumph Daytona 675 Special Edition

DIY - R&G Racing Crash Protectors

Ok, 2nd DIY is under way.
The 2nd post is reserved for the final part which I can't do until I get the fairings back on which will probably be a week or so as all mods are on hold until my replacement tail tidy arrives.

Hopefully the photo's are a better quality and it may seem like I'm going overkill on the photos but I'm trying to provide enough shots/angles of the install as there is some uncertainty if this will fit on non FI 250r's

As in my last DIY, my start point is with all fairings off and the bike on the rear stand so I won't be covering that, but kkim has that already covered

Just to say in bold.....

YOU WANT THE BIKE ON A REAR STAND WHEN DOING THIS - THE KICKSTAND IS NOT ENOUGH

Tools you'll need;
set of metric allen keys
socket set to include 17mm, 14mm and 15mm A/F socket and wrench
14mm and 17mm spanner
torque wrench to be used at 40NM
soft headed hammer

So what comes in the box - it's all well packaged and the parts are made to a very high quality finish. They are very solid and sturdy too. Very Impressive. You can believe the hype "the only insurance approved crash protectors on the market" after seeing these up close.

and the instructions

Now the instructions don't mention this step but I would recommend that you prepare a jack to apply light pressure from below. This will help to support the bike and stop it dropping when your knocking out the engine mount bolt. I didn't do this at first and even though I was really careful, when the original engine mount bolt was almost all the way through, the bike twisted and dropped and I wasn't able to knock the replacement bar through anymore as the holes no longer lined up.
If you dont have a jack you'll at least want to make sure that the bike is on level ground. Mine was not and I attribute the little mishap to this. But even so, if I was to do it again, I would use a jack for support.
You'll want something softer in between the jack and bike - I used an old bit of mdf that I had floating around

Let's have a look where on the bike they will be mounting... as we'll need to make space for the bracket.
need to work on the left side first so lets have a look

You should be able see a familiar shape, this is where the large flat bracket will be mounted and we will need to remove 3 bolts to provide mount points for the R&G bracket
Note that the top 2 are obscured by the rectifier

the bottom of the 3 is the engine mount bolt, this goes all the way through to the other side.

The right side contains the nut for this bolt. It's on fairly tight but it's easy enough to remove with a normal socket wrench

and it will look like this

Now were ready to gently knock though the original engine mount bolt with the replacement, using a soft headed mallet of some kind,
YOU HAVE TO PREPARE/MOVE THE HOSE SO THAT IT'S NOT IN THE WAY OF THE BOLT COMING OUT

SEE HOW CLOSE THE HOSE IS, IT WILL STOP THE BOLT COMING OUT IF YOU DO NOT MOVE IT OUT THE WAY

It should look like this when the original engine mount bolt is out and the R&G Racing bar has replaced it

Need to move that rectifier now, but we only need to undo the 2 bolts securing it and then dangle it somewhere outta the way. Should look like this.

At last! We have access to the other bolts so we can mount the bracket. So let's remove them, They're on fairly tight but nothing to worry about.
They also have nuts on the other side, you can reach round like I did in the photos below and remove them. I didn't have to (maybe I got lucky), but I did not need to hold these nuts with a spanner to undo the bolts. You'll want to keep the nuts for use later on.

With the bolts removed we can finally mount the bracket so let's assemble it.
For the left side you want the SHORTER cylinder and flat bracket WITHOUT the cut in the back and 3 of the M10x30mm long cap head bolts

It will only fit one way, and the fit is superb, as good a quality as the woodcraft clipons. Use loctite on the 3 bolts and secure. I did these up as tight as was physically possible with the allen key

notice the angled ending, this is what will poke through the fairing in a very well engineered fit

this is where it will be going on the bike

So let's prepare the bolts and the left assembly, you'll need 2 of the M10x60mm long cap head bolts to go into the top 2 holes (the bottom hole is for the engine mount bar)

Need to put the THINNER spacers on these bolts next

The unit can now be slot into place like so, lining up the 2 bolts with the freed up mount points and the single hole with the engine bar

and we'll need the 2 nuts saved from earlier plus some loctite to secure the top 2 bolts. Again, I just did them up as tight as I possibly could with the allen key.

Now we've finished with those 2 bolts we can re-install the rectifier, but you'll find that the original bolts are not long enough and the rectifier does not sit flush with it's mounting plate any more.
So we need to use the other 2 fatter spacers and the 2 M6x40mm long button head bolts. (Note the original bolts at the top of the pic)

Should look like this

For now we're done on the left, Lets get started on the right side. Removing the top 2 bolts is the same as the left side so no need to cover that again, just keep the nuts

and we have the longer cylinder + flat bracket with the cut-out in it to work with which is assembled in the same way too - just without the spacers

and the mounting of this completed assembly is the same as the left too, woohoo! this DIY is getting a bit easier

Next we use the 2 self locking nuts provided and fasten them to the engine mount bar (the long bar going through the hole at the bottom) and do these up loosely for now with the thread sticking out the same amount on both sides.

And I've just loosely put the aero shaped sliders on the end for now so I don't loose any parts.
There are some nice slick end covers for the aero sliders so they won't show the hollow or nuts, I just left them till I'm finished.
Torquing and finishing the DIY to follow next week

Attached Files
File Type: pdf DIY - R&G Racing Crash Protectors - ninjette.org.pdf (8.44 MB, 12 views)

Last futzed with by Gregular; February 20th, 2009 at 02:35 PM.
Gregular is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 20th, 2009, 12:18 PM   #2
Gregular
Not on the rug... man

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Diablo Black Ninja 250r, 2009 Triumph Daytona 675 Special Edition

Time to get this finished!

so with the left and right side mounted (without the sliders attached to the end)
tighten up the last of the 3 (the bottom one) mount point to 40 NM with a torque wrench

With that done, we gotta mount the fairings. Just reverse the order in which you took them off. The nice thing to note is that even though its a precise fit, these crash protectors do not interfere with the install/removal of the fairings. Should look like this

Now it's time to mount the sliders using the last bolt and washer supplied. Use the torque wrench and no more than 40NM (orientate the slider so that the fatter end is toward the front of the bike)

Pop in the cover

and that's it

rear view

front view

Last futzed with by Gregular; March 8th, 2009 at 09:41 AM.

Old February 20th, 2009, 12:38 PM   #3
kkim

Greg... excellent, excellent DIY, so far.

Looks like I've got some competition to "kick it up a notch". Hmmm... wonder if I should include DIYs girls when I do mine from now on.

I'm sure people will love that you are taking the time to do these. (I know how much of a PITA it is to snap pics along the way) Good job on giving back to your fellow forum members.
kkim is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 20th, 2009, 12:47 PM   #4
OldGuy
Live Life

Name: Don

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Green SE Ninja 250

Nice work Greg - it is great to have DIY's like this for future projects.

Old February 20th, 2009, 01:54 PM   #5
darkknight49
ninjette.org member

Name: Faiyaz

Motorcycle(s): Black 08 Ninja 250

I love these DIYs. i'm new to biking and these help so much in learning about the 250r. Keep up the good work!

Old February 20th, 2009, 02:45 PM   #6
Gregular
Not on the rug... man

Quote:
Originally Posted by kkim View Post
Greg... excellent, excellent DIY, so far.

Looks like I've got some competition to "kick it up a notch". Hmmm... wonder if I should include DIYs girls when I do mine from now on.

I'm sure people will love that you are taking the time to do these. (I know how much of a PITA it is to snap pics along the way) Good job on giving back to your fellow forum members.
No no no No competition, I'm just following the excellent templates set out by your goodself

Just trying to put a little bit back on some products that the majority may be unfamiliar with

Don't hold back on the DIY girls though

and yeah PITA is the phrase for it. Just uploading the pics and writing the DIY has taken twice as long as the job itself lol.
Feels good to do it though. Pay it forward my man!

Old February 20th, 2009, 03:02 PM   #7
kkim

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gregular View Post
Pay it forward my man!
The quality of your DIYs are only eclipsed by your understanding of what truly makes the world go round.

Thanks for contributing.
kkim is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 20th, 2009, 03:09 PM   #8
islanderman7
The Sexy Filipino

Name: Jordan

Motorcycle(s): Ninja 250R 2008 (da black one)

Thanks for the great writeup.
islanderman7 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 23rd, 2009, 10:32 PM   #9
watcanido
ninjette.org member

Name: Jhaqui

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Kawasaki Ninja 250R

aww.. *group hug* lol

Greg are you doing a DIY on the mirrors? and are those the ebay universal ones and did you modify the stalk any or did you just mount them as is? looks great man! good job
watcanido is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 24th, 2009, 06:53 AM   #10
randomwalk101
self wrencher

Name: john

Motorcycle(s): 08 250r and 07 600r

Very nice DIY. Thanks for posting.

But that R&G kit is like 300 bones!!! Very nice kit though.
randomwalk101 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 24th, 2009, 01:05 PM   #11
Gregular
Not on the rug... man

Quote:
Originally Posted by watcanido View Post
aww.. *group hug* lol

Greg are you doing a DIY on the mirrors? and are those the ebay universal ones and did you modify the stalk any or did you just mount them as is? looks great man! good job
Lol, I'm feeling the love
I saw the ebay ones and they look a hell of alot like mine, I guess they're the same, but I bought mine from here

www.mandp.co.uk

For a DIY on these - there's a new thread that I'll complete asap.

Last futzed with by Gregular; February 24th, 2009 at 05:04 PM.

Old February 24th, 2009, 08:39 PM   #12
aloh
lolwut

Name: Alex

Motorcycle(s): 2008 Kawasaki Ninja 250R

Nice! Those sliders seem to have a better design than the other ones out here. It seems less likely to snap or bend.

Old February 26th, 2009, 03:20 PM   #13
Buffalony
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Joe

Motorcycle(s): 08 Ninja 250 "Wasabi", 82 Yamaha xj650j

Thanks. I've never seen rg parts untill this thread. Their site says the kit is UK bike only...anyone know why? I like their exhaust hanger
Buffalony is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 26th, 2009, 04:22 PM   #14
HKr1
IC2(SW)

Name: Kerry

Motorcycle(s): .

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buffalony View Post
Thanks. I've never seen rg parts untill this thread. Their site says the kit is UK bike only...anyone know why? I like their exhaust hanger
The carb models have there ignition coil on both sides, right were that plate is. Also the Cali model has its emisions stuff there too.

Looks like a real nice kit! Might be worth it to have, even if you gotta modify something for it to fit(carb versions).
HKr1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 8th, 2009, 09:44 AM   #15
Gregular
Not on the rug... man

Completed the DIY. Updated parts are in post 2

Old March 8th, 2009, 08:36 PM   #16
noche_caliente

Name: Kim

Motorcycle(s): '08 250

very nice! the rear view shot might turn out a little bit better if you cover the plate so you don't have the flash reflecting off of it and washing everything out...

so what's the verdict 250 gurus... will it work on the carb'd version?
noche_caliente is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 8th, 2009, 10:37 PM   #17
Gregular
Not on the rug... man

Quote:
Originally Posted by noche_caliente View Post
very nice! the rear view shot might turn out a little bit better if you cover the plate so you don't have the flash reflecting off of it and washing everything out...
Thanks for the tip. The fairings are off again at the moment. I'm having to apply a lacquer to the lightning. It's just all edge and points, a snagging nightmare lol. Will update with a better rear picture when the fairings are back on

Old March 23rd, 2009, 11:35 AM   #18
NinjetteMan
ninjette.org member

Motorcycle(s): 09 Kawi 250R

I'm really wondering now if these will work on the carb models. Especially after seeing and hearing about how the intuitive and shogun sliders are holding up to crashes...
NinjetteMan is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 24th, 2009, 12:40 AM   #19
crystalh
is awesome

Name: Crystal

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Ninja 250r SE

Quote:
Originally Posted by NinjetteMan View Post
I'm really wondering now if these will work on the carb models. Especially after seeing and hearing about how the intuitive and shogun sliders are holding up to crashes...
Where did you hear about these things?
I've been looking for information because I would really like to prevent as much damage as possible to my bike and would really like to invest in some sliders/crash protectors!
crystalh is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 24th, 2009, 12:58 AM   #20
NinjetteMan
ninjette.org member

Shogun: Check out post #18

http://www.ninjette.org/forums/showthread.php?t=11224

Intuitive Sliders:

http://www.kawiforums.com/showthread...=119815&page=9

Old March 24th, 2009, 01:19 AM   #21
crystalh
is awesome

Thank ya kindly!
I'm still leaning towards putting them on though... I'm thinking I'm more likely to drop it when I'm stopped or going slow. I don't plan on going fast until I get good at going slow!

Old March 24th, 2009, 05:18 AM   #22
Buffalony

Quote:
Originally Posted by NinjetteMan View Post
I think broom f-ed his shoguns up pretty bad. Don't know how fast he was goin but if I had his jacket I'd be goin pretty fast.

Old March 24th, 2009, 03:09 PM   #23
NinjetteMan
ninjette.org member

Just took a look at my bike this morning. There looks to be all kinds of smog and ignition crap, brackets, etc in the way. So I think these RG racing sliders are a no go for our carbied ninjettes. Im going with the shoguns since they seem to be best out of whats available to us and Richard of racebikerentals.com just so happens to offer them at the lowest price I could find online...

Old March 24th, 2009, 05:24 PM   #24
Buffalony

+1 forum member.

I need to by sliders too. I can't afford another down without them. I'll probably buy from rich aswell. Maybe he can get us a group buy.

Old March 26th, 2009, 12:59 AM   #25
crystalh
is awesome

A group buy would be wonderful. I would definitely be down for that!

Old March 26th, 2009, 05:18 AM   #26
Buffalony

theres two

Old March 26th, 2009, 07:07 PM   #27
blubyu
ninjette.org member

Name: Todd

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Ninja 250R / 2009 CBR600RR

ihatethisforumihatethisforumihatethisforum

count me in

Old March 27th, 2009, 03:31 AM   #28
snoopy07
ninjette.org member

Name: Emmanuelle

Motorcycle(s): Ninja 250

Good job!

Just a question: where do you buy this crash protectors? And what is the price please?
Because I would like to buy crash protectors for my ninja and I hesitate between R&G and shogun, but I don't found none of them in EU...
snoopy07 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 27th, 2009, 04:48 AM   #29
Buffalony

thats a possible four. I'm PMing richard to see what he says. I'll post back ASAP.

Old March 27th, 2009, 08:11 AM   #30
py2e
ninjette.org member

Name: Pete

Motorcycle(s): 2009 BLACK Kawasaki Ninja 250R

Quote:
thats a possible four. I'm PMing richard to see what he says. I'll post back ASAP.
Wait, I thought this doesn't work on the US bikes.

Old March 27th, 2009, 12:32 PM   #31
noche_caliente

Name: Kim

Motorcycle(s): '08 250

Quote:
Originally Posted by snoopy07 View Post
Good job!

Just a question: where do you buy this crash protectors? And what is the price please?
Because I would like to buy crash protectors for my ninja and I hesitate between R&G and shogun, but I don't found none of them in EU...
Emanuelle,
R&G is a UK company
http://www.rg-racing.com/browseBike/...50R)/2008.aspx
noche_caliente is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 27th, 2009, 04:11 PM   #32
Buffalony

Quote:
Originally Posted by py2e View Post
Wait, I thought this doesn't work on the US bikes.
We are talkin about the shoguns. racebikerentals doesnt have R&G

Old March 27th, 2009, 04:36 PM   #33
py2e
ninjette.org member

Name: Pete

Motorcycle(s): 2009 BLACK Kawasaki Ninja 250R

Quote:
We are talkin about the shoguns. racebikerentals doesnt have R&G
Got my hopes up... because the R&G looks really nice.

Old March 27th, 2009, 04:50 PM   #34
HKr1
IC2(SW)

Name: Kerry

Motorcycle(s): .

Wonder what the resistance is on those overseas ignition coils, maybe somebody with a fi manual look that up? Would be pretty slick to change over to those, instead of relocating ours. Would be allot cleaner & and no spark plug wires

Guess coming up with a set of those would be just as easy as them 250r rear stickers, tried every country and nobody would ship.
HKr1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 27th, 2009, 05:11 PM   #35
Buffalony

Nobody would ship you stickers? Im sure you can have them made.

check this thread:

http://www.ninjette.org/forums/showt...highlight=logo

Old March 27th, 2009, 06:47 PM   #36
NinjetteMan
ninjette.org member

I got impatient and ordered a set of Shoguns from Rich, but a group buy would be a great idea for those who can wait..

I recently emailed R&G to ask for specifics on why their sliders wouldn't work on US models and this was the reply I received:

"I believe the ignition coils on overseas models are mounted precisely where our crash protectors are located. Apologies for the inconvenience :-)"

I was thinking the same thing about switching to the FI coil, but there seems to be another problem. The coils on our US models mount to brackets that look to be welded on and might get in the way of the R&G mounting plate. It looks like their plate has to mount flat to the existing plate on our bikes. Now assuming the coils are the only thing you have to move out of the way, you could prob just cut the brackets off for a flat mounting surface, then in that case it could work.
I didn't get a comprehensive look at the mounting area since I was just looking through the hole in the fairings and comparing it to the pics in this DIY...
Really a shame too, since these sliders look really nice and well constructed

Old March 30th, 2009, 10:42 AM   #37
snoopy07
ninjette.org member

Name: Emmanuelle

Motorcycle(s): Ninja 250

Quote:
Originally Posted by noche_caliente View Post
Thanks for the link!

The exhaust protector is also great: http://www.rg-racing.com/browseBike/.../EP0005BK.aspx

Gregular, do you think R&G crash protectors are as protective than shoguns?
snoopy07 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 30th, 2009, 10:55 AM   #38
M-Oorb
ninjette.org sage

Name: Matt

Motorcycle(s): 2008 250r (Fastest Color)

I'm down for the group buy
Posted via Mobile Device
M-Oorb is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 30th, 2009, 05:01 PM   #39
Buffalony

Shogun Group buy thread:

http://www.ninjette.org/forums/showt...8530#post38530

Old June 28th, 2009, 10:07 AM   #40
Gregular
Not on the rug... man

Just an update with some pics of some field tests that weren't intended but ended up ok

Left side - pretty much a stationary drop, I'd just pulled into the driveway and as I was stopping the garage door opened up and I was then caught in two minds as to where to get off and next thing I knew, bike was on the floor

Right side - happened when I got over confident and thought I could do a u-turn and use an iphone as a sat nav at the same time

Good news is the protectors did their job with only slight scuffs/dinks to the footpegs and nothing else was damaged

Quote:
Originally Posted by snoopy07 View Post
Thanks for the link!

The exhaust protector is also great: http://www.rg-racing.com/browseBike/.../EP0005BK.aspx

Gregular, do you think R&G crash protectors are as protective than shoguns?
Couldn't say, I have no experience of Shogun parts. Hopefully the pics above might help