ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > General > General Motorcycling Discussion

Old September 13th, 2015, 07:13 AM   #1
divil
ninjette.org member

Name: John

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Ninja 250R

lowering links effect on handling

I just got back from my first ever motorcycle ride on a public road. I bought this 250 a few days ago, and the previous owner had installed lowering links, which I'm replacing as soon as I can find a set of OEM links. But out of the road just now, I found the steering a bit strange. I wasn't sure what to expect, because the only other bike I've ever ridden was a small cruiser I used for the MSF course. But the Ninja doesn't feel as agile as I'd expected. The best way I can describe it is that the steering feels lazy. Could that be an effect of the lowering links that are on there?
divil is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 13th, 2015, 07:39 AM   #2
Ghostt
in your machine

Name: Scott

Motorcycle(s): 98 Ninja 250/F12 aka ZX-2R "SERENITY", 91 Ninja 500/A5 aka ZX-5R "Phoenix", 84 Honda GL1200A "SIREN"

MOTM - Jun '17, May '16, Mar '15
Yup, your right.

I know that for the PreGen models, if you raise the back it will increase the feel and make it turns in quicker.

As the Ninjette uses pretty much the same suspension setup as the EX500, there is a veteran racer over at EX-500.com, called FOG. He makes links to raise the rear and here is his explanation

Quote:
Just to re up this add. Yes I still make these.
as of 2/10/13 postal increase is reflected in posted price.

FOGBONES for 1st & 2nd gen bikes up or down. The uppers raise the rear 1 1/2 “. The downers are custom made to your requests. Same price 42.5 +shipping
See FOG # emartovich@centurytel.net
!st gen (1987-1993) is $72.5
2nd gen (1994- Present is $42.5
Please add $6 shipping costs to any US city or $15 to Canada
other countries call. ref: I've shipped to Europe for $13.
Paypal is best for me, the account # is emartovich@centurytel.net
Other methods : Your check or US money order is fine to:

email Fog For my personal Address

A set if installation instructions is packed in each shipment

I have been responding to inquires lately the ask "what Dog Bones do". So I thought this would be a Good place to put an explanation.

The bones replace a suspension link and raise the rear of the bike about 1 1/2" at the grab handle. Why? These parts change the angle of the Swing Arm to put it more in line with the torque reaction of the chain, this reduces lift under hard drives,also they reduce the fork rake Angle and shorten the trail. these two changes quicken the steering and cause the bike to turn with less counter steering input. Finally braking is much improved by the greater weight shift to the front wheel (which does 90% of the braking). Ground clearance is improved as well allowing increased lean angle. I have added a slight bulge in the center to accommodate the slightly larger springs from the after market.
I developed this product during my long and successful race career (I quit before I was crippled ....too much)
Installation is a simple bolt off/on process that uses only hand tools and a jack or center stand.
I keep 2nd gens in stock and make 1st gens up special to order.

FOG

I get emails inquiring if I still make these, I assure you I do, and I will remove this add the Minuit I don't.

Fog's machine shop service.

I have decided I have some spare time available.
I have a pretty good machine shop and all the tools required to rebuild EX engines,
I am offering this service to all.
I can do.
Complete head re building including replacing seats and cutting them correctly.
I can re hone bore or replace sleeves if required including oversize one if you like.
I can not alter or repair crankshafts, but I can re fit new bearings into you bottom ends (not as simple as it may seem.
I'm retired and can turn your job around quickly for you racers.
Refrences on request.
Email for a quote for you job.

FOG
I'm aware of a few links that raises the rear for the NewGen, I've seen them eBay.

ZX-2R BLOG
Twitter and Instagram = Ghostt_Scott
I'm not here to change your mind, just to inform.
Ghostt is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 13th, 2015, 09:01 AM   #3
Motofool
Daily Ninjette rider

Name: Hernan

Motorcycle(s): 2007 Ninja 250

MOTY - 2016, MOTM - Dec '12, Jan '14, Jan '15, May '16
Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by divil View Post
......... I wasn't sure what to expect, because the only other bike I've ever ridden was a small cruiser I used for the MSF course. But the Ninja doesn't feel as agile as I'd expected. The best way I can describe it is that the steering feels lazy. Could that be an effect of the lowering links that are on there?
All sport and standard motorcycles have an agile steering.
That means that the steering has relatively short trail and wheel-base.

Please see this link:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bicycl...cycle_geometry

If modifications to suspension make the angle of the steering head respect to a horizontal line decrease, the trail elongates and the weight of the bike has a bigger effect on forcing the front wheel to remain aligned with the rear one.
Then, the steering shows stronger opposition to enter a turn and tends to automatically return to its neutral position.

Bad bearings in the steering head and under-inflated front tire can produce similar resistance to steering inputs, but in both directions (away and toward its neutral position).
The feeling is more erratic and less self-centering.
Motofool is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 13th, 2015, 10:22 AM   #4
InvisiBill
EX500 full of EX250 parts

Name: Bill

Motorcycle(s): '18 Ninja 400 • '09 Ninja 500R (selling) • '98 VFR800 (project) • '85 Vulcan VN700 (sold)

MOTM - Aug '15
Here are some pics if you're more of a visual type.

On a standard/sport bike, the forks are closer to vertical. When you turn the bars, the wheel pretty much pivots on the center of its contact patch, with the front of the wheel pointing left or right. The wheel stays pretty much vertical, just pointed in a different direction.

On a cruiser/chopper, where the forks are at a much lower angle, turning the bars results in the top of the wheel flopping to the left or right. In this pic, look at how far leaned over the wheel is, rather than remaining upright and just pointing left or right.

Changing the height of the rear pivots the whole bike about the front axle. Lowering it decreases the angle of the forks, making it more chopper-like. Raising it makes the forks more vertical. With the forks at less of an angle, less of the motion from turning the bars goes toward pointing the wheel in a different direction, making it feel slower to turn. With the forks more vertical, more of the steering is going toward pointing the bike in a different direction, making it feel quicker to turn.

As Motofool said, there could be other issues too. Low tire pressure will cause extra friction. The steering head bearings have been known to go bad rather quickly (tapered roller bearings hold up much better than the stock ball bearings against abuse from the front wheel).

*** Unregistered, I'm not your mom and I'm not paying for your parts, so do whatever you want with your own bike. ***
InvisiBill is offline   Reply With Quote

2 out of 2 members found this post helpful.
Old September 13th, 2015, 11:26 AM   #5
snot
sammich maker

Name: snot

Motorcycle(s): 2013 white 300, 09 KLX 250 SF, 09 thunder blue 250(traded)

MOTM - Apr '15
Quote:
Originally Posted by divil View Post
I just got back from my first ever motorcycle ride on a public road. I bought this 250 a few days ago, and the previous owner had installed lowering links, which I'm replacing as soon as I can find a set of OEM links. But out of the road just now, I found the steering a bit strange. I wasn't sure what to expect, because the only other bike I've ever ridden was a small cruiser I used for the MSF course. But the Ninja doesn't feel as agile as I'd expected. The best way I can describe it is that the steering feels lazy. Could that be an effect of the lowering links that are on there?

some links have adjustments, if they are roaring Toyz you can raise it up now.

Old September 13th, 2015, 11:34 AM   #6
divil
ninjette.org member

Name: John

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Ninja 250R

Quote:
Originally Posted by snot View Post
some links have adjustments, if they are roaring Toyz you can raise it up now.
These ones don't unfortunately, they are Vortex links with just one setting. But it looks like another member here might be able to hook me up with the originals...
divil is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 14th, 2015, 11:27 AM   #7
maverick31210
Rides in shorts.

Name: Laurence

Motorcycle(s): 2004 250

You can find originals on Ebay pretty cheap.

Depending on your year. It looks like these are 88-2000 only. I though they were the same all the way to 07 but whatever, I'm sure you can find what you need.

These are like $15.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1988-2000-EX...6b6d53&vxp=mtr

While you're in there, pick up a new-gen shock too. I got mine for $40 shipped. Bolts right up with no mods and it will greatly improve your rider over the stocker.
maverick31210 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 14th, 2015, 11:31 AM   #8
Ghostt
in your machine

Motorcycle(s): 98 Ninja 250/F12 aka ZX-2R "SERENITY", 91 Ninja 500/A5 aka ZX-5R "Phoenix", 84 Honda GL1200A "SIREN"

Quote:
Originally Posted by maverick31210 View Post
You can find originals on Ebay pretty cheap.

Depending on your year. It looks like these are 88-2000 only. I though they were the same all the way to 07 but whatever, I'm sure you can find what you need.

These are like $15.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1988-2000-EX...6b6d53&vxp=mtr

While you're in there, pick up a new-gen shock too. I got mine for $40 shipped. Bolts right up with no mods and it will greatly improve your rider over the stocker.
He has 09, so he already has the NewGen Ninjette.

He also needs to edit his profile to show this.

ZX-2R BLOG

Old September 14th, 2015, 11:34 AM   #9
maverick31210
Rides in shorts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghostt View Post
He has 09, so he already has the NewGen Ninjette.

He also needs to edit his profile to show this.
NVM then...LOL.

Old September 14th, 2015, 11:56 AM   #10
Ghostt
in your machine

Quote:
Originally Posted by maverick31210 View Post
NVM then...LOL.
No worries, it was good advice, odds were in your favor.

ZX-2R BLOG

Old September 14th, 2015, 11:58 AM   #11
maverick31210
Rides in shorts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghostt View Post
No worries, it was good advice, odds were in your favor.