ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > General > General Motorcycling Discussion

Old July 30th, 2012, 05:07 PM   #1
CZroe
CPT Falcon

Name: J.Emmett Turner

Motorcycle(s): '08 CP Blue EX250J, '97 unpainted EX250F, 2nd '97 unpainted EX250F (no engine), '07 black EX250F

Anyone ever use generic motorcycle controls/switches?

My friend's Katana 600 has "sticky" left-hand controls and I bumped into these things while looking for a replacement:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Motorcycle-T...4aa623&vxp=mtr
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Universal-Mo...item3cc80f7494
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Motorcycle-L...e247a6&vxp=mtr

Until last week, I was in the market for LH-side EX250 controls, so I wish I had found that sooner. It looks like cheap stuff made for generic Chinese scooters and the like, but it looks like it could be made to work. The cheaper-looking left-only one seems like it may free up some room on the bars to mount more stuff but the toy-like appearance makes me wonder if it even has push-to-cancel. The left/right set looks much better but, even though his right-side controls have cosmetic damage (PO put holes through the kill switch for some reason), we're on a shoe-string budget. We could probably get used OEM controls for that much. Out of curiosity, I looked for a right-hand generic and could only find that L/R kit. The LH controls are more serious because he can't cancel the signal when turning left even when he forces the switch back to the center and pushes it. The only way to cancel left is to push right, let it recenter (it only sticks left), then push it to cancel, which sends all the wrong signals to the drivers around him and distracts him when he should be riding.

Does anyone has any experience with these or other generic controls? Are they typically weather resistant? Difficult or easy to push? Quirky to operate?
CZroe is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 30th, 2012, 05:13 PM   #2
CZroe
CPT Falcon

Motorcycle(s): '08 CP Blue EX250J, '97 unpainted EX250F, 2nd '97 unpainted EX250F (no engine), '07 black EX250F

I just looked again and I do see one problem with the cheaper one: No choke. He needs choke. One of the auction listings does claim that it's weather-proof. I recall that some bikes have the choke cable mounted such that you directly push/pull on a plug in the end. I wonder if we can convert to something like that for cheap.

Old July 30th, 2012, 05:13 PM   #3
lgk
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Jason

Motorcycle(s): 2012 EX250, 2014 EX300

did he try lubing the cables first?
a lot of times that all it takes
lgk is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 30th, 2012, 08:45 PM   #4
CZroe
CPT Falcon

Quote:
Originally Posted by lgk View Post
did he try lubing the cables first?
a lot of times that all it takes
I don't think that would help with the turn signal issue. The other "sticky" control is the hi/lo beam, which works fine except that the dash indicator doesn't light. Strangely, I saw it light once when messing with the turn signal even though the hi-beam was off, so it isn't that the dash indicator bulb is blown or anything.

Old July 30th, 2012, 08:53 PM   #5
Monkeytofu
I told you bro

Name: Noor

Motorcycle(s): 1996 Ninja 250r

Are stock ones even "weatherproof"? I don't ever recall seeing anything showing that it need sealing when I've opened up controls on other bikes. As long as your cables have all their protective skin/cover you wouldn't need to worry about weather ruining them. If you're friend is still worried he could use seal all on non moving parts.
Monkeytofu is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 31st, 2012, 08:42 PM   #6
lgk
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Jason

Motorcycle(s): 2012 EX250, 2014 EX300

Quote:
Originally Posted by CZroe View Post
I don't think that would help with the turn signal issue. The other "sticky" control is the hi/lo beam, which works fine except that the dash indicator doesn't light. Strangely, I saw it light once when messing with the turn signal even though the hi-beam was off, so it isn't that the dash indicator bulb is blown or anything.
lol, i was joking.

i think its either a corroded wire, or a loose connection for the dash indicator.
you'll have to test everything down to the relay.

i would go with the oem switch instead of scooter parts, the internals are rated for more usage.

i dont see any advantage unless your trying to get rid of the choke lever.
lgk is offline   Reply With Quote