ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > 2008 - 2012 Ninja 250R > 2008 - 2012 Ninja 250R Farkles

Old June 6th, 2012, 05:15 AM   #1
dragonboy
ninjette.org member

Name: JT

Motorcycle(s): 2010 250R SE Green Machine, 2011 250R SE White Lightning

Smile DIY -T-Rex Exhaust Slider

I picked up a Yoshimura exhaust and was thinking of ways to protect it. The only thing I found available was the Shinto exhaust slider that was both expensive and a PITA to get. There’s also an exhaust ring available online. However, I didn’t like that it was so low profile that my bike would need to be horizontal for it to work, which would also put bodywork and other tidbits at risk of damage during a tip over.

Since I had an awesome experience with my frame sliders (my DIY), I contacted Tom at T-Rex Racing if they had a slider that would mount to the factory exhaust hanger and found out he had developed one specifically for this application. The kit includes a high-quality delrin slider, aluminum sleeve and longer bolt.

The install is super easy:

1. Remove exhaust bolt
2. Install new longer bolt and slider sleeve
3. Thread slider onto sleeve
4. Tighten small slider set screw
5. Ready to ride

The exhaust slider looks and fits perfectly. I also expected it to be a similar design to the frame slider but the screwed sleeve looks way stronger given the rear mounting point. The exhaust slider worked out great and sticks out evenly with the front slider.

I installed it on my 250 with the Yoshimura pipe and it's awesome. Also, I tried it out on my wife's 250 with an MGP Growler and it fits perfectly.

Price is $29.99+s/h at T-Rex's website.

*PLEASE NOTE: I do not recommend using this with aftermarket hangers, as the hanger material may be too thin/weak to support the weight of the bike or light impact. Also, I didn’t try it on the factory exhaust but it looks like it should work as well.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg T-Rex Exhaust Slider Kit 0.jpg (90.1 KB, 30 views)
File Type: jpg T-Rex Exhaust Slider - Yoshimura 1.jpg (95.2 KB, 46 views)
File Type: jpg T-Rex Exhaust Slider - Yoshimura 2..jpg (95.9 KB, 46 views)
File Type: jpg T-Rex Exhaust Slider MGP 1.jpg (73.1 KB, 40 views)
File Type: jpg T-Rex Exhaust Slider MGP 2.jpg (81.5 KB, 56 views)

Last futzed with by dragonboy; June 7th, 2012 at 03:25 PM. Reason: Add product link.
dragonboy is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 6th, 2012, 07:27 AM   #2
Malicious Logic
hates stupid people

Name: Mark

Motorcycle(s): 2005 ZX6R

Meh, not a fan of the look at all. Frame sliders sticking out is one thing but can't get with something sticking out back there. Good idea though and hope it does the job. The two brothers my bike came with is a little scraped on the bottom.

Old June 6th, 2012, 08:33 AM   #3
UltrA_09
ninjette.org member

Name: Ultra!

Motorcycle(s): Ninja 250R '09, SV650s '07

Very nicely done! I'm very impressed with how that looks, and most people would probably think it's just a passenger foot peg.

I like it!
UltrA_09 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 6th, 2012, 08:46 AM   #4
tony7kp
ninjette.org member

Name: Han

Motorcycle(s): 2010 Ninja 250R SE

how much did you pay for it?
tony7kp is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 6th, 2012, 08:48 AM   #5
edxmon
ninjette.org guru

Name: Ed

Motorcycle(s): '08 Ninja 250R (SOLD - 2/16/2013)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malicious Logic View Post
Meh, not a fan of the look at all. Frame sliders sticking out is one thing but can't get with something sticking out back there. Good idea though and hope it does the job. The two brothers my bike came with is a little scraped on the bottom.
I like a messed up exhaust (mine is 2 weeks old) even less. My t-rex frame sliders already payed for themselves a week or so ago when I droppped my bike from a standstill, I was instantly glad I had them. If this is is somewhat decently priced. $30+-$5, I might be all over it.

This is only 1 bolt and and one slider, half of the frame slider basically, I would expect it to be around half the price.

Old June 6th, 2012, 12:19 PM   #6
Old Lemon
Lays er down

Name: Michael

Motorcycle(s): 2008 Lime green Ninja 250R

Pretty cool. I was wondering where you got your hugger and if it comes in green?
Old Lemon is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 6th, 2012, 01:12 PM   #7
dragonboy
ninjette.org member

Hi Everyone, the slider is $29.99+s/h. No tax unless you're in Texas. ;-) I just checked the site and it isn't up yet, so post the link if you find or I'll just keep an eye out. Otherwise, you can contact them direct.

Old June 6th, 2012, 01:14 PM   #8
dragonboy
ninjette.org member

It's a Scott's hugger. Recall they come in colors. I'll try to look for his email or link, but tons of reviews and installs on the forum. Fit n finish is excellent n their handmade from fiberglass.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Lemon View Post
Pretty cool. I was wondering where you got your hugger and if it comes in green?

Old June 6th, 2012, 01:21 PM   #9
dragonboy
ninjette.org member

Glad the frame sliders worked out and the exhaust slider is only $29.99+s/h. ;-)

Quote:
Originally Posted by edxmon View Post
I like a messed up exhaust (mine is 2 weeks old) even less. My t-rex frame sliders already payed for themselves a week or so ago when I droppped my bike from a standstill, I was instantly glad I had them. If this is is somewhat decently priced. $30+-$5, I might be all over it.

This is only 1 bolt and and one slider, half of the frame slider basically, I would expect it to be around half the price.

Old June 6th, 2012, 01:26 PM   #10
dragonboy
ninjette.org member

I don't notice it while riding, I think it looks sportier, n it'll spare my exhaust.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malicious Logic View Post

Old June 6th, 2012, 01:42 PM   #11
Momaru
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Paul

Motorcycle(s): 2008 Candy Plasma Blue 250R

Wish I would've had one of these a month ago when I pounded the right side into the turf @ the track after a lowside that turned into a tumble.

That said, here's a note for framesliders: They can be great for low-speed (or no-speed) drops, but can make things MUCH worse (not always, sometimes they still help) with higher-speed mistakes. Also, the frame is rather easy to bend at the rear footpeg mounts.
I believe racers regularly remove the left passenger peg because landing on it frequently results in a tweaked frame. Having a slider out there may just make it easier on the right side. That said, since the exhaust (most aftermarkets anyway) is just attached at that point (other than the header, ofc) anyway, it may not make much of a difference which hits. Thus, it may be quite helpful provided it doesn't catch on anything.

Regardless, I like the idea. Thanks for sharing

Old June 6th, 2012, 01:52 PM   #12
dragonboy
ninjette.org member

Forgot to add that it easily fits a 150/60 tire.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dragonboy View Post
It's a Scott's hugger. Recall they come in colors. I'll try to look for his email or link, but tons of reviews and installs on the forum. Fit n finish is excellent n their handmade from fiberglass.

Old June 6th, 2012, 02:37 PM   #13
Old Lemon
Lays er down

Name: Michael

Motorcycle(s): 2008 Lime green Ninja 250R

swings5@comcast.net is the email for the hugger

I found this on another forum with a DIY install for the hugger
Old Lemon is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 7th, 2012, 03:23 PM   #14
dragonboy
ninjette.org member

Hi Everyone, it's up on T-Rex's site. Updated my original post. Here's the link

Old June 10th, 2012, 08:53 AM   #15
sharky nrk
Fighting Texas Aggie '05

Name: Neil

Motorcycle(s): '07 ZX6R, '08 Versys, '09 250R Track, '93 F2/F3 Track

I like the idea of protecting your expensive exhaust upgrade, but since my down at the track broke my hanger in three pieces and bent the hell out of all the brackets, I don't think this would help much lol.
sharky nrk is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 26th, 2013, 10:29 PM   #16
SwagenGTI
ninjette.org member

Name: Jon

Motorcycle(s): 09 250R

I am probably going to order one of these since I just got done installing my shogun sliders and realized there is no protection for my yoshi. I am very curious at its ability to provide any protection though from an actual slide. I feel like if you dropped the bike while moving, it would be very easy to tweak the frame where as if you dropped on the exhaust, the area is distributed; sure the exhaust would get scratched but I feel like the frame would be less prone to getting pulled on. :/
SwagenGTI is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 6th, 2013, 02:05 PM   #17
SwagenGTI
ninjette.org member

Name: Jon

Motorcycle(s): 09 250R

So I threw it on there, unfortunately, I have to screw the thing pretty much all the way out in order to even come close to protecting my yoshi. Though, I have the heat shield on there. It looks like the heat shield as well as the lower corner of the exhaust would hit before the slider even comes close.
SwagenGTI is offline   Reply With Quote