ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > General > Off-Topic

Old August 8th, 2009, 02:39 PM   #1
istreefitty
sir posts a lot

Name: michael

Motorcycle(s): '09 Black 250R

Does any one watch Whale Wars??

So on occasion I have been know to have a hippie moment or 2....but I LOVE this show. The editing does a great job with the clif hangers, but other than that I really like what the sea shepard stands for. With that said the show is kind of lack luster in every episode nothing happens BUT they trail off wit hteh possibility that something will happen next Fri. I will say that it was nice to finally see their "propp foul" tactic work. Does any one else share my enjoyment for this show??
istreefitty is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 9th, 2009, 11:39 AM   #2
CC Cowboy
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Whodat

Motorcycle(s): I pass the wind!

MOTM - Mar '13, Jun '14
I've seen it. I never saw a whale, dead or alive on it. I want my money back!

Old August 9th, 2009, 06:33 PM   #3
M-Oorb
ninjette.org sage

Name: Matt

Motorcycle(s): 2008 250r (Fastest Color)

I get what they are trying to do but I think its kinda stupid. I saw the episode where they boarded the whale boat and then started bitching when they tied them up and said they were bringing them back to japan.

They boarded without permission and are known to throw things on to the Japanese boat...the Japanese dont know what it is! Yea the Whale Wars people know its overall safe but the Japanese dont. I think they act aggressively and think that the Japanese either cant or dont have the right to.

I do love whales though and wish they weren't killed for food...

Old August 10th, 2009, 09:22 AM   #4
BlueTyke
So slow I'm first!

Name: Sunny

Motorcycle(s): 06 Kawasaki Ninja EX250

Quote:
Originally Posted by CC Cowboy View Post
I've seen it. I never saw a whale, dead or alive on it. I want my money back!
You obviously missed the one from friday

Harpooned a whale right in front of the Sheppard. (I don't watch it but the BF does and he told me)

Old August 10th, 2009, 10:05 AM   #5
HKr1
IC2(SW)

Name: Kerry

Motorcycle(s): .

Seen an episode the other day. They had a big meeting, on Tora Tora Tora the little rib boat was going to put out that prop net. Well they gave the command, but the little boat starting throwing stink bombs??? So then they starting yelling at each other, do what your there for. In the end the big ship stopped and grabbed there net with a hook....
HKr1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 10th, 2009, 10:11 AM   #6
bob706

Name: Sean

Motorcycle(s): 2008 Ninja 250 1998 HD Road King

mmmmmmmm....whale meat, tastes like dolphin. jk. I can only watch five minutes of that show before changing the station. Now if the Sea Sheppard mounted a couple of mk48 torpedo tubes on the deck, they would have my undivided attention.
bob706 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 10th, 2009, 10:13 AM   #7
ninjabrewer
dirty old man

Name: Chris

Motorcycle(s): Blue '08 Ninja 250

Live combat on TV, talk about a ratings push.

nb

Old July 15th, 2011, 03:47 PM   #8
whiteboy
ninjette.org member

Name: justin

Motorcycle(s): 2009 blue ninja 250r

I like the fact that they try to save 1 whale a season... But there is plenty more those people can waste all thy money on and save people. Do we know what research the whalers are doing? For all I know it's to cre cancer and I stand by them and me personally if a dam hippy throws a stink bomb at me il retaiate in defense with something more powerful. I admire the japa ability to stand here and take the abuse from the fat people on a little boats and just do nothing. Just my 1.5 cents

Old July 15th, 2011, 03:50 PM   #9
ducducgooseit

Name: ...

Motorcycle(s): ...

IMO. It's a silly show.
ducducgooseit is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 15th, 2011, 04:06 PM   #10
bdavison
Wartown, USA

Name: Bryan

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Ninja 250R SE, 2007 Ninja 650R, and assorted other bikes

Love the show...im not for either side. For me its just entertainment...like watching boxing. I couldnt care less which buffoons they toss in the ring...i just want to see them go at it.

That gojira (godzilla) boat is awesome.
bdavison is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 15th, 2011, 04:34 PM   #11
Snake

Name: Rick

Motorcycle(s): 05 Blue Ninja 250

MOTY - 2017, MOTM - Jan '19, Oct '16, May '14
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueTyke View Post
You obviously missed the one from friday

Harpooned a whale right in front of the Sheppard. (I don't watch it but the BF does and he told me)
I harpooned a whale once...wait...that's a story for onother thread.
Snake is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 15th, 2011, 04:37 PM   #12
ducducgooseit

It's silly because of this: These shows are filmed significantly in advance of display on the tv. If the whale wonkies actually stopped the whalers from doing anything it would make front page news on every blog on the planet and the show would be waaaaaay out of date.

It's just like the silly paranormal shows. If someone on those shows actually found some proof or evidence you wouldn't be able to turn on anything with electricity without hearing about it. AND the show would be waaaay out of date when it aired.

Meh on all of them. When's "Wheel of Fortune" on?

Old July 15th, 2011, 08:46 PM   #13
bdavison
Wartown, USA

Name: Bryan

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Ninja 250R SE, 2007 Ninja 650R, and assorted other bikes

I think "Whale Wars" and "The Biggest Loser" should swap names...
bdavison is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 15th, 2011, 08:58 PM   #14
gfloyd2002
User Title Free Since '12

Name: Floyd

Motorcycle(s): '10 Ninja 250R Special Edition Green

MOTM - Feb '12
Is it wrong that I root for the Japanese research vessels instead of the jerk who is supposed to be the hero?

"Improvement makes straight roads, but the crooked roads without improvement, are roads of genius." — William Blake
gfloyd2002 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 15th, 2011, 09:30 PM   #15
whiteboy
ninjette.org member

Lol I feel the same way man. By it's all blown up but I watch it sometimes just to see the crazyness some people can be. That and findin Bigfoot lol now those people are realy nuts

Old July 15th, 2011, 10:33 PM   #16
RhinoJC
ninjette.org member

Name: Jeremy

Motorcycle(s): None yet

Countless homeless and starving and people feel the need to spend obscene amounts of money and endanger lives over a whale.

When the whalers start running these idiots over, I'll start watching.
RhinoJC is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 15th, 2011, 10:54 PM   #17
Xoulrath
ninjette.org sage

Name: T

Motorcycle(s): Current: '11 ZX-6R; Previous: '09 Ninjette; '08 ZX-6R (Ex-Wife '09 TU250X)

Quote:
Originally Posted by gfloyd2002 View Post
Is it wrong that I root for the Japanese research vessels instead of the jerk who is supposed to be the hero?
Nope, I do to. My wife and I tried to watch the first season on NetFlix. My wife made me turn it off after ten minutes. It is possible I may have been bitching about the hippies' terrorist tactics.

Old July 16th, 2011, 08:36 AM   #18
austexjg
ninjette.org sage

Name: J.G.

Motorcycle(s): '09 zx6r Green/Black, (ex-)Diablo Black '09 Ninja 250r

Really - saving whales is a bad thing? I can only imagine the feelings towards sharks, which are in danger too.
austexjg is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 16th, 2011, 08:50 AM   #19
Yasko
Texas Newbie

Name: John

Motorcycle(s): 07 Ninja EX250, 07 FZ6

Quote:
Originally Posted by gfloyd2002 View Post
+1

I knew I was not the only one...
Yasko is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 16th, 2011, 10:00 AM   #20
GeneJunkie
ninjette.org sage

Name: Cindy

Motorcycle(s): 2010 Ninja 250R

I love the show and I would love to quit life for 6 months and join the Sea Shepherd's.

The issue I have with the Japanese "research" is this: The research is to find a way for having sustainable whaling, have a look at their site www.icrwhale.org. One of the seasons did show them kill whales right in front of the Sea Shepherd's, and it was kill, pull on board, break down and package. I honestly think it is a way from them to get around the International Whaling Commission's mandate of having a 0 quota on Minke whales. Also last season the Japanese did run over one of their vessels (the boat Earthrace which broke the record for circumnavigating the world in a powerboat, it renamed Ady Gil), almost killed the crew on board and it sank in the Antarctic...

I have been a huge advocate for protecting our oceans and sometimes radical steps need to be taken to get the public to notice. Sea Shepherd's also fight for blue fin tuna, sharks, etc. If our oceans die, we are in big trouble (we all saw Star Trek IV right, lol). Modern fishing practices have destroyed so many ecosystems. Heck it happened out here in RI and it has taken almost 20 years for it to start to recover... What is sickening is that commercial fishermen are already out scraping the bottoms of the ocean floor to pull what they can and its going to destroy the ecosystem here again.

FYI http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2011/0..._n_823884.html
GeneJunkie is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 16th, 2011, 11:04 AM   #21
whiteboy
ninjette.org member

I feel every1 has an opinion. My side is why spend millions being a radical terrorist crew attacking japs when that money can be put to better use in different ways. I'm all for saving whales but joined the military to stop terrorist which is what they are. I say let worry about our starving poor and homeless first then save some fish and wildlife. My 1.5 cents once agin. It's a decent show to just a bit dry

Old July 16th, 2011, 11:56 AM   #22
RhinoJC
ninjette.org member

Yea, the whalers ran over the Ady Gil, the same way a car runs over my foot when I stick my foot under the tire.

Link to original page on YouTube.

See the whitewater behind the Ady Gil, that means they're moving forward. Go to 3:40. You see that the whaling boat manages to just get past the Ady Gil's bow, right before they open it up and push themselves back in front of the whaling vessel.

Here's the Sea Shepherd ramming a whaling vessel.

I'm all for the whales, but putting peoples lives at stake is the wrong way to do it.

Old July 16th, 2011, 12:08 PM   #23
ducducgooseit

Silliness.

Old July 16th, 2011, 12:35 PM   #24
CC Cowboy

Name: Whodat

Motorcycle(s): I pass the wind!

MOTM - Mar '13, Jun '14
I just got back from the beach. Lots of whales were beached but none looked to be at war.

Old July 16th, 2011, 01:24 PM   #25
gfloyd2002
User Title Free Since '12

Name: Floyd

Motorcycle(s): '10 Ninja 250R Special Edition Green

MOTM - Feb '12
Quote:
Originally Posted by RhinoJC View Post
I'm all for the whales, but putting peoples lives at stake is the wrong way to do it.
This. The japanese vessels are taking advantage of a questionable law, and I'm pretty sure I would be in support of making their operations more difficult. But don't break other laws and put humans in danger over an animal. If you think what the Japanese are doing is wrong, work to change the law they are operating under. When you don't like the law, and you use violence and destroy property to try to make your own laws, that makes you an a**hole and a vigilante.

"Improvement makes straight roads, but the crooked roads without improvement, are roads of genius." — William Blake
gfloyd2002 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 16th, 2011, 09:41 PM   #26
CZroe
CPT Falcon

Name: J.Emmett Turner

Motorcycle(s): '08 CP Blue EX250J, '97 unpainted EX250F, 2nd '97 unpainted EX250F (no engine), '07 black EX250F

Umm.. the research exemption is specifically to research responsible hunting of sustainable species. What the Japanese whalers are doing is perfectly "legal." The international agreements can't make it "illegal" anyway without a one-world government, which is Christianity's sign of the end-times spoken of in Revelations, so let's not wish for that, mmkay?
CZroe is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 18th, 2011, 03:46 PM   #27
ducducgooseit

mokay

Old July 19th, 2011, 05:38 AM   #28
dubojr1

Name: Jason

Motorcycle(s): 09 Ninja 250R SE, 07 Honda CRF230F, 06 Honda CRF150F

Quote:
Yea, the whalers ran over the Ady Gil, the same way a car runs over my foot when I stick my foot under the tire.

See the whitewater behind the Ady Gil, that means they're moving forward. Go to 3:40. You see that the whaling boat manages to just get past the Ady Gil's bow, right before they open it up and push themselves back in front of the whaling vessel. This video is misleading. The video recorded from the Bob Barker clearly showed the whalers turning straight into the Ady Gil. The white water trailing just behind the craft does not necessarily indicate they were moving "forward" per say. It looked to me like that was only the exhaust coming from the dual engines idling on-board.

Here's the Sea Shepherd ramming a whaling vessel.

I'm all for the whales, but putting peoples lives at stake is the wrong way to do it. Now this one is true. The SS did in fact ram the whalers. The whalers were in the process of trying to load whales from their ship to the factory ship. The SS's captain was angered and obviously let his better judgment be taken over by emotions.

Here is the other footage that shows the whalers deliberately collided with the Ady Gil...

I don't really pull for either side and generally watch the show for pure entertainment only. I do however feel like these guys are the blind leading the blind especially in this current season. They have made multiple mistakes that have put the ship-mates lives in immediate danger. I don't think I would ever put my life in these guys hands...

Don't forget to add yourself to our Member Map

Last futzed with by dubojr1; July 19th, 2011 at 05:45 AM. Reason: Spelling & add additional info
dubojr1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 19th, 2011, 07:15 AM   #29
GeneJunkie
ninjette.org sage

Name: Cindy

Motorcycle(s): 2010 Ninja 250R

Quote:

See the whitewater behind the Ady Gil, that means they're moving forward. Go to 3:40. You see that the whaling boat manages to just get past the Ady Gil's bow, right before they open it up and push themselves back in front of the whaling vessel.

If you watched the episode and read the press about it, the Ady Gil was out of fuel and was waiting for the Bob Barker to refuel, there was no way they could have moved out of the way of the security vessel.
GeneJunkie is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 19th, 2011, 07:54 AM   #30
Liber
ninjette.org sage

Motorcycle(s): EX250J

Part of me wants to fit a boat to go do some research on the sustainability of the eco-nut population off the coast of Antarctica.

Honestly though, these people have it coming. I don't know why the Japanese don't load up and start plinking away at the Shepherd as soon as it begins threatening action. Then again, I wonder how much of it is staged.
Liber is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 19th, 2011, 12:54 PM   #31
RhinoJC
ninjette.org member

dubojr1,

The video I linked isn't misleading at all, it's very clear. The Ady Gil was moving forward prior to being hit and gunned the engines right before they were hit. The whitewater coming from behind the boat prior to them gunning the engines trails behind them a significant distance. If that was exhaust it would have been a pretty powerful current pushing it out from the back of the Ady Gil, a current which also would have been pushing the Ady Gil. More than likely the Ady Gil was sitting just above idle, since the slight forward momentum helps stabilize boats on choppy water. Also, the plume of whitewater before they got hit, the plume around 3:44, was not simply an idling engine. That was clearly a motor powering up. It's also very clear that the Ady Gil lurches forward prior to being hit.

Now I've seen the video you linked. I didn't link it because it isn't clear and requires a lot of speculation. The whaling boat does turn towards the Ady Gil, but when they do so they list pretty good and they kick up a decent size wave. Now that could have been a course correction that went wrong, a turn meant to scare the Ady Gil that went too far because of a surge, or they could have intentionally turned directly into the Ady Gil, there's no way to know from that video. Keep in mind there appears to be two turns towards the Ady Gil. The first caused the boat to bounce a bit and wasn't directly into the Ady Gil, the second is the one that pushed them towards the Ady Gil. What it looks like to me is a turn towards the Ady Gil to scare them that carried the boat too far because of the motion of the boat. Also, the boat ended up pointing directly at the passenger section of the Ady, and then turned away. If you intend to ram a boat that small, you intend to kill it's passengers. So why would they turn away when that's exactly where they were pointed?

The video you showed also fails to show how the Ady was constantly passing in front of the whaling boat with obvious disregard for their own safety. I wouldn't put it past the Ady's crew for a second to put themselves in front of the whaling boat, which my video clearly showed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeneJunkie
If you watched the episode and read the press about it, the Ady Gil was out of fuel and was waiting for the Bob Barker to refuel, there was no way they could have moved out of the way of the security vessel.
I don't need to take the word of extremists. The video I linked clearly shows that the Ady's engines were operational. Low on fuel, sucking fumes, maybe. But they definitely weren't dead in the water.

Now please don't take the aggravation of that comment as being directed towards you, it isn't. It's a general dislike for the media. All the media cares about anymore is getting ratings, and they'll spin a story any way they have to in order to get those ratings.

Old July 19th, 2011, 01:28 PM   #32
Xoulrath
ninjette.org sage

Name: T

Motorcycle(s): Current: '11 ZX-6R; Previous: '09 Ninjette; '08 ZX-6R (Ex-Wife '09 TU250X)

Regardless of how or why the Ady Gil was hit, they shouldn't have been there in the first place. If you don't agree with the laws, or you think the Japanese are taking advantage of the international community, then you fight it through the legal system. Not like terrorists.

It would be just as easy for these environmentalists to document the goings-on of the whaling vessels, and if/when any wrongdoing is found, bring the evidence before an international committee and let the law work.

I wouldn't be surprised if the entire show is scripted, much like all the other so-called "reality" TV.

Old July 19th, 2011, 02:20 PM   #33
Liber
ninjette.org sage

What I find interesting is that green laser. What are they trying to accomplish? They obviously aren't very good at aiming it at whatever.

I'm sorry, but it's generally not a smart thing to be pointing a green or red(or any color) laser at anybody, especially if they can't clearly see what is holding the laser: A hand or a gun? I guess the eco-nuts are betting on the stereotype that all Japanese are die hard pacifists these days.

Point being, If I were to ever go sailing in international waters for any reason, I would prefer to be armed to the teeth, ideally with a swiveling M2 Browning.

Old July 19th, 2011, 02:34 PM   #34
whiteboy
ninjette.org member

M2 is the greatest weapon ever and I think those Japanese need to be armed for protection from terrorist or the ol pesky pirates. But I'd like a mk19 aswell the keep the m2 company. But back on topic lol I watched it a few times to see the nut jobs cry but it got old quick and now I realy don't care to much to watch it.

Last futzed with by whiteboy; July 19th, 2011 at 07:09 PM. Reason: Jibberish from the iPhone
whiteboy is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 19th, 2011, 05:04 PM   #35
rockstarcordova
\m/\m/

Name: Mike

Motorcycle(s): 93 Ninja EX250

Quote:
The whaling boat does turn towards the Ady Gil, but when they do so they list pretty good and they kick up a decent size wave. Now that could have been a course correction that went wrong, a turn meant to scare the Ady Gil
For the whaling fleet to be concerned about safety and in miles of open water this maneuver was not observing safety. This is not their first dance in the southern ocean, though i can see their frustration because of the money involved in the operation, to go as far to intentionally "scare" the "terrorists" is not about safety. The Ady Gil was clearly out of fuel and sitting ducks. The whaling ship could have easily plotted course away from them....again MILES of ocean around them but chose to aim for them, against "safety", and fight back so to speak.

Not an attack on you Rhino, I just feel that sometimes taking a "vigilante" course in a matter where our oceans, our source of life and what sustains us as the human race to live, is the right thing to do. You can't appeal to law makers and sit idly by and sign petitions. Action must be taken. The Sea Sheperds are no saints but you do what you gotta do to take a stand. Dead ocean means dead earth. done. The show is for ratings and the editing shows that, but the cause is real and its not only the whales but it is also sharks and blue fin tuna and seals and all life biological.This is concentrated on our life's blood, the ocean. There are bigger issues as the human race but with 7 billion people on this planet that is spreading like a cancer and sucking up all the resources, every little bit counts that helps save ourselves. The planet will be fine, she will repair herself after we are extinct. Sea Sheperds are taking action to save US by protecting THEM(whales, tuna, etc..etc).

I am a sea sheperd on land. I do support the cause. So if i came off strong, i apologize. But I do care.
rockstarcordova is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 19th, 2011, 06:37 PM   #36
Liber
ninjette.org sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockstarcordova View Post
You can't appeal to law makers and sit idly by and sign petitions. Action must be taken.
That sounds eerily familiar, I'm sure I've read something like that in a history book before...Oh yeh, words spoken by every dictator in history. "Take it to the streets, action action action. etc."

Old July 19th, 2011, 06:51 PM   #37
rockstarcordova
\m/\m/

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liber View Post
That sounds eerily familiar, I'm sure I've read something like that in a history book before...Oh yeh, words spoken by every dictator in history. "Take it to the streets, action action action. etc."

Old July 19th, 2011, 08:44 PM   #38
RhinoJC
ninjette.org member

Quote:
For the whaling fleet to be concerned about safety and in miles of open water this maneuver was not observing safety. This is not their first dance in the southern ocean, though i can see their frustration because of the money involved in the operation, to go as far to intentionally "scare" the "terrorists" is not about safety. The Ady Gil was clearly out of fuel and sitting ducks. The whaling ship could have easily plotted course away from them....again MILES of ocean around them but chose to aim for them, against "safety", and fight back so to speak.

Not an attack on you Rhino, I just feel that sometimes taking a "vigilante" course in a matter where our oceans, our source of life and what sustains us as the human race to live, is the right thing to do. You can't appeal to law makers and sit idly by and sign petitions. Action must be taken. The Sea Sheperds are no saints but you do what you gotta do to take a stand. Dead ocean means dead earth. done. The show is for ratings and the editing shows that, but the cause is real and its not only the whales but it is also sharks and blue fin tuna and seals and all life biological.This is concentrated on our life's blood, the ocean. There are bigger issues as the human race but with 7 billion people on this planet that is spreading like a cancer and sucking up all the resources, every little bit counts that helps save ourselves. The planet will be fine, she will repair herself after we are extinct. Sea Sheperds are taking action to save US by protecting THEM(whales, tuna, etc..etc).

I am a sea sheperd on land. I do support the cause. So if i came off strong, i apologize. But I do care.
I'll agree with you up to the point of vigilantism. There are laws in place to handle these things and procedures to change the laws should they not fit the current situation. Unfortunately these things do take time, but there's a right way and a wrong way.

Now lets realistically look at this for a second. The activists (extremists) have used crossbows, acid, other chemicals, laser pointers of some type, and who knows what else. They also show a complete disregard for safety whenever they go out. Yet the whalers are using high powered water hoses and audio deterrents. These are international waters with one side being privately funded and the other being a nationally backed operation. If the Japanese were to level the playing field, it doesn't take much to figure out what the outcome would be.

Old July 19th, 2011, 09:06 PM   #39
rockstarcordova
\m/\m/

Quote:
I'll agree with you up to the point of vigilantism. There are laws in place to handle these things and procedures to change the laws should they not fit the current situation. Unfortunately these things do take time, but there's a right way and a wrong way.

Now lets realistically look at this for a second. The activists (extremists) have used crossbows, acid, other chemicals, laser pointers of some type, and who knows what else. They also show a complete disregard for safety whenever they go out. Yet the whalers are using high powered water hoses and audio deterrents. These are international waters with one side being privately funded and the other being a nationally backed operation. If the Japanese were to level the playing field, it doesn't take much to figure out what the outcome would be.
Dually noted...on a side note the acid is basically a stink bomb and it spoils the whale meat on contact so it is not sold and it contaminates the deck too to keep future kills from being processed.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Butyric_acid

I also found this wiki article on japan whaling to be very unbiased and even shows the politics involved and even Japan's refusal to follow the ban on whaling itself.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Whaling_in_Japan

To the core of it all SSCS is doing the right thing. Now if the ban is ever lifted and it continues then I can easily see the fault in what they are doing but for now they are the only hand of justice the world has.

Old July 20th, 2011, 03:20 AM   #40
RhinoJC
ninjette.org member

Quote:
Dually noted...on a side note the acid is basically a stink bomb and it spoils the whale meat on contact so it is not sold and it contaminates the deck too to keep future kills from being processed.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Butyric_acid

I also found this wiki article on japan whaling to be very unbiased and even shows the politics involved and even Japan's refusal to follow the ban on whaling itself.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Whaling_in_Japan

To the core of it all SSCS is doing the right thing. Now if the ban is ever lifted and it continues then I can easily see the fault in what they are doing but for now they are the only hand of justice the world has.
As far as butyric acid being only a stink bomb, the MSDS would say otherwise.

http://msds.chem.ox.ac.uk/BU/butyric_acid.html

And you seem to have missed a part of the Whaling in Japan wiki you linked.

Quote:
Japan's pelagic whaling fleet, which annually hunts large whales in the Southern Ocean, consists of a number of ships for hunting and processing whale catch as well as securing the hunt against protests. During the 2009–10 season, the Japanese fleet included a factory ship, four harpoon ships and two security patrol vessels. The Japanese quota includes 935 minke, 50 fin and 50 humpback whales per season.