ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > 2008 - 2012 Ninja 250R > 2008 - 2012 Ninja 250R Tech Talk

Old August 28th, 2012, 09:00 AM   #1
rojoracing53
Fast-Guy wannabe

Name: Jason

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Ninja250, 2011 RM-Z250, 2004 NSR50,

MOTM - Jan '13
Motion Pro quick turn throttle

Alright there is always a question of how to modify or replace our throttle to make it quicker to turn. The zip tie mod is a great idea and helps but is far from what we use on the 600-1000cc race bikes. If the throttle housing was larger then we could add more then on zip tie or even somthing thicker but there just no room. I've contacted Motion Pro and they've agreed to measure and design a kit just for our bikes if I can let them have mine for a day. Tomorrow I'll be dropping off my bike and should have it back by Thursday with the new equipment. I know for most who haven't ever had a true quick turn throttle the zip tie mod is fine and infinitely cheaper, but for those of you that are interested how about about I ask them if they'd be interested in a group buy for their newly listed part. I would imagine we'd be looking at around $150 for the new throttle and housing with interchangeable cams(slow or faster throttle movement) with new motion pro cables. The price is a guess on my part so it could be cheaper or a little more, or they might not be interested. The more people I have that are willing to commit the stronger my argument will be.

http://www.motionpro.com/motorcycle/...throttle_kits/
rojoracing53 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 28th, 2012, 09:18 AM   #2
jp129
ninjette.org member

Name: Johnny

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Ninja 250R

I'd be interested, depending on price. Kyle racing has an aluminum throttle tube with a larger cam design, although probably not as aggressive as MP largest cam profile, for roughly $100.00.
jp129 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 28th, 2012, 09:22 AM   #3
alex.s
wat

Name: wat

Motorcycle(s): wat

MOTM - Oct '12, Feb '14
the cyclepirates quick turn throttle kit for the ninja is pretty good. cheap, works well, doesnt break. i still run stock throttle tube but most of the 250 racers seem to have cyclepirates. be interesting to see which is better, mopro or CP

Old August 28th, 2012, 09:23 AM   #4
jp129
ninjette.org member

I completely forgot about cycle pirates, good call!

Old August 28th, 2012, 10:36 AM   #5
rojoracing53
Fast-Guy wannabe

MOTM - Jan '13
I knew about cycle pirates throttle but I don't know, there info on its specs are a bit lacking and I believe the MP kit has a larger range of cams. Plus Motion Pro has been supporting racers and my self for longer then I've been racing so I figure they deserve a shot, hell everything else I have Motion Pro works so why not.

If the Kyle tube uses the stock throttle housing then it not enough of a change because when limiting us is out housing is to small for a sufficiently larger cam. Plus aluminum throttle just seem to cause problems and are never completely thought out for the final fit.

Old August 28th, 2012, 10:46 AM   #6
alex.s
wat

MOTM - Oct '12, Feb '14
shane and kit liberty (@cynicalkit) know a lot about the cyclepirates kit

Old August 29th, 2012, 09:07 AM   #7
cynicalkit
la pussy gata

Name: kit

Motorcycle(s): big wheel

The standard kit comes with 40-42-44mm cams which you can switch between. We made a short production of larger cams for the ADR race team but it is exclusively used on the AMA bikes currently. A good thing about our kits is that we sell additional throttle tubes separately. Also, it comes with additional cables so should anything happen to them you can still put your stock ones back on, or get additional cables later on. A few of the CVMA 250 racers are using the CP throttle since NKB Motorcycles is sponsoring the CVMA 250 class and offering them up at a larger discount.
cynicalkit is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 29th, 2012, 09:09 AM   #8
cynicalkit
la pussy gata

Here's my old thread if it helps
http://www.ninjette.org/forums/showt...=cycle+pirates

Old August 29th, 2012, 09:15 AM   #9
jp129
ninjette.org member

Just checked cycle pirates website. The throttle kits run 199.99, ouch...

Old August 29th, 2012, 09:23 AM   #10
cynicalkit
la pussy gata

You should call NKB Motorcycles and double check that since they are usually running a special price on CP Throttles. Tell them Kit said I can order the Cycle Pirates throttle here

Old August 29th, 2012, 10:21 AM   #11
Nemesis
CVMA #74 WSMC #750

Name: Nemesis

Motorcycle(s): All of them

I run them and luv 'em. Convinced a few others to give them a try. A recent front runner I believe placed his order in too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cynicalkit View Post
since NKB Motorcycles is sponsoring the CVMA 250 class and offering them up at a larger discount.
When will this take effective? September's round?

Old August 29th, 2012, 10:26 AM   #12
cynicalkit
la pussy gata

It should be effective this season. I'm pretty sure any CVMA 250 racers gets the racer discount now on the CP throttles.

Old August 29th, 2012, 10:49 AM   #13
rojoracing53
Fast-Guy wannabe

MOTM - Jan '13
Just dropped the bike off at MP, guy named Larry is taking care of it. Very cool people in their shop not stuck up and stiff at all, they let me just walk right through the warehouse calk full of parts. It's like a candy store for motorcyclists

I'll let you know what I think of the final product when I get it back later today.

Old August 29th, 2012, 02:23 PM   #14
choneofakind
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: .

Motorcycle(s): .

MOTM - Feb '13, Feb '14
Quote:
Originally Posted by rojoracing53 View Post
It's like a candy store for motorcyclists
I bet! Neat opportunity for you!
choneofakind is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 31st, 2012, 04:59 PM   #15
rojoracing53
Fast-Guy wannabe

MOTM - Jan '13
Alright so here's a little DIY on the New Motion Pro Vortex Throttle for the 2008+ Ninja 250R. 4 hours after I dropped the bike off with Larry of Motion Pro I got the call that it's all done. Upon arriving Larry explained the features of the system as well as the process of wiring up my new starter button. We also discussed the possibility for more routing options with my soon to be installed Clip-ons so he was generous enough to cut me a complete second set of cables 3 inches long for further testing at my leisure.

First you have the different sized Cams that are interchangeable. Blue=40mm which nearly the same as my stock throttle with the zip tie mod, Red=45mm(using currently), and yellow=50mm. There was also a black that I forgot about that is 35mm which is slightly smaller then stock so it kind of useless.

Here is the interlocking system for the tube and cams

Since our stock throttle housing contains our Kill/Run/Starter switches we need to replace those with the Motion Pro Right-Hand Handlebar Switch - Start/Stop http://www.motionpro.com/motorcycle/partno/11-0057/

Here are the contents of the packaging left is the supplied Open Barrel crimp connectors with heat shrink tubes, and right is the switch assembly with pre-wired Yamaha R-1 Quick connect.

Start by cutting off the Pre-Wired connector, then strip about 6mm of housing off each wire. Now slide on the "LONGER" of the supplied heat srinck tubes on to each colored wire.

Now crimp the "Female" Open Barrel pins onto each of the colored wires. First crimp the inner tab onto the stripped copper wire.

Then crimp the outer tab onto the tip of the housing

Now slide the shrink tube housing over the pin but don't heat it.

Now take your stock throttle tube housing off and label the wires. Red & Yellow= Run/Kill, Black & Red=Starter button, and the all black are your front brake sensor. Your can look in the service book for positive and negative(I didn't) but a switch only has to open and close a circuit so polarity doesn't matter.

Next connect the labeled stock connector to the bikes wiring harness and follow the pins across and label the wiring harness wires.

After the wires are labeled cut of the connector, strip the wires, slide the "SHORT" heat shrink tubes on, and crimp the male open barrel pins on the same way you did the female pins.

After all the pin connector are assembled go ahead and connect everything then place the throttle tube in it's desired position. After the throttle is in place you should have just enough room to place the switch between the throttle and master cylinder. The switch has a position tab so you can ether choose to mark it and drill the handle bar tube for a secure placement or simply file away the plastic tab on the switch to make it fully adjustable. Here are a few picture of the final product to give you an idea of the positioning everything.

Here is a short video to show it in action

Link to original page on YouTube.

Let me know if there's anything I missed and I can try to add it here. I ridden the bike 2 days since and everything is working great and I can't wait to get it out to the track

Old August 31st, 2012, 05:49 PM   #16
alex.s
wat

MOTM - Oct '12, Feb '14
how much did the mopro throttle kit cost (not including the switches)

Old August 31st, 2012, 11:27 PM   #17
jp129
ninjette.org member

Interested in the pricing as well.

Old September 1st, 2012, 03:59 AM   #18
tooblekain
ninjette.org sage

Name: Matt

Motorcycle(s): 2007 Triumph Bonneville; 2008 Ninja 250r (trackbike)

Price for one of these!!!
*CVMA #312*SoCal Trackdays*BigHeadz Racing*Motion Pro*Factory Effex*Leatt Brace* Racetech *Bell * Woodcraft CFM*Vortex*Hotbodies*Surface Sun Systems*Braking*LiveWire Energy*Freegun Underwear
tooblekain is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 1st, 2012, 06:42 AM   #19
rojoracing53
Fast-Guy wannabe

MOTM - Jan '13
Well you guy aren't going to like hearing this but because I was the first one to pitch the idea to Motion Pro they hooked me up with everything for free,I think my previous sponsored status didn't hurt ether. If you look on the motion pro site under vortex throttle kits the prices are all about the same so I would imagine this one would be as well. I doubt the kit is avalible just yet, Larry made it sound like he wanted some finally feedback after I got it all done with stock and race clipons. I've never done a group buy so if anyone on here has what's a good % off for me to ask for. I would imagine we'd need at least 10 people minimum for them to bite, how many off you guys would be interested. I get my clipons on the 6th thursday so I'll take more pictures and call Larry back with the final word. If we get some interest buy then I'll ask for the group buy options.

Old September 1st, 2012, 06:43 AM   #20
jp129
ninjette.org member

I'd certainly be interested depending on the final price.

Old October 1st, 2012, 05:53 AM   #21
Boosted139
ninjette.org guru

Name: Justin

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Ninja 250R SE, 2009 Triumph Daytona 675

Any updates on this? Would be definitely be interested in group buy or just buying one
Boosted139 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 1st, 2012, 06:44 AM   #22
sharky nrk
Fighting Texas Aggie '05

Name: Neil

Motorcycle(s): '07 ZX6R, '08 Versys, '09 250R Track, '93 F2/F3 Track

That looks really great, look forward to seeing this make full production.
sharky nrk is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 1st, 2012, 07:23 AM   #23
Nemesis
CVMA #74 WSMC #750

Name: Nemesis

Motorcycle(s): All of them

Dang, great job Jason. Great write up too. *two thumbs up*

Old October 8th, 2012, 07:55 PM   #24
JBinSD
ninjette.org guru

Name: Joel

Motorcycle(s): '13 Ninja 300, '99 SV650 tracked

So is this dying on the vine, or still trying for a GB? I'd like one for my 300, I think its the same as the two-fiddy. . . OP got his already, so do we need a follow up on this?
JBinSD is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 8th, 2012, 08:45 PM   #25
rojoracing53
Fast-Guy wannabe

MOTM - Jan '13
Sorry I've just been a bit lazy the last couple weeks. I did test the throttle at the races with CVMA and it work perfectly. I was originally going to wait till I got some clipons to test the fit of those as well, but I could never get a set of clipons to work the way I thought they should so I've opted to keep stock bars. I haven't gone back on the motion pro site to see if they've added the part # so I'm not sure where they land on that. I don't think there's quite enough interest for a group buy from the number of response I've seen here but at least ill try a find a part # for you guys to reference.

Old October 9th, 2012, 10:07 AM   #26
htdub
ninjette.org member

Name: Hien

Motorcycle(s): triumph

I would totally interested, my ziptie mod is "ok" only.
htdub is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 9th, 2012, 10:18 AM   #27
Surferboy120
Finding some curves....

Name: Thomas

Motorcycle(s): 2013 300 Ninja

I would like this for my 300 as well.
Surferboy120 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old December 27th, 2012, 02:36 PM   #28
tooblekain
ninjette.org sage

Name: Matt

Motorcycle(s): 2007 Triumph Bonneville; 2008 Ninja 250r (trackbike)

Would you need different cables if running clip-ons with a little bit of a drop from stock? Im highly interested in getting this. My only concern is my starter switch is wired differently since the previous owner deleted the ignition lock.
*CVMA #312*SoCal Trackdays*BigHeadz Racing*Motion Pro*Factory Effex*Leatt Brace* Racetech *Bell * Woodcraft CFM*Vortex*Hotbodies*Surface Sun Systems*Braking*LiveWire Energy*Freegun Underwear
tooblekain is offline   Reply With Quote

Old December 27th, 2012, 03:17 PM   #29
JBinSD
ninjette.org guru

Name: Joel

Motorcycle(s): '13 Ninja 300, '99 SV650 tracked

I called and talked to someone @ MP re availability for 300, we already know they have the same controls, but he said they weren't ready for the 300 yet, check back in a few months. . . I'm pretty sure the 250 kit should work exactly the same, but haven't pulled the trigger yet. If anyone's still trying to drum up a GB I'm in too.
JBinSD is offline   Reply With Quote

Old December 27th, 2012, 05:10 PM   #30
lgk

Motorcycle(s): 2012 EX250, 2014 EX300

@rojoracing53

what diameter wheel are you using for the throttle?

Old December 27th, 2012, 06:35 PM   #31
rojoracing53
Fast-Guy wannabe

MOTM - Jan '13
Quote:
Originally Posted by tooblekain View Post
Would you need different cables if running clip-ons with a little bit of a drop from stock? Im highly interested in getting this. My only concern is my starter switch is wired differently since the previous owner deleted the ignition lock.
When Larry from MP gave me my bike back He included a second set of cables 3" longer in case they were needed for clipons. You aren't going to get two sets of cables like I did when you buy the kit, that was only for testing and unfortunately I still haven't got my clipons yet to check it.

I'm currently using the 45mm cam but I've been meaning to switch over to the 50mm. For some reason my throttle has always been harder to turn then any other 250 I've tried. There's no sticking or anything, it's just harder to turn like my carb springs have been swapped to something stiffer.

Old December 27th, 2012, 06:40 PM   #32
rojoracing53
Fast-Guy wannabe

MOTM - Jan '13
I flipped the throttle over when I changed Master cylinders and I like it facing up more with logo be visible, still using the short cables.

Old December 27th, 2012, 06:41 PM   #33
rojoracing53
Fast-Guy wannabe

MOTM - Jan '13
Does the 300 and 250 have the same part # for throttle cables?

Old December 27th, 2012, 08:11 PM   #34
lgk

Quote:
I'm currently using the 45mm cam but I've been meaning to switch over to the 50mm. For some reason my throttle has always been harder to turn then any other 250 I've tried. There's no sticking or anything, it's just harder to turn like my carb springs have been swapped to something stiffer.
It might be a even harder with the 50mm cam.
Have never done it yet but you could unwind one coil, without disturbing anything else.

Old December 27th, 2012, 08:18 PM   #35
rojoracing53
Fast-Guy wannabe

MOTM - Jan '13
Quote:
Originally Posted by lgk View Post
It might be a even harder with the 50mm cam.
Have never done it yet but you could unwind one coil, without disturbing anything else.
Yeah the larger cam you choose the less leverage you have so it will be harder to twist the throttle tube but mine was quite hard with the stock housing and cables. I originally thought it was my stock cables but its the same with the MP cables.

I've thought of modding the carbs spring to make them lighter but I can't see why I would need to do this. Maybe after getting through the half dozen or so other mods I have in progress ill get back to this.

Old December 27th, 2012, 08:25 PM   #36
krolinked
Nerd

Name: Chris

Motorcycle(s): Ducati Hyperstrada

Quote:
Yeah the larger cam you choose the less leverage you have so it will be harder to twist the throttle tube but mine was quite hard with the stock housing and cables. I originally thought it was my stock cables but its the same with the MP cables.

I've thought of modding the carbs spring to make them lighter but I can't see why I would need to do this. Maybe after getting through the half dozen or so other mods I have in progress ill get back to this.
I would be happy to trade you, I'm actually wanting to make them stiffer on my bike. To make it feel more like my R6.

Old December 27th, 2012, 08:29 PM   #37
lgk

Quote:

I guess it kind of gets risky in that if the spring gets too weak the throttle will close too slow.

The euro throttle i bought is stiff, but i'll probably leave it alone too.
Maybe it'll weaken over time.

Old April 30th, 2013, 06:20 PM   #38
Trailerboy531
Gear crash test dummy

Name: Max

Motorcycle(s): 2010 Ninja 250 race bike, 2014 ZX-636r

bumping this. Anybody interested in a group buy of this item? I can try to put one together but we need interested parties first. No - I have no idea what the pricing is now or could be

Jason any word on that maybe? I need a throttle tube and cables since mine got raped and is somewhere out in the Chuckwalla dirt. Figured I might as well go quick turn.
CVMA #531
Trailerboy531 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 30th, 2013, 07:02 PM   #39
rojoracing53
Fast-Guy wannabe

MOTM - Jan '13
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trailerboy531 View Post
bumping this. Anybody interested in a group buy of this item? I can try to put one together but we need interested parties first. No - I have no idea what the pricing is now or could be

Jason any word on that maybe? I need a throttle tube and cables since mine got raped and is somewhere out in the Chuckwalla dirt. Figured I might as well go quick turn.
Refresh my memory on this maybe you speak of

Old April 30th, 2013, 07:09 PM   #40
Trailerboy531
Gear crash test dummy

Name: Max

Motorcycle(s): 2010 Ninja 250 race bike, 2014 ZX-636r

Sorry. Any word on the pricing? I know yours was free but you mentioned being unable to find it on the site so I thought you might know? Who can I contact about getting one of these and maybe working out a group buy?
CVMA #531
Trailerboy531 is offline   Reply With Quote