ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > General > Motorcycle Gear

Old February 20th, 2012, 09:14 AM   #1
akshay11
ninjette.org member

Name: Akshay

Motorcycle(s): 2012 Ninja 650

What gear is actually practical?

I've read the sticky thread, but I'm wondering what is actually practical to wear when riding around the city, or especially to school. The last few months of college, I see tons of people on motorcycles going to school in like.. cargo shorts, t-shirt, regular shoes, and sunglasses. Then you also have a bunch that actually wear some safety gear, helmet and jacket. But I never see someone in shorts with shin high boots, or weather leather pants to class when its 80 out. I get why you 'should' wear all the gear, but what's the point in buying all the gear if your not going to wear it. Honestly I will wear the helmet jacket and gloves almost always, but i can't see myself putting on shin high boots or leather pants everytime I ride to the gym or class :S.
akshay11 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 20th, 2012, 09:22 AM   #2
Alex
ninjette.org dude

Name: 1 guess :-)

Motorcycle(s): '13 Ninja 300 (white, the fastest color!), '13 R1200RT, '14 CRF250L, '12 TT-R125LE

It's OK. Chicks dig scars.

ninjette.org Terms of Service

Shopping for motorcycle parts or equipment? Come here first.

The friendliest Ninja 250R/300/400 forum on the internet! (especially Unregistered)
Alex is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 20th, 2012, 09:31 AM   #3
EMSRacer07
ninjette.org sage

Name: Byron

Motorcycle(s): Ninja ex250 1990

all it takes is one time for an accident to happen. Do u want that one time to be cool with shorts and flip flops or protected with boots jacket and pants?

Old February 20th, 2012, 09:35 AM   #4
akshay11
ninjette.org member

Right, I get that. But I guess what I'm asking is, even when you get on your bike for a 5 min ride where the speed limit is 55.. do you still wear shin high boots, pants, jacket, etc etc.. even in blistering heat?

Old February 20th, 2012, 09:40 AM   #5
iceknyght
Recalculating. . .

Name: Jason

Motorcycle(s): '09 250 (sold) '12 Ninja 650

There is gear that you can get that's functional and practical... I have boots that, while not the stylish looking cycle boot, work quite well... They are above ankle and have some nice structure to them, yet are totally walkable... As for pants, you can get either overpants or kevlar lined jeans, which *look* just like regular jeans... If I need to switch anything, I always bring my backpack with me with whatever I need... Basically, it is doable to ride safe *and* practical! If you want to wear shorts and flip flops, put 'em in your back pack or tank bag and change when you get to wherever you're going... It's not worth it to ride like 'every one else'... Like mentioned above, it only takes one time...

Old February 20th, 2012, 09:46 AM   #6
EMSRacer07
ninjette.org sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by akshay11 View Post
Right, I get that. But I guess what I'm asking is, even when you get on your bike for a 5 min ride where the speed limit is 55.. do you still wear shin high boots, pants, jacket, etc etc.. even in blistering heat?
yes. but the purpose of getting gear is so ur comfortable in it 24/7 if u had to wear it that long. I bought boots i could get off my bike and walk a mile in no prob and get back on the bike to ride. For jacket if its hot out get a nice mesh or cordora jacket its so nice with a breeze . Pants i got kevlar pants that look like normal jeans and got shin guards to put underneath. I can wear all that all day bc i made myself get used to and comfortable gear. Ie dont wear too warm of gear in the summer u almost pass out from the heat.

even a 5 min ride someone can side swip u, could make a bad lean on a turn, lock up brakes ( did this first 5 min on a ride on accident), etc. Dont know when its going to happen but might as well be comfortable doing it and i think my gear is alot more cooler looking than being in flip flops and shorts

Old February 20th, 2012, 09:57 AM   #7
akshay11
ninjette.org member

The kevlar jeans sound like a good compromise. Any idea how much those typically cost?

Old February 20th, 2012, 09:59 AM   #8
EMSRacer07
ninjette.org sage

Quote:
The kevlar jeans sound like a good compromise. Any idea how much those typically cost?
i got shift kevlar jeans.$65 Idk what size u wear but only a few left at some stores. Draggin Jeans are kevlar laced. around $90 And a few other brands like some of icon pants. $80-100. Look around each one has different style jeans.

Old February 20th, 2012, 10:01 AM   #9
Guoseph
ninjette.org member

Name: Alex

Motorcycle(s): 2015 Husky FE501S, 2007 KTM 525 EXC, 2002 KTM 250 EXC, 1998 Honda VFR 800

Quote:
It doesn't matter if you ride for 5 minutes or 5 hours. It takes 5 seconds for someone to turn left in front of you or cut you off. It hurts a lot when you fall of your bike. If you think the speed is "low" at 55, do a baseball slide in the parking lot with just your jeans on at running speed and let me know how that goes. Then think about jumping out of a moving car at 55, and what you would want to be wearing.

Not just shin high boots, but boots with REAL ankle protection are just the start. Jeans will rip at the first sign of asphalt, leaving your skin to rub on the ground. Cleaning dirt and rocks out of your skin hurts, believe me. And mine was only a dime sized hole that still wore through a full leather suit. You don't have to wear leather pants. Good textile gear can protect you as well, and good knee armor protects your knee caps, which get busted up surprisingly easily.

Not trying to scare you, but the "practical" reality is that you have to assess the potential risks of what you choose to wear, and be prepared to live with the consequences.

P.S. You live in MN, not FL. You've probably got 3 ft of snow outside, I don't understand this "blistering heat" of which you speak.
Guoseph is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 20th, 2012, 10:10 AM   #10
cerberusrex25
Accesories Guru

Name: Dave

Motorcycle(s): '99 EX250(Cafe/fighter project)

Quote:
The majority of motorcycle accidents occur at low speeds, within 5 miles from your house, this is because we lower our guards and think we are safe and home free. You might be saying to yourself " this dude is full of crap, I dont have to listen to his made up statistics!!", and I would say you are correct; you don't have to do anything that we tell ya but, my statement is true. The reason you wear ATGATT is because of the unpredictable nature of accidents, might not be your fault; might be some lady backing up form her driveway that did not see you, might be that since you are closer to home or work or the gym or school you decided it is safe now and you are not as alert as before, it might be that a pet got of its leash and ran to the middle of the road, might be a child who was holding said leash that ran after his/her pet in the middle of the road, might be a drunk driver on a sunday afternoon after the game driving a couple blocks back home. All of this things( only a few of the top of my head) can cause you to veer of course, drop your bike, slam on the brakes or fall, and all of them are encountered on relatively safe areas where the speed is waaaaaaay below 55 miles an hour. If you are wearing gear, you will come out relatively safe out of each and every one of those scenarios.

Gear is not for comfort( most modern gear is quite comfortable btw)it is designed to keep you safe and alive.

TL; DR: wear your gear, you will live. Don't be a fool wrap your tool applies too
cerberusrex25 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 20th, 2012, 10:37 AM   #11
outasight20
ninjette.org member

Name: Weezy

Motorcycle(s): 2005 Yamaha FZ6

Look bud, wearing gear is like anything else in life. You get used to it. It's funny that in the summer people complain about it being too hot or whatever. Well in the winter guess what! The gear keeps you warm AND safe! I would say get a good textile jacket, good gloves, and any helmet. Wear any footwear that goes past your ankle (work boots, tims) and tie it tightly, make sure it can't come off! As far as leg protection, you can get mesh overpants with CE armor in the knees and hips.

In all honesty, most of the summer I ride around with a helmet, mesh jacket with CE armor in elbows, back, and shoulders, gloves with armored knuckles and mid digits, and timberland boots.

In the winter I have been riding with a leather jacket, same boots, textile overpants with liner, and winter leather gloves.

Do yourself a favor, go outside and jump onto the pavement landing on your hands and knees. Bet it hurt right? Now imagine doing that at 60 MPH.
outasight20 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 20th, 2012, 11:06 AM   #12
Guoseph
ninjette.org member

Motorcycle(s): 2015 Husky FE501S, 2007 KTM 525 EXC, 2002 KTM 250 EXC, 1998 Honda VFR 800

Quote:
Originally Posted by cerberusrex25 View Post
Don't be a fool wrap your tool applies too
Leather is NOT recommended

Guoseph is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 20th, 2012, 11:08 AM   #13
EthioKnight
Super Noob

Motorcycle(s): '09 Kawasaki Ninja 250R, '84 Honda Spree 50cc

I wear my gear (jacket, gloves, alpinestar boots, icon jeans with knee pads) every time I ride, which is everyday. The only time I take an exception is when riding to the park to jog...I ride with sweat pants and sneakers...I know I shouldn't, but it's inconvenient and I haven't as of yet figured out a way to wear my gear and carry my sport equipment.
currently working on a plan where I take my motorcycle tarp with me and then cover up all the stuff (boots, jacket, helmet) underneath it.
but do wear as much gear as you can bro.
EthioKnight is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 20th, 2012, 03:28 PM   #14
akshay11
ninjette.org member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guoseph View Post
P.S. You live in MN, not FL. You've probably got 3 ft of snow outside, I don't understand this "blistering heat" of which you speak.
It's actually hardly snowed at all this winter. The temp's been ~40 for the past 2 weeks.. 45 out right now. Already seen a few people out riding, saw 2 zx 6rs today. And in the summer it does get above 90 believe it or not. The average temp is july is 80. Might not be as hot as other places but other people on the forums have mentioned overheating issues in 80+ weather in leather.

I also just got back from the dealership a bit ago to figure out what my bike would cost with the Costco discount, and while I was there the guy showed me some gear. Ofcourse he goes and recommends a $549 Shoei helmet, hes a salesman. But when I asked him what is practical to wear here in the summer, he flat out said definitely a helmet, jacket, and gloves. Didn't even mention pants or boots.

I'm not trying to come up with an excuse not to wear protective gear. I'm just trying to find out what I would realistically wear day in and day out. Personally I think theres some pretty good looking shin high boots I could get. I just don't want to buy stuff that I use for a week or two and then stop using for whatever reason.

Old February 20th, 2012, 03:31 PM   #15
akshay11
ninjette.org member

Oh and Guoseph, this was last year:

I'm not that new to the heat btw. Used to live in oklahoma for a few years. But yeah I mean I could still get mesh jackets instead of pure leather, or perhaps even leather with airflow.

Old February 20th, 2012, 04:45 PM   #16
Jiggles
Jigglin' your Jiglets

Name: Sean

Motorcycle(s): 2009 K1300S, 2013 Ninja 300, 2011 Ninja 250R, Faster than Unregistered's ninjette

MOTM - Apr '13
1st gear, 2nd if you need to go over 110
AFM #676
Supersports are for n00bs
Jiggles is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 20th, 2012, 05:11 PM   #17
NikkitaNinja
ninjette.org guru

Name: Tyler

Motorcycle(s): 2008 Kawasaki Ninja 250 *Nikkita* - 2003 Buell XB9R

Akshay, I think you need to go back and re-read what everyone has been telling you, since i don't think you understand. Just because one person or another person tells you or doesn't mention wearing protective pants, doesn't mean you shouldn't. It's truly your decision what you wear as a rider but just look at everyone's post again and you can clearly see that they are all recommending you to wear protective pants. Everyone has their own opinion on what is 'practical' for riding but if you want to be safe and keep your skin on your body, then you go ATGATT.
NikkitaNinja is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 20th, 2012, 05:17 PM   #18
EsrTek
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Eric

Motorcycle(s): '13 300

I rode all last year in MGATT (Most gear ...) as I just couldn't afford it all before I was riding. I actually learned ATGATT here and why it's good to use, after I already had my 2nd bike.
It is definitely worth wearing all gear all the time, my 1st crash was on way back from getting cigarettes 2 miles away!! Glad I had my jacket/gloves along w my helmet that time!!! Saved me from a broken collar bone/hurt head going over handlebars!!

As for the heat, it gets hot and humid here, and as long as you were moving, it was not hot...sitting a light it can get hot quick. I really needed a water source of some kind last year, got it this year, but I would also suggest that to anyone newer to street riding in summers.

The mesh jacket, although a cheap one, kind of felt like a blow dryer at times w the hot wind going right through it, and in summer nights was a bit too chilly for me. This year I went for a leather/textile w 0 mesh. Utilizing zippers for airflow, so it's a bit more controllable.
EsrTek is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 20th, 2012, 07:15 PM   #19
Reswob
ninjette.org sage

Name: Josh

Motorcycle(s): 2008 Triumph Bonneville Black

Quote:
It's actually hardly snowed at all this winter. The temp's been ~40 for the past 2 weeks.. 45 out right now. Already seen a few people out riding, saw 2 zx 6rs today. And in the summer it does get above 90 believe it or not. The average temp is july is 80. Might not be as hot as other places but other people on the forums have mentioned overheating issues in 80+ weather in leather.

I also just got back from the dealership a bit ago to figure out what my bike would cost with the Costco discount, and while I was there the guy showed me some gear. Ofcourse he goes and recommends a $549 Shoei helmet, hes a salesman. But when I asked him what is practical to wear here in the summer, he flat out said definitely a helmet, jacket, and gloves. Didn't even mention pants or boots.

I'm not trying to come up with an excuse not to wear protective gear. I'm just trying to find out what I would realistically wear day in and day out. Personally I think theres some pretty good looking shin high boots I could get. I just don't want to buy stuff that I use for a week or two and then stop using for whatever reason.
Hardly anyone ever mentions protective pants, and when they do they usually just talk about abrasion resistance and don't even think about impact protection. If you like your kneecaps I would wear some kind of knee armor even if you're not going to wear anything else.

For commuting I typically wear a helmet, gloves, jacket (mesh for the summer), jeans with knee guards underneath, and hiking boots. I would say that's pretty 'practical'. Once you get to class and hang your jacket on the back of your chair, stuff your gloves inside your helmet, and you don't look 'out of place', nor are your uncomfortable walking around campus. You don't have to have racing leathers on to be reasonably well-protected.

But no one here can tell you what to do. Wear a wife beater, shorts, and flips-flops, no skin off my nose.

Old February 20th, 2012, 07:47 PM   #20
Alex
ninjette.org dude

Motorcycle(s): '13 Ninja 300 (white, the fastest color!), '13 R1200RT, '14 CRF250L, '12 TT-R125LE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jiggles View Post
1st gear, 2nd if you need to go over 110

The friendliest Ninja 250R/300/400 forum on the internet! (especially Unregistered)

Old February 20th, 2012, 08:00 PM   #21
squaregamer476
learning stages

Name: M

Motorcycle(s): black 09 kawasaki ninja 250

Im MGATT. My common gear is helmet, gloves, alpinestar pants, Icon boots, and a Bright red long sleeve shirt on a Hot / normal day short trips. I wear My jacket if im going on the freeway or long trips.
squaregamer476 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 20th, 2012, 08:30 PM   #22
alex.s
wat

Name: wat

Motorcycle(s): wat

MOTM - Oct '12, Feb '14
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex View Post
It's OK. Chicks dig scars.
its cool, chicks dig guys with missing feet.

Old February 20th, 2012, 09:09 PM   #23
Xoulrath
ninjette.org sage

Name: T

Motorcycle(s): Current: '11 ZX-6R; Previous: '09 Ninjette; '08 ZX-6R (Ex-Wife '09 TU250X)

It's only as impractical to wear gear as you make it.

I wear helmet, jacket, gloves, and at least my kevlar riding jeans at all times. The big chink in my armor (pun intended) is boots, and it has been for a while. I have track boots that I wear on the majority of rides where my destination is my house. When I am going to school or work or out, I have been wearing shoes or dress shoes. Not smart and I really need to fix it. There are plenty of protective boots out there that can be worn comfortably for more than just the ride.

I rode without gear a few days ago after washing my bike. I threw on my helmet and took it for a quick spin to dry the chain and heat it up a bit so I could lube it when I returned. It was no more than a ten minute ride and a few miles. I felt naked without my gear. I was seriously crunched for time so I decided to just go. That is one of a handful of times in two years of riding that I have not worn most or all gear.

My ex-wife had several drops and a few slow speed mishaps on the roadway leading to our (her) house when she started riding. It was all gravel at the time, and the gravel was boulder sized. She used to bitch about me making her gear up in everything, and yet after her drops, she was so glad she put on those knee pads. Once the bike actually landed across one of her knee pads. She had a nice bruise for some time. That was with gear.

Your life and your call, but the more gear, the better. Combine it with safe riding practices and you have the potential to go accident free and never have to make use of the gear. But better safe than sorry. Don't forget, also, that a large number of new riders will at the very least drop the bike once.

Old February 20th, 2012, 11:09 PM   #24
Firehorse
ninjette.org sage

Name: Ms.T, Queen of the Night

Motorcycle(s): 2011 Ninja 250

ATGATT with no exceptions.

Why?

Most accidents happen in the first few minutes OR in a tiny radius around your house - it's a fact.

After a short while, you will feel naked without your gear. After the first drop, you will wear protective pants if you're able to ride again. Why wait?

A rider's gear reflects their skill. Less gear, less respect.

No gear to go for a jog??? That one caught my eye. Soooo, jogging to keep a person healthy, mmm, yes,..risking becoming a veg to get to the healthy place...hmm - head scratcher. Come on, jogging stuff underneath, throw the gear, boots, helmet and all in the back pack and go military - jog with some weight!

Just my humble opinion...we want you to ride forever so gear up!
Firehorse is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 20th, 2012, 11:14 PM   #25
setasai
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Brian

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Ninja 250R Green

I am also an ATGATT type of rider as well BUT I will say that practical gear is gear that you will wear. If you cannot in your own head justify wearing armored pants and boots everytime but will definitely wear a jacket and gloves (helmet assumed), then so be it. It would be the very definition of impractical for you to buy the most expensive pants and boots but know that you arent going to wear them.

For pants, if you can swing it... $180 gets you jean looking cordura jean style pants at motoport. It's highly recommended that you consider those. It gives you high level of protection for a very subtle toned down look.

Old February 20th, 2012, 11:16 PM   #26
etiainen
CBR250R Traitor

Name: Jon

Motorcycle(s): 2011 Red CBR250R 2009 Ninja 250r SE(With 2008 Fairings)(sold)

Even when it is 100 out, I've worn full gear. Jeans aren't really protective. Neither are sneakers. Yeah I probably look ridiculous in my shin high boots and overpants, but you just get used to it. It's just part of my routine now and I ride pretty much everyday.
etiainen is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 20th, 2012, 11:23 PM   #27
Firehorse
ninjette.org sage

Name: Ms.T, Queen of the Night

Motorcycle(s): 2011 Ninja 250

This version is pretty inexpensive and looks pretty plain. You won't look like a showboat.

2 piece, but can be zipped together, EASY to get on and off, strips down to just mesh with protective padding. Used at 40c and -11c. Has a waterproof removable inner shell, outside is water resistant but the faster you go in the rain, the less water resistant. It's from Joe Rocket, Canadian made.

You could also find some pants that are more like a modern version a chaps - don't look so dorky but zip on and off in a second, no padding but better than nothing.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Fat_Black_Snowman.JPG (53.1 KB, 5 views)
Firehorse is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 21st, 2012, 12:17 AM   #28
Alex
ninjette.org dude

Quote:
Originally Posted by Firehorse View Post
Most accidents happen in the first few minutes OR in a tiny radius around your house - it's a fact.
If that's true, I'm staying far away from your house. Sounds dangerous!

Old February 21st, 2012, 12:26 AM   #29
Jiggles
Jigglin' your Jiglets

Name: Sean

Motorcycle(s): 2009 K1300S, 2013 Ninja 300, 2011 Ninja 250R, Faster than Unregistered's ninjette

MOTM - Apr '13
Quote:
Originally Posted by Firehorse View Post
Wait wait wait, are you saying that less accidents happen 100 miles away from your house than 5 miles away from your house?
AFM #676
Supersports are for n00bs
Jiggles is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 21st, 2012, 12:37 AM   #30
etiainen
CBR250R Traitor

That's preposterous!

Old February 21st, 2012, 01:32 AM   #31
NathanF
ninjette.org member

Name: Nathan

Motorcycle(s): 2009 V-Strom 650 ABS

Quote:
Yes.

As many others have already said, most accidents occur close to your house. The universe does not care if you are going for a 5 minute ride or a 5 hour - you can be at the wrong place at the wrong time regardless.

You need to go look at some of the gory photos on what happens when you don't wear gear. For instance, I used to not wear boots, but one thread in particular showed me why that is possiby one of the worst things you can do.

Grinding your skin off is a life changing misery in and of itself, but try a shattered foot or ankle on for size. You might never walk normally again.

Just my two cents!
NathanF is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 21st, 2012, 07:57 AM   #32
massacremasses
Avid Kitteh Poster

Name: Justin

Motorcycle(s): 2006 Yamaha TTR 50 SUCK IT

I use a sheep for protection, and loving on long rides...

Last futzed with by massacremasses; February 21st, 2012 at 06:22 PM.
massacremasses is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 21st, 2012, 09:20 AM   #33
gfloyd2002
User Title Free Since '12

Name: Floyd

Motorcycle(s): '10 Ninja 250R Special Edition Green

MOTM - Feb '12
Quote:
I've read the sticky thread, but I'm wondering what is actually practical to wear when riding around the city, or especially to school. The last few months of college, I see tons of people on motorcycles going to school in like.. cargo shorts, t-shirt, regular shoes, and sunglasses. Then you also have a bunch that actually wear some safety gear, helmet and jacket. But I never see someone in shorts with shin high boots, or weather leather pants to class when its 80 out. I get why you 'should' wear all the gear, but what's the point in buying all the gear if your not going to wear it. Honestly I will wear the helmet jacket and gloves almost always, but i can't see myself putting on shin high boots or leather pants everytime I ride to the gym or class :S.
This is why commuter suits work so well. I have a one piece from Teiz Motorsports that I slip on over my work clothes. A single bit of gear, easy to put on, just wear it over your clothes. When you get to school/work, it zips off and you've got shorts and t-shirt on. (I stow my boots and helmet under my desk at work, with the Teiz on a hanger. It isn't any harder than storing a jacket.)

What many fail to realize is what a high percentage of injuries in motorcycle accidents are to the legs. A majority of them, in fact. And while it can be difficult to store everything when you protect yourself ATGATT (just like having a helmet can be a problem when you get to your destination), it is easier to sort out than you might think. And using a one-piece makes it even easier. Seriously, after you've been down once, you'll either be thrilled you had some abrasion resistance on your legs or seriously regretting it -- there isn't much room in the middle on that one. If you doubt the need, just type "road rash" into google and brace yourself. And don't go by what other people at your school do. You are only looking at the ones who haven't been down on their bikes yet. Once they do, and they will, they are going to gear up if they are still physically able to.

The Teiz Lombard one piece suit costs less than $300, and that includes everything. Not the most fashionable thing out there, but it is very protective and well made. And it makes it easy to be ATGATT over your school, or beach, or work clothes.

"Improvement makes straight roads, but the crooked roads without improvement, are roads of genius." — William Blake
gfloyd2002 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 21st, 2012, 09:24 AM   #34
gfloyd2002

MOTM - Feb '12
Quote:
Blistering heat, btw, isn't an issue. First of all, you live in MN. But I live in the tropics, where it is always hot and humid, and don't have a problem being ATGATT. Wearing the right gear, you can actually be cooler than if you were in direct sunlight on the bike (well, up to about 100 degrees, then you are screwed regardless). All you need is high quality, breathable gear. I wear REV'IT Turbine gear or my Teiz Mojave one piece. Both are very cool in hot weather, that both keep the sun off and let the air flow through really well. I get limited sweating under the padding, but not as much as you'd think.

"Improvement makes straight roads, but the crooked roads without improvement, are roads of genius." — William Blake

Old February 21st, 2012, 09:28 AM   #35
gfloyd2002

MOTM - Feb '12
Quote:
Shift Lowdown jeans are $49 at Motorcycle Superstore. Not as good as something with padding, but a decent compromise.

I have a pair and actually went down in them after a little disagreement with a patch of moss on a wet bridge. No road rash at all, but I was bruised on my hip and knee and wished I'd had something padded. I now use my one piece or REV'IT riding pants almost exclusively.

Old February 21st, 2012, 09:57 AM   #36
etiainen
CBR250R Traitor

Quote:
Originally Posted by gfloyd2002 View Post
This is why commuter suits work so well. I have a one piece from Teiz Motorsports that I slip on over my work clothes. A single bit of gear, easy to put on, just wear it over your clothes. When you get to school/work, it zips off and you've got shorts and t-shirt on. (I stow my boots and helmet under my desk at work, with the Teiz on a hanger. It isn't any harder than storing a jacket.)

What many fail to realize is what a high percentage of injuries in motorcycle accidents are to the legs. A majority of them, in fact. And while it can be difficult to store everything when you protect yourself ATGATT (just like having a helmet can be a problem when you get to your destination), it is easier to sort out than you might think. And using a one-piece makes it even easier. Seriously, after you've been down once, you'll either be thrilled you had some abrasion resistance on your legs or seriously regretting it -- there isn't much room in the middle on that one. If you doubt the need, just type "road rash" into google and brace yourself. And don't go by what other people at your school do. You are only looking at the ones who haven't been down on their bikes yet. Once they do, and they will, they are going to gear up if they are still physically able to.

The Teiz Lombard one piece suit costs less than $300, and that includes everything. Not the most fashionable thing out there, but it is very protective and well made. And it makes it easy to be ATGATT over your school, or beach, or work clothes.

Wow...that suit looks AWESOME for commuting. I know what piece of gear I'm getting next

Old February 21st, 2012, 10:52 AM   #37
Alex
ninjette.org dude

Quote:
Originally Posted by massacremasses View Post
I use a sheep for protection, and loving on long rides...
Pic not coming thru.

Old February 21st, 2012, 04:36 PM   #38
LoD575
ninjette.org sage

Name: Steve

Motorcycle(s): 2012 Ninja 250, 2006 Ninja ZX6R-636

The only piece I am missing is some overpants/reinforced riding pants which hopefully will be remedied this weekend, but for now heavy denim works.

The gear I wear all the time is:
helmet, textile jacket, , leather full gauntlet gloves, armored hard shorts, full length knee/shin guards, and boots. Besides the helmet, jacket, and gloves I can wear the remaining gear all day long without discomfort.
LoD575 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 21st, 2012, 05:20 PM   #39
ForceofWill
Blind 250 Loving Whore

Name: Tom

Motorcycle(s): 2008 250R, 02 FZ1, '20 Fat Bob 114

Nobody can tell you what to wear or not, you're an adult and make those decisions yourself. Everyone has to decide for themselves how much risk they're willing to accept in any activity they participate in. You can google stories and pics of what road rash does to people and then determine what you want to wear. There's no point in buying something you're not going to wear, but if you eat %$^& don't complain to anyone for the injuries you sustain.

I wear full leather top tier gear when I ride, but I don't have to use my bike as a daily commuter. If I did, I would definitely have a 1 piece from Motoport. The leather pants aren't really cut for walking and don't have very usable pockets. The Motoport suits give you top of the line protection and are extremely practical.

I wear full racing boots and don't have any trouble walking in them, not uncomfortable at all. Although I am in the military and used to wearing boots every day for at least 8 hours.
ForceofWill is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 21st, 2012, 05:23 PM   #40
kawininja92
ninjette.org member

Name: Sara

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Kawasaki Ninja 250

Speaking from experience, go ATGATT!! When I first started riding I always wore jeans, sneakers, my Scorpion riding jacket, and my helmet. Sometimes I wore gloves if I could stand it (I hate how they feel). But slowly I got more and more comfortable and lost more and more gear, with the exception of my helmet of course. But on Saturday I headed to work in a pair of shorts, my nike's, a tank top, and a zip up hoodie. And I wiped out taking a right turn way too fast and hard. I had to go to the hospital for this **** it was so bad. My entire right leg has road rash, I'm talking from the ankle all the way up to my butt, with some ON my butt. My left knee is completely covered in road rash and my left thigh/butt has some serious scrapes. My right elbow has a chunk out of it and so does my right hand. My jacket pulled down when I fell and I have road rash on my right boob and my chest. I can't walk, get up, sit down, get dressed, or shower on my own. I have to wrap my legs up every night before I go to sleep and apply antibiotic burn cream to prevent infection. I can't be out in public because when it is bandaged, I look like a mummy, and when it isn't, my burns are oozing out some disgusting bodily fluids. I will NEVER be so careless ever again. I can only imagine the difference a simple pair of jeans would have made. And I'm thankful that it was only this bad!

Moral of the story is, if you like your skin, you'll wear the gear.
kawininja92 is offline   Reply With Quote