Motorcycle(s): '10 250r, '09 265r

Close call with car and Bike

Link to original page on YouTube.

Old April 25th, 2012, 09:40 PM   #2
250rr
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Mark

Motorcycle(s): Cheap Italian Suit. Otherwise known as Dew Kitty

That's insanity. I can say without reservation that I've never come close to losing control of a car on the freeway like that. I'm not even sure I could make my car do that if I tried.
250rr is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 25th, 2012, 09:49 PM   #3
Jiggles
Jigglin' your Jiglets

Name: Sean

Motorcycle(s): 2009 K1300S, 2013 Ninja 300, 2011 Ninja 250R, Faster than Unregistered's ninjette

MOTM - Apr '13
This is the one situation where hitting the brakes instead of the throttle will get you killed
AFM #676
Supersports are for n00bs
Jiggles is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 25th, 2012, 10:00 PM   #4
cuong-nutz
RIP Alex

Name: Cuong

Motorcycle(s): '10 250r, '09 265r

Quote:
Originally Posted by 250rr View Post
That's insanity. I can say without reservation that I've never come close to losing control of a car on the freeway like that. I'm not even sure I could make my car do that if I tried.
Yeah, that car looks like he wasn't paying attention to the merging truck and braked and swerved.

Old April 25th, 2012, 10:11 PM   #5
250rr

Motorcycle(s): Cheap Italian Suit. Otherwise known as Dew Kitty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jiggles View Post
This is the one situation where hitting the brakes instead of the throttle will get you killed
Agreed.
250rr is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 25th, 2012, 10:18 PM   #6
sombo
Newb..... on a steeek! :D

Name: Mike

Motorcycle(s): 2012 Harley Davidson XL883L Sportster Superlow

Anyone else notice that the second bike almost got taken out too when the car's back end swung back out from the wall?

In both of those cases the throttle is the correct response.

Old April 25th, 2012, 10:47 PM   #7
EthioKnight
Super Noob

Name: Alex

Motorcycle(s): '09 Kawasaki Ninja 250R, '84 Honda Spree 50cc

Dude was extremely lucky...considering he had shorts on and no other perceptible riding gear, other than a helmet, it would have been a horrific accident if they had collided.
EthioKnight is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 26th, 2012, 05:45 AM   #8
robmilchling
ninjette.org guru

Name: Rob

Motorcycle(s): '09 Triumph Daytona 675

To me it looked like the driver drifted towards the right a bit, possibly towards the truck that was there, and way overcorrected trying to get it back into the lane, and over corrected even more trying to catch it, then just lost it for good. That is just terrifying.
robmilchling is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 26th, 2012, 06:33 AM   #9
codestp202

Holy crap that was too crazy

Old April 26th, 2012, 01:56 PM   #10
Malicious Logic
hates stupid people

Motorcycle(s): 2005 ZX6R

My money is on the car driver was on the phone, either talking or texting.

edit: did miss it

Last futzed with by Malicious Logic; April 26th, 2012 at 03:32 PM.
Malicious Logic is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 26th, 2012, 01:59 PM   #11
TnNinjaGirl
Ms. Personality

Name: CB

Motorcycle(s): Depends on the week you ask

How the hell do you loose control of a front wheel drive car in a straight line? That person should be put down because their stupidity is a danger to society. WTF
TnNinjaGirl is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 26th, 2012, 02:19 PM   #12
Jiggles
Jigglin' your Jiglets

Motorcycle(s): 2009 K1300S, 2013 Ninja 300, 2011 Ninja 250R, Faster than Unregistered's ninjette

MOTM - Apr '13
Quote:
Originally Posted by TnNinjaGirl View Post
How the hell do you loose control of a front wheel drive car in a straight line? That person should be put down because their stupidity is a danger to society. WTF
I like the way you think
AFM #676

Old April 26th, 2012, 02:55 PM   #13
alex.s
wat

Name: wat

Motorcycle(s): wat

MOTM - Oct '12, Feb '14
holy ****

Old April 26th, 2012, 03:12 PM   #14
Jono

Name: Jono

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Triumph Street Triple, 2009 KLX250SF, 2003 Suzuki SV650S (Sold), 2006 Ninja 250 (Sold)

Well the driver of that car was idiotic. They swerved back into the right lane for no particular reason, then swerved to the left really hard while slamming on the brakes which will cause the tires to completely lose grip. If they didn't touch the brakes it would be safe to assume that they would not have spun out.

Those bikers got really, really lucky!!

But what got my attention the most was the fact they they pulled over to the left side of the interstate. Like waaaaaaaaaa! Did they not just see a car go flying into the left side of the road. Those bikers are almost as retarded as the driver of that car. You just don't pull off to the left side of the interstate. I am pretty sure that is illegal.
Jono is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 26th, 2012, 03:29 PM   #15
Malicious Logic
hates stupid people

Motorcycle(s): 2005 ZX6R

Lol, you say that like there's a magnet that pulled that car to the left side. It could've just as easily swerved to the right side. Probably pulled over to that side because it was closest to where they are, not to mention if they went back to check on the car, I'd rather pull over on the left shoulder then on the right and have a cross a highway on foot. Don't really see the retardation.

Old April 26th, 2012, 03:46 PM   #16
xSean13

Motorcycle(s): 2010 Ninja 250r (sold) / '03 CBR 600RR

Probably a woman texting!
xSean13 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 26th, 2012, 05:27 PM   #17
sombo

It's not illegal to pull over on the left side. If there is enough room and it's safer than crossing 2-4 lanes of traffic, then you are supposed to pull off to that side. I see people pulled off to the left all the time. I also see cops pull people over onto the left as well. In one way it's safer because you have your car there as a barrier between you and traffic where as on the right you get out of the car almost into traffic. Of course that part doesn't mean squat for bikes, but it's just an example. I've had to pull over on the left before.

Old April 26th, 2012, 06:47 PM   #18
drac
ninjette.org member

Name: drac

Motorcycle(s): '88 Hurricane 600, '09 Ninja 250

Quote:
Originally Posted by sombo View Post
Anyone else notice that the second bike almost got taken out too when the car's back end swung back out from the wall?

In both of those cases the throttle is the correct response.

Are you friggin; kidding me........................that second bike that came up on the left was an idiot! He should of been hard on the binders well before he ever got near the car bouncing off the wall. Sorry but that guy F'ed up bad.

Old April 26th, 2012, 07:10 PM   #19
sombo

Quote:
Originally Posted by drac View Post
Are you friggin; kidding me........................that second bike that came up on the left was an idiot! He should of been hard on the binders well before he ever got near the car bouncing off the wall. Sorry but that guy F'ed up bad.
If he had been "hard on the binders", he would have the entire car blocking his lane with little to no path of escape. His best move was to get over to the right and get past that car as fast as possible because you don't know what that car will do next. If it's still in front you and heading in your direction, then you are far more at risk than if it's behind you heading away. He should have gotten further over to the right, but gunning it was better than trying to stop.

Old April 26th, 2012, 07:26 PM   #20
greenenvie
ninjette.org member

Name: Brian

Motorcycle(s): 2004 yellow 250r

Here is one from a guy reviewing a bmw s1000rr(awesome bike btw).

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=9TxEw1LunfM
greenenvie is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 26th, 2012, 09:05 PM   #21
drac
ninjette.org member

Quote:
If he had been "hard on the binders", he would have the entire car blocking his lane with little to no path of escape. His best move was to get over to the right and get past that car as fast as possible because you don't know what that car will do next. If it's still in front you and heading in your direction, then you are far more at risk than if it's behind you heading away. He should have gotten further over to the right, but gunning it was better than trying to stop.
Ummmmmmmm.......no

Old April 27th, 2012, 03:15 AM   #22
sombo

Quote:
Ummmmmmmm.......no
Ummmmmm.......... yes.

Old April 27th, 2012, 04:52 AM   #23
EsrTek

Name: Eric

Motorcycle(s): '13 300

Quote:
Kinda agree, To me his mistake was not changing lanes at the least.
Although I can't say if speeding up or slowing down would've been better, to me it didn't seem like he did neither, just kept same pace and moved to inside of lane.

Anyway I wonder wtf made that car do that, might have blown a tire?
EsrTek is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 27th, 2012, 05:45 AM   #24
drac
ninjette.org member

The first guys through was screwed. He was entirely at the mercy of dumb luck, a pretty bad pace to be in any vehicle let alone a motorcycle but those things happen.

The second guy had the opportunity to brake hard and take control of the situation. He didn't do that which left him at the mercy of lady luck also.

Sombo, if that happens to you and you choose to "gas it" and pray that you get by unscathed be my guest. Me, I am going to make every effort to control my own destiny.

Old April 27th, 2012, 06:39 AM   #25
sombo

Drac, if that happens to you and you brake, I pray you don't end up in the driver's side of the car. Braking isn't always the best answer, this is one of those times. If he had braked hard he still would have had enough speed to make impact with the car that was spinning around toward him and would now be blocking the entire lane. His best course of action was to move to the right and speed up. Slowing down keeps the uncontrolled car in front of you with no way of knowing what it will do next. So go ahead and hit your brakes hard in that case. I'll visit you in the hospital.

Old April 27th, 2012, 06:50 AM   #26
drac
ninjette.org member

Quote:
His best move was to get over to the right and get past that car as fast as possible because you don't know what that car will do next.
Quote:
Slowing down keeps the uncontrolled car in front of you with no way of knowing what it will do next.
You said that twice now and I completely disagree. I would rather have a vehicle that is out off control in front of me as opposed to having that same out of control vehicle NEXT to me. Even if it is just for a second. You said it yourself the car was out of control. If it is in front of me I am in control of the situation. If it is beside me I am just a passenger at that point.

Old April 27th, 2012, 07:07 AM   #27
robmilchling
ninjette.org guru

Name: Rob

Motorcycle(s): '09 Triumph Daytona 675

Guys, remember that we're looking at this from a controlled point of view, with a good vantage point of everything occurring, the rider wouldn't have really anytime to think about this(as the entire incident happened all within 3 sec), and so acted on what he likely thought was the best course of action based upon what he was seeing. I agree that the 2nd rider should've moved over towards the right more than just shifting his lane position over a bit, but no reason to call him an idiot for acting on his own instincts based on the information he had to work with. I wouldn't be surprised to see a rider lock his brakes up in a situation like this, making it much much worse.

We all have had to make split decisions, luckily for most of us our reactions and instincts have led us away from danger, the second rider was incredibly lucky to have missed the car swinging back out like that.
robmilchling is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 27th, 2012, 07:28 AM   #28
drac
ninjette.org member

Quote:
Originally Posted by robmilchling View Post
Guys, remember that we're looking at this from a controlled point of view, with a good vantage point of everything occurring, the rider wouldn't have really anytime to think about this(as the entire incident happened all within 3 sec), and so acted on what he likely thought was the best course of action based upon what he was seeing. I agree that the 2nd rider should've moved over towards the right more than just shifting his lane position over a bit, but no reason to call him an idiot for acting on his own instincts based on the information he had to work with. I wouldn't be surprised to see a rider lock his brakes up in a situation like this, making it much much worse.

We all have had to make split decisions, luckily for most of us our reactions and instincts have led us away from danger, the second rider was incredibly lucky to have missed the car swinging back out like that.

I agree that he had to make a split second decision. I was calling him an idiot in the same way I would do it to myself after an incident like this. I have had close calls and after replaying it in my head I have on more than one occasion said to myself..."John, you're an idiot. What I should have done is blah blah blah...."..........

Funny how the right move to make in a split second decision is easy when you watch it 5 times on utube...................

Old April 27th, 2012, 09:18 AM   #29
sombo

And I'm still saying drac that braking would put that level of control in the mercy of that car. At the speed, with the time he had, if he had braked hard like you suggest, the car would have had time to spin all the way back out and towards him blocking off the escape the right. I don't know if you noticed, but that car ended up spinning greater than 360 after contacting the wall. It was also moving towards the rider. These two combined would make it nearly impossible to avoid collision if you slowed down.

Think about this, ok you brake hard. Now the car is fully blocking your lane spinning directly at you still doing about 30mph with you probably still doing about 45-50mph at this point. At this point you absolutely have to cut to the right and cut hard. If you try that while still hard on the brakes you'll wind up in a low-side at best. Of course that is if you don't lock up the brakes from trying to apply too much brake in a vain attempt to stop before the car runs you over. If they lock up on you then you're still hitting that car.

In this case, keeping that car in front of you is going to get you hurt or killed. You want to get over to the right and get past it as quickly as possible. The more time you let that car stay in front of you, the more chance there is of you not being able to avoid it.

Old April 30th, 2012, 09:32 AM   #30
CZroe
CPT Falcon

Name: J.Emmett Turner

Motorcycle(s): '08 CP Blue EX250J, '97 unpainted EX250F, 2nd '97 unpainted EX250F (no engine), '07 black EX250F

I could swear that I'd seen this same video months ago.
CZroe is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 30th, 2012, 10:56 AM   #31
Alex
ninjette.org dude

Name: 1 guess :-)

Motorcycle(s): '13 Ninja 300 (white, the fastest color!), '13 R1200RT, '14 CRF250L, '12 TT-R125LE

I've seen it on another forum, not sure if was posted here. At least it hasn't been with the same video ID.

I hate to be that guy that says "that happened to me!" too often, but what happened in the video was pretty much spot-on with a near-miss for me a few years ago riding back from the Sunday morning ride.

I was in the left lane (lane 1) of 880 south, where it is 4 lanes wide just south of Oakland. A car merging from lane 4 to lane 3 sideswipes another car that is already in lane 3. The car slews right, the driver over corrects and starts heading left very quickly.

At the time I was moving a bit faster than both cars, so while I saw this happening, I was already almost even with them when I saw the first one start to lose control. I chose gas instead of brake, and the car passed behind me on its way to hitting the divider (and me hearing all of those exciting squealing sounds of all the traffic behind trying to stop right quick).

Braking isn't always the best choice, accelerating isn't always the best choice. Worst choice is hesitation and letting something just happen instead of at least actively attempting to avoid the worst outcome.

In the video above, I don't think the rider who had the closest call even noticed anything was going on until well afterwards. No swerve, no brake, no acceleration, just a constant path straight ahead at the same speed. Sometimes it's better to be lucky than good!

ninjette.org Terms of Service

Shopping for motorcycle parts or equipment? Come here first.

The friendliest Ninja 250R/300/400 forum on the internet! (especially Unregistered)
Alex is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 30th, 2012, 11:21 AM   #32
cbdallas
ninjette.org guru

Name: Charlie

Motorcycle(s): 2007 Ninja 650R

This is exactly what's wrong with most cage drivers. Their idea of the best way to handle an incursion is to slam the brakes and jerk the wheel. If they had simply braked hard, the ABS would've kept them straight and all that horror could've been avoided.
cbdallas is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 30th, 2012, 01:26 PM   #33
sombo

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbdallas View Post
This is exactly what's wrong with most cage drivers. Their idea of the best way to handle an incursion is to slam the brakes and jerk the wheel. If they had simply braked hard, the ABS would've kept them straight and all that horror could've been avoided.
If they had ABS. Most cars still don't have ABS these days but have much stronger brakes than they used to. So it's become increasingly easy to lock them up these days.

Old May 1st, 2012, 12:47 PM   #34
Jiggles
Jigglin' your Jiglets

MOTM - Apr '13
Quote:
If they had ABS. Most cars still don't have ABS these days but have much stronger brakes than they used to. So it's become increasingly easy to lock them up these days.
I have no data on this, but I feel like the vast majority of cars on the road have ABS
AFM #676

Old May 1st, 2012, 01:01 PM   #35
cbdallas
ninjette.org guru

Right now, base versions of some compacts come without it, but I can't think of a late-model American mid-size sedan like the one above that doesn't have it ABS. I believe the car in the video is a Malibu.

Next year, federal law will require all cars and light trucks to come with standard electronic stability control, which relies on an antilock braking system to apply the brakes at individual wheels to prevent skids. So all vehicles will be required to have ABS in 2012. So even an idiot in a Kia Rio won't have an excuse.

Old May 1st, 2012, 01:56 PM   #36
CZroe
CPT Falcon

Name: J.Emmett Turner

Motorcycle(s): '08 CP Blue EX250J, '97 unpainted EX250F, 2nd '97 unpainted EX250F (no engine), '07 black EX250F

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbdallas View Post
Right now, base versions of some compacts come without it, but I can't think of a late-model American mid-size sedan like the one above that doesn't have it ABS. I believe the car in the video is a Malibu.

Next year, federal law will require all cars and light trucks to come with standard electronic stability control, which relies on an antilock braking system to apply the brakes at individual wheels to prevent skids. So all vehicles will be required to have ABS in 2012. So even an idiot in a Kia Rio won't have an excuse.
Unfortunately, I've been in more ABS-equipped vehicles with the TPMS or ABS light on than not, so I have to wonder when they'll make a law requiring users to keep it maintained/functional.
CZroe is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 1st, 2012, 04:21 PM   #37
massacremasses
Avid Kitteh Poster

Name: Justin

Motorcycle(s): 2006 Yamaha TTR 50 SUCK IT

massacremasses is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 2nd, 2012, 07:44 AM   #38
cbdallas
ninjette.org guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by CZroe View Post
Unfortunately, I've been in more ABS-equipped vehicles with the TPMS or ABS light on than not, so I have to wonder when they'll make a law requiring users to keep it maintained/functional.
The law is already on the books, but only in states that require yearly inspections. You can't pass an inspection in Texas with any of those lights on. Unfortunately, not all states bother inspecting, and then there's the people who don't bother getting an inspection and somehow get away with it.