ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > General > General Motorcycling Discussion

Old October 4th, 2010, 10:25 AM   #1
Yasko
Texas Newbie

Name: John

Motorcycle(s): 07 Ninja EX250, 07 FZ6

What would you do today if you were looking for your first bike?

Knowing what you know, what would you do different in the getting your first bike experience.
I don't have a bike yet, and I hope to learn from others in the steps they took in getting the first bike. Did you get your bike before you took the MSF? What time of year did you get your bike? Was it to cold, or hot to enjoy? Did you buy your gear first? Did you get the best gear, or any gear? Did you wait for the best used bike to come along, or did you take the first thing close? Did you pay cash? Could you have gotten a better deal? What kind of insurance did you get? Was it enough, or too much? Would you even get a bike? Can you be Safe??????? I'm still a little (a lot) afraid.
What would you do if you were to start today?
So far I have a new Shoei RF 1000($179.00), and Speed and Strength textile jacket($49.00). I'm trying not to take the MSF class till the end of the year. I would like the class to be fresh in my head when I get the bike. I'll be ready at the end of the year. (If I don't chicken out)
Yasko is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 4th, 2010, 10:33 AM   #2
kkim

take the MSF course and see if you like riding. If you do, start looking for a bike.

nothing to be afraid of... the MSF course is designed to help people get into the sport of motorcycle riding, not discourage them.

gl
kkim is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 4th, 2010, 11:00 AM   #3
Boosted139
ninjette.org guru

Name: Justin

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Ninja 250R SE, 2009 Triumph Daytona 675

Well here's how i went about things since I just went through the whole process of getting my license and buying my ninjette in the past month.

**Skip to bottom if you just want to get to the point haha

I had been cruising CL looking for ninjettes just thinking about the idea of getting licensed and buying one. Found a couple in my local area, but didn't act on it because well I didn't have a license yet and for all i knew, I might not like riding. I ended up joining this forums and found a member selling an almost new ninjette. That very next weekend, I went and got my permit Saturday morning and went to buy the bike from that member later that afternoon/evening.

Got her home and then signed up for MSF class in 2 weekends from then. Also ordered a jacket (probably the same Speed and Strength textile jacket you got, what a great deal!). My dad had a bunch of old gear that I could use in the meantime (which was really old and I wouldnt recommend ever using such old gear for anything more than going around the block, which was all I did for the time. By old I mean stuff he wore back in the day haha).

I got my jacket the following week and patiently waited for my MSF. The friday night class was alright, some good information for new riders, but I'll be honest for the most part I thought it was common sense. Saturday was way more fun, actually got to ride the bikes. I was hooked, instantly. To tell you how hooked I was, after class that Saturday I immediately went to a local bike shop and bought a new helmet and the rest of my gear. Sunday again was more riding and then the 'test'. Easy enough.

** Summary starts here

Anyway moral of the story, take the MSF, it will teach you all the basics and get you comfortable riding. Personally, I was comfortable off the bat, but some of the others in my class weren't, but by the end of the weekend they were very confident. The class is great and I can't recommend it enough, the instructors were very helpful and never discouraged you from riding.

As far as my bike, I am happy with my purchase. It was a near new 09 ninjette with ~400 miles with a few modifications. It has shogun sliders, roaring toyz lowering kit (im short haha) and mirror extenders. All stuff I would have most likely bought on my own anyway. While I could have gotten a pre-gen for much less or a higher mileage new-gen, I am happy with the bike. Plus it was really great buying from a forum member, she was great and gave a lot of helpful advice for a new rider such as myself.

The only thing I would change if I had to do it again, would to put off the purchase of the bike until AFTER I took the MSF course. Luckily it worked out for me, but if I came out of the MSF not wanting to ride for some reason, I would own a bike I no longer want.

If you have any questions Yasko feel free to ask me as the whole MSF stuff is all fresh in my head and what not. Hope I helped!
Boosted139 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 4th, 2010, 11:08 AM   #4
Xerxi
ninjette.org member

Name: Xerxi

Motorcycle(s): Red 2009 ninja 250

I took the MSF course for fun, bought a helmet. Then randomly stopped by a motorcycle dealership and bought a new 2009 ninja 250 at the beginning of summer. Bought top-of-the-line gear, and lightly modded my bike. I got the 0% apr for 6 months, and paid it off in this time. Full insurance coverage, which i used when i lowsided my bike when i was not paying attention on the twisties. Now i sold my 250, and got a used 2009 zx6r, which is more then enough for me and I am planning on staying with this bike indefinitely.

Looking back, I am glad to get a bike, like Kkim said, first thing is to take the MSF course before making any big decisions.

If you plan to get a bike after MSF, i would tell you to get a used ninja 250. not new, because of: money saved, easier learning, cheaper insurance, no breaking period, great resell value, save trouble of modding your bike. learn to ride properly and get use to the new life style, then if wanted, upgrade to a bigger bike. Also, i would recommend getting used gear.

I looked at craigslist every day for motorcycles. it helps you get an idea on the market value of of bikes and what kind of mods are available and you get to see pictures of many pretty bikes =)

let me know if you want any more of my opinion
Xerxi is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 4th, 2010, 11:10 AM   #5
scotty
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Scott

Motorcycle(s): Yahama v star 650 classic

I bought my1st bike in May of this year. It was still cold in the mornings, but warm in the afternoons. I was looking for a used bike becuase they were cheaper than new ones. Well I was looking at mid 2000 Ducati 996, of course the wife said hell no. The sales man thatwas working with me and my wife pointed out the Ninja 250R's, and being new was cheaper than most other used bikes on the sales floor. Long story short, I got the 250, and i'm glad I did!

I've been peicing together all my gear thoughout this summer. My father in law gave me his old helmet when I got the bike so I could ride. I have two helmets that I bought and a nice armer jacket. I never took the MSF course. I just did the drive test. Insurance wise, I carry full cov. and I pay $18 a month though State Farm. (23y/o and 0 points)

Look for a bike that is rite for you. Do your research, find out how much insurance will cost before hand. Take your time, and just think it out. You will be fine =)
scotty is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 4th, 2010, 11:15 AM   #6
GeneJunkie
ninjette.org sage

Name: Cindy

Motorcycle(s): 2010 Ninja 250R

Sorry about the wall of text but you had a bunch of questions so I figured I would share my experience.

For me it first started off being a little lonely/sad that my fiance Ryan would go off to bike nights, out for a ride, etc without me. He doesn't get much time off and it's even rarer for both of us to have a day off together, so I would get upset when he would go for a ride when both of us were off. I told him that and we slowly started acquiring gear for me so I could ride behind him. I ended up getting a perforated leather jacket from Icon on closeout, a pair of Sidi boots on close out, pair of Cortech gloves and a 707 helmet from Cycle Gear. All was inexpensive only because I shopped around and looked around for "good" gear for a low price.

I quickly got tired of riding behind him and really wanted to ride on my own, so Ryan enrolled me in a MSF course in April. Before that we had looked around at different "beginner" motorcycles. I liked the 250 and Yamaha Fz6R because I could stand flat footed. I ended up really enjoying the MSF course. We called insurance asking about rates, and the 250 was the best so we went with that. I did do a ton of hunting on craigslist for a used new-gen but they were asking for about $500 less than a new bike and all had defects in one way or another (ie been dropped), so I opted for new. I ended up getting the best price possible on a new bike because Ryan works for a motorcycle dealership. I put down about half, got 4.2% financing and wouldn't have done anything differently.

When I first had the bike, I refused to ride on the street so Ryan would ride the bike to a large parking lot with me following him in the car. I then rode around practicing everything I learned in the MSF course. I pretty much said, if I can start and stop without stalling, make turns smoothly and shift confidently, I'll ride on the road. It took a couple weeks, then I started riding with Ryan following me so if I had an issue he was right there. Now my bike is my daily mode of transportation, I just started freeway riding on my own... actually yesterday... so 6 months after the MSF course.

I've always taken to heart what they taught in the course, never ride beyond your riding skill. Take the course, if you like it move forward with buying a bike, if you don't let it be.
GeneJunkie is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 4th, 2010, 11:29 AM   #7
Cuongism

Name: Cuong

Motorcycle(s): 2008 Ninja 250r, 2007 Daytona 675

Welcome John!
MSF is a great start. I probably have that same jacket too! Definitely a great deal and it seems like you got a great deal on the helmet as well. Normally, I would recommend getting gear after the MSF. You may find that you actually don't like riding (impossible!) or the gear you have doesn't match the bike you get. I'm superficial that way, but you may not be

You're doing the right thing by trying to learn as much as you can before stepping in. Dallas is HOT so learning in winter may not be a bad idea.

For first bikes, I believe newly used is the way to go. You'll avoid the dealer/freight/setup fees that somehow add another $1k onto new bikes, but also you won't feel as bad if you drop the bike (which most new riders do). Generally bikes are also cheaper in winter since riding season is over (maybe not in Dallas).

For buying, cash in hand will generally be cheaper than financing, and you'll have more "haggle" power. You probably won't be able to buy from a private seller without cash in hand either. Also, don't rush, but don't wait too long if you see a great deal. This is your first bike so it'll be your learning bike. Most people will own more than one bike in their lifetime. Ninjettes generally can be bought cheap, but they also retain their resale value really well since they're in high demand.

Good luck and keep us updated
Cuongism is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 4th, 2010, 11:43 AM   #8
Blackwidow

Name: Paulette

Did you get your bike before you took the MSF?
- NO! I took the MSF course first to make sure I like being on a bike before investing even a penny on a bike.

What time of year did you get your bike?
- Just got in in August. got a good deal on a brand new bike so I took it.

Was it to cold, or hot to enjoy?
- It was august...so it was pretty flipping hot

Did you buy your gear first?
- I had a helmet that I used when I rode on the back of my BF's bike, but I bought the jacket and the gloves and the boots the same time i got the bike. They gave me 10% off on the jacket and gloves and I negotiated the boots into the bike deal.

Did you get the best gear, or any gear?
- I got the gear I wanted. I did do my research and asked for advice from my fellow ninjette.org members, but at the end of the day, it was my decision.

Did you wait for the best used bike to come along, or did you take the first thing close?
- I was thinking about getting a used bike, but i ended up buying a new one cuz of the deal i got.

Did you pay cash?
- Financed it.

Could you have gotten a better deal?
- I don't know...maybe. but i don't want to think about that. I got what I wanted and the price that was conveinant for me, and thats all that matters.

What kind of insurance did you get?
- FULL COVERAGE

Was it enough, or too much?
- i think its enough, i'm a new rider and want to make sure my a$$ is totally covered just in case.

Would you even get a bike?
- i already did, and have ZERO regrets

Can you be Safe??????? I'm still a little (a lot) afraid.
- Fear is half the fun...its the challenges in life that make us stronger. Take it easy and apply everything you learn in the MSF class and you'll be great!

What would you do if you were to start today?
- Exactly what i did to get to this point. but maybe really buy a used bike only cuz the break in period for a new bike totally sucks balls!

So far I have a new Shoei RF 1000($179.00), and Speed and Strength textile jacket($49.00). I'm trying not to take the MSF class till the end of the year. I would like the class to be fresh in my head when I get the bike. I'll be ready at the end of the year. (If I don't chicken out)

- hey, its a start. good luck with your adventure. i'm sure you'll love it as much as i did. And an added FYI- prior to me taking the class, i had never driven a manual car or even sat on a bike (except on the back). So if I can do it, so can you!

Old October 4th, 2010, 11:58 AM   #9
Flashmonkey
Professional belly dancer

Name: James

Motorcycle(s): 1992 GSX-R 750

LOL I'm actually pretty damn happy with how I approached this whole motorcycle thing. The only thing I'd change is probably buying a cheaper bike, but part of the reason that I bought the bike that I did was because the seller was close to my house and was willing to deliver!

I bought my bike AND my helmet before I took my riding class. It was actually several months before my riding class, and before I had even signed up for it. I kind of always knew that I would like riding, but in the off chance that I didn't like it at all, I could either give the bike to my cousin (who took the course with me) or sell it off fairly easily. My helmet was also pretty damn cheap. Shark RSX, and in typical Shark fashion, it was priced WAYYY low considering how good a helmet it is. Google is your friend!
Flashmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 4th, 2010, 02:08 PM   #10
Yasko
Texas Newbie

Thanks. This is the type of info I'm looking for. The more the better. I read a few stories about fall that had me afraid.

When I see or hear a bike drive past, I get a funny sensation, like when your new girlfriend walks into the room. I think I'm in love.

Old October 4th, 2010, 02:16 PM   #11
kkim

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yasko View Post
When I see or hear a bike drive past, I get a funny sensation, like when your new girlfriend walks into the room. I think I'm in love.
yes, but like that new girlfriend you need to ride it first to make sure, don't you?
kkim is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 4th, 2010, 02:18 PM   #12
Blackwidow

Name: Paulette

well, have you heard stories about people crashing their cars? i'm sure that scared you but you still drive, don't you? you can't think of the negatives. you'll just freak yourself out. think positive and really pay attention in class and PRACTICE PRACTICE PRACTICE.

Old October 4th, 2010, 04:59 PM   #13
TrueFader
ninjette.org member

Name: Chris

Motorcycle(s): '08 250

my buddy bought a 2007 honda 600rr and opened my eyes to the fact that i could get my own bike too. got gear, took msf, got permit and license. shopped around and bought a new 2007 gsx-r. if i had to do it again i wouldnt have bought a new supersport bike. ya i can handle the speed, but you cant push the bike's limits on the street. 250 more fun for street, i would only take a bigger bike to the track, which is exactly what my buddy and his brother ended up doing with their bikes. now they both want a smaller bike for street like a 250 or drz
TrueFader is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 4th, 2010, 06:44 PM   #14
Flashmonkey
Professional belly dancer

Name: James

Motorcycle(s): 1992 GSX-R 750

Quote:
Originally Posted by kkim View Post
yes, but like that new girlfriend you need to ride it first to make sure, don't you?
You also gotta make sure that said girlfriend doesn't cost you a freakin' arm and a leg to maintain.

Pfftt...women
Flashmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 4th, 2010, 09:03 PM   #15
Havok
Internet Slut

Name: Jeff

Motorcycle(s): 04 FZ1, 07 FZ6

I left work one day and went to the dealership and financed an 09 250. I had been looking off and on for over 15 years. Did hard research for the past 6 months Nd then just one day pulled the trigger.

I have full coverage for insurance.

I got a helm and ordered a less expensive jacket and gloves to get me started. I then did all the research in gear, good and bad and tried to understand the difference between all of it. Took about a month but I now am high up the chain for my gear quality.

I have not taken the msf yet due to lack of time with moving and selling my house.

I love my bike and would not change anything about it or how I went about it.

I have no fear on the bike, I am concerned when I ride, I am mindful when I ride, I am careful when I ride I am never fearful when I ride. When I take a corned i expect my tires to hold, if I go in hot and have to lean more or counter steer more I expect the bike to hold. I think there has to be a little bit of fear on a bike but if every time you are on it you are afraid then I would skip getting one.
Havok is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 5th, 2010, 06:11 AM   #16
KURT
Resident Old Guy

Name: Kurt

Motorcycle(s): sold

Quote:
Originally Posted by kkim View Post
take the MSF course and see if you like riding. If you do, start looking for a bike.

l
Taking the MSF course, to see if you like riding... is like losing your virginity, to see if you like sex.
KURT is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 5th, 2010, 07:03 AM   #17
Yasko
Texas Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackwidow View Post
well, have you heard stories about people crashing their cars? i'm sure that scared you but you still drive, don't you? you can't think of the negatives. you'll just freak yourself out. think positive and really pay attention in class and PRACTICE PRACTICE PRACTICE.
Thanks Blackwidow. I think you're right. I let the stories get to me. I'm trying to enjoy life, and I think small risk is part of life.

Funny, great advice on fear from someone named Blackwidow.

Thanks again. What a great site.

Old October 5th, 2010, 09:05 AM   #18
Apex
Livin' the Minimoto Life

Name: Mark

Motorcycle(s): 2022 Honda Navi, 2018 Z-125 Pro

If I could have a do-over on my first purchase, it would be:

1. Do not finance if you can.
They drag you across the hot coals on this one if you don't pay attention. I was so focused on getting the bike, I overlooked that it was at a 19% interest rate. Still doable payments for me at the time, only $120/mo.

2. Looked at cheaper bikes.
Sure the Suzuki GS500 was $4500 at the time...which was pretty cheap, but I could have spent less. They did give me a discount being a model left over from over a year and half before that (early '97 model purchased in late '98).

3. MSF course.
Illinois did require me to do a rider proficiency test. Not just a written test, but also a performance based test. Many of the moves learned in an MSF course was mandatory for the ride portion. I passed that just fine, but could have used the additional knowledge that is provided in the basic MSF course.

4. Try to do more maintenance myself.
I spent a lot of $$$ taking it to the dealer for every little thing.

5. Kept it.
I totally wish I kept the bike and didn't sell it. It was a great ride. I've been looking for one to fix up and ride, but they are so hard to find these days. I want one that requires a little work so I can tinker with it. I found one for $1800 with 23xx miles, but I know I couldn't talk my wife into it. Would be nice to have the little 250 and a 500. I wouldn't mind a new TU250 either, those are pretty nice (or a RE bullet 500)

2022 Honda Navi && 2018 Z-125 Pro
Apex is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 5th, 2010, 10:58 AM   #19
backinthesaddleagain

Name: Greg

Motorcycle(s): 2013 ZX6R 636

Quote:
Originally Posted by KURT View Post
Taking the MSF course, to see if you like riding... is like losing your virginity, to see if you like sex.
lol@that analogy, couple replies to this but I think I will keep them to myself.
backinthesaddleagain is offline   Reply With Quote