ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > General > General Motorcycling Discussion

Old September 16th, 2012, 06:40 PM   #1
SemperFudge
ninjette.org member

Name: Paul

Motorcycle(s): 2001 Ninja 250R

SemperFudge's Log: Hello World!

Hey guys! I've been lurking the forums for the past few weeks and its now time to make an account!

A few weeks ago (literally) I randomly decided that I WANT a bike. More importantly, I decided that I want a Ninja 250R. Fast forward a couple of weeks and after I got more and more serious, I signed up for the MSF course, which I just completed today! 50/50 on the written section and I passed the skills test with flying colors! I even got a perfect score on that dreaded box everyone seems to hate.

Now that my endorsement will be coming in the mail any day now, its time for me to buy my first bike I plan to buy an 08+ Ninja off Craigslist with cash up front, as everyone here has been suggesting.

I'll be buying my bike as soon as I find a great deal maybe sometime next week, and from then on, I'll be logging my experiences with plenty of beautiful pictures so I can get plenty of critique and advice from my fellow riders.

A little about myself: 21 year old male, lives in the Inland Empire, and commutes to the OC for school at UC Irvine, no riding experience prior to the MSF course, currently drives an MB C230 (I have a profile at MBWorld under the same name).

Let's get this ball rolling!
SemperFudge is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 16th, 2012, 06:52 PM   #2
Jiggles
Jigglin' your Jiglets

Name: Sean

Motorcycle(s): 2009 K1300S, 2013 Ninja 300, 2011 Ninja 250R, Faster than Unregistered's ninjette

MOTM - Apr '13
While you're looking for a bike get some gear and start getting some quotes on a good insurance policy
AFM #676
Supersports are for n00bs
Jiggles is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 16th, 2012, 06:54 PM   #3
Old Lemon
Lays er down

Name: Michael

Motorcycle(s): 2008 Lime green Ninja 250R

cycle gear is having a big sale, you can get a 2 piece sedici suit for 300$!
Old Lemon is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 16th, 2012, 06:54 PM   #4
menikmati
crash 250, get supersport

Name: Richard

Motorcycle(s): 2010 250R SE (Sold 6/9/14), 2009 ZX-6R (Sold 6/25/14), Subaru BRZ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jiggles View Post
While you're looking for a bike get some gear and start getting some quotes on a good insurance policy
This.

If you're going to be commuting to UCI you might want to be comfortable dealing with traffic or lanesplitting. UCI is a great school, I went there for CSE.
menikmati is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 16th, 2012, 06:56 PM   #5
SemperFudge
ninjette.org member

Quote:
yup thats exactly what im doing right now! im seeing quotes between $30 and $50 a month, obviously im going for the cheaper one lol ill be getting gear later this week

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Lemon View Post
cycle gear is having a big sale, you can get a 2 piece sedici suit for 300$!
thanks for tip lemon!

Old September 16th, 2012, 06:58 PM   #6
menikmati

Motorcycle(s): 2010 250R SE (Sold 6/9/14), 2009 ZX-6R (Sold 6/25/14), Subaru BRZ

Quote:
Originally Posted by SemperFudge View Post
yup thats exactly what im doing right now! im seeing quotes between $30 and $50 a month, obviously im going for the cheaper one lol ill be getting gear later this week

thanks for tip lemon!
Don't cheap out on insurance.

Old September 16th, 2012, 07:03 PM   #7
SemperFudge
ninjette.org member

Quote:
Originally Posted by menikmati View Post
Don't cheap out on insurance.
when i mean cheap i mean as cheap as i can go with full coverage. still a bad idea?

Old September 16th, 2012, 07:04 PM   #8
menikmati

Quote:
when i mean cheap i mean as cheap as i can go with full coverage. still a bad idea?
Get decent limits with UM.

Ask @Jiggles about his broken femur and he'll dish out some insurance advice for you.

Old September 16th, 2012, 07:05 PM   #9
Jiggles
Jigglin' your Jiglets

Motorcycle(s): 2009 K1300S, 2013 Ninja 300, 2011 Ninja 250R, Faster than Unregistered's ninjette

MOTM - Apr '13
Dude, skimp on insurance, medical bills are super fun to pay!
AFM #676

Old September 16th, 2012, 07:06 PM   #10
menikmati

Quote:
Dude, skimp on insurance, medical bills are super fun to pay!
But what if he really wants that slip-on?

Old September 16th, 2012, 07:06 PM   #11
Jiggles
Jigglin' your Jiglets

MOTM - Apr '13
Read This
AFM #676

Old September 16th, 2012, 07:15 PM   #12
psych0hans
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Hansveer

Motorcycle(s): Ninja 250r - Track whore, Ninja 300 - SOLD, KTM RC390 - Orange Hulk, Ducati 899 Panigale - Red Devil.

@Jiggles OT, but did you use a cramp buster to make that gif video thingie?

Old September 16th, 2012, 07:18 PM   #13
Jiggles
Jigglin' your Jiglets

MOTM - Apr '13
no
AFM #676

Old September 17th, 2012, 09:27 AM   #14
Jim Moore
ninjette.org member

Name: Jim

Motorcycle(s): 2000 Ninjette, 98 CBR600, 98 VFR800, 2000 BMW R1100RS, Kymco Movie 150

I'd recommend you look for an 07 or earlier, well-used and beat-up. Ride it for a few months, then sell it for the same price when you decide to move up. People are still asking too much for their 08+ bikes.

Old September 17th, 2012, 09:40 AM   #15
SemperFudge
ninjette.org member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Moore View Post
I'd recommend you look for an 07 or earlier, well-used and beat-up. Ride it for a few months, then sell it for the same price when you decide to move up. People are still asking too much for their 08+ bikes.
I'm trying to lock down an offer on an 08 for $2100. Its only got a few scratches and a small crack on the fairings. Also needs to get rear brake pad replaced soon. 4300 miles. He's even willing to drive it down from LA so my guy can check it. Seems legit.

Good deal?

Old September 17th, 2012, 09:41 AM   #16
Cazper
ninjaholic

Name: Dustin

Motorcycle(s): 09' SE 250R (sold), 03' ZX-6R, 99' XL1200C SP

Welcome to the forums! Sounds like you're doing things the right way... research is important! We have a great group of riders in the SoCal area... keep an eye out for events in the area and if you ever want to go for a ride once you're ready for it... let me know... I'm not that far away from you!

*EDIT*
@SemperFudge, needs rear brakes at 4300 miles? and a crack in the fairing... this would make me a little nervous on both cases... but if you get it checked out and nothing is wrong underneath... $2100 is a great deal for a solid bike.
Cazper is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 17th, 2012, 09:43 AM   #17
SemperFudge
ninjette.org member

This is the bike I'm trying to get. I can't tell, but is it missing the turn signals?

Scratches

Old September 17th, 2012, 09:45 AM   #18
menikmati

So it's been dumped on both sides? That's a pretty low-mileage new-gen for a cheap price and considering you're in So Cal.

Old September 17th, 2012, 09:46 AM   #19
SemperFudge
ninjette.org member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cazper View Post
Welcome to the forums! Sounds like you're doing things the right way... research is important! We have a great group of riders in the SoCal area... keep an eye out for events in the area and if you ever want to go for a ride once you're ready for it... let me know... I'm not that far away from you!

*EDIT*
@SemperFudge, needs rear brakes at 4300 miles? and a crack in the fairing... this would make me a little nervous on both cases... but if you get it checked out and nothing is wrong underneath... $2100 is a great deal for a solid bike.
Thanks man! I'd love to hit up the events once I practice enough to hang on the streets and freeway. Nothing but parking lots for me for a while haha

Yeah I questioned the rear brakes too, but if my guy says its good to go then I'll take his word for it.

Old September 17th, 2012, 09:48 AM   #20
menikmati

Quote:
Thanks man! I'd love to hit up the events once I practice enough to hang on the streets and freeway. Nothing but parking lots for me for a while haha

Yeah I questioned the rear brakes too, but if my guy says its good to go then I'll take his word for it.
I'd start learning how to do some of the maintenance yourself, oil change, chain adjust/lube/clean.

I'd also inspect the tires and try to swap them out for good rubber if you can spare the money.

Old September 17th, 2012, 09:52 AM   #21
SemperFudge
ninjette.org member

Quote:
I'd start learning how to do some of the maintenance yourself, oil change, chain adjust/lube/clean.

I'd also inspect the tires and try to swap them out for good rubber if you can spare the money.
Yeah first thing I do when I get a used car is switch out the tires. I don't give a crap what the previous owner says their condition is. Its one thing I don't want to risk, especially with a bike.

I'm definitely gonna read up on maintenance. As a college student, penny pinching is my major.

Old September 17th, 2012, 10:09 AM   #22
Cazper
ninjaholic

The maintenance aspect is another reason to come to the get togethers... that's how you learn how to do everything on these bikes... even though several of the guys/girls we hang out with no longer have 250's... everyone started out on one and most did modifications and all the maintenance on our own bikes or helped one another out with it.

Back on topics, yeah obviously that bike has been down on both sides but if fairings is all that is wrong with it and there is no internal damage than I would still go for it... that's about half the price or less than a new one and if the fairings bother you that bad you can get replacements from nicecycles.com for a decent price.

Either way good luck!!!

Old September 17th, 2012, 10:15 AM   #23
menikmati

Quote:
The maintenance aspect is another reason to come to the get togethers... that's how you learn how to do everything on these bikes... even though several of the guys/girls we hang out with no longer have 250's... everyone started out on one and most did modifications and all the maintenance on our own bikes or helped one another out with it.

Back on topics, yeah obviously that bike has been down on both sides but if fairings is all that is wrong with it and there is no internal damage than I would still go for it... that's about half the price or less than a new one and if the fairings bother you that bad you can get replacements from nicecycles.com for a decent price.

Either way good luck!!!
True, properly maintaining a 250R is fulfilling once you get to know the ins and outs of the bike.

When I bought @Kevin2109 's 250R he told me up front that it was lowsided on the right hand side, pointed out the damage and I didn't care as long as the forks weren't FUBAR or anything.

Old September 17th, 2012, 10:19 AM   #24
Cazper
ninjaholic

Quote:
When I bought @Kevin2109 's 250R...
Speaking of which... haven't seen you around much since I met you at that one get together. I know I was deployed so that might account for much of it...lol. You should definitely come hang out again!!

Old September 17th, 2012, 12:12 PM   #25
Gurk
Done here.

Name: -

Motorcycle(s): -

Sitting on Kev's old bike.. ewwww i dunno how you do it.

Gurk is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 17th, 2012, 01:38 PM   #26
Jim Moore
ninjette.org member

Name: Jim

Motorcycle(s): 2000 Ninjette, 98 CBR600, 98 VFR800, 2000 BMW R1100RS, Kymco Movie 150

Quote:
I'm trying to lock down an offer on an 08 for $2100. Its only got a few scratches and a small crack on the fairings. Also needs to get rear brake pad replaced soon. 4300 miles. He's even willing to drive it down from LA so my guy can check it. Seems legit.

Good deal?
That's a tough one. Rashed on boths sides means two crashes usually. Missing turn signals is also an indication of a crash. Rear brake pads at 4300 miles is just weird. Imo what you have there is a bike that looks like crap because of the rashed plastics. There's nothing wrong with a bike that looks like crap. All my bikes look like crap. That being said, you'd be better off getting an actual good-looking bike for a several hundred more, or getting an actual piece of junk for several hundred less. That bike is kinda in no-man's land.

Old September 17th, 2012, 01:42 PM   #27
Jiggles
Jigglin' your Jiglets

MOTM - Apr '13
I'd buy that bike for $2100

CA prices are ridonk
AFM #676

Old September 17th, 2012, 01:45 PM   #28
SemperFudge
ninjette.org member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Moore View Post
That's a tough one. Rashed on boths sides means two crashes usually. Missing turn signals is also an indication of a crash. Rear brake pads at 4300 miles is just weird. Imo what you have there is a bike that looks like crap because of the rashed plastics. There's nothing wrong with a bike that looks like crap. All my bikes look like crap. That being said, you'd be better off getting an actual good-looking bike for a several hundred more, or getting an actual piece of junk for several hundred less. That bike is kinda in no-man's land.
i was slowly starting to think the same. i might have to pass on this one. if i cant find an 08+ for around $2100-$2200 this week, I'll just jump on a pregen. most other listing want $3k+ on their 08's and 09's. they are damn crazy.

I found an 01 with 6000 miles, new battery, and new tires. it looks to be pretty good condition. Owner said the previous owner repainted it but made no mention of it having ever been dropped. Seems like a pretty good deal for $1500 and it'll allow me to buy nicer gear. and im actually kind of liking the orange color, its definitely different.

Old September 17th, 2012, 02:13 PM   #29
menikmati

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gurk View Post
Sitting on Kev's old bike.. ewwww i dunno how you do it.

Now I can't un-read that.

*runs outside to pressure wash and disinfect seat*

Old September 17th, 2012, 02:18 PM   #30
menikmati

Quote:
Speaking of which... haven't seen you around much since I met you at that one get together. I know I was deployed so that might account for much of it...lol. You should definitely come hang out again!!
Definitely, I only had about 1-2 months of riding experience back then and have improved a lot, so I won't cut you off as much or as badly when in parking situations.

I'm definitely going to make it a personal goal of mine to go to at least 1 track day (my first) sometime during the next year. I'd have to be put wayyyyyyyy in the back of the group, though.

Old September 17th, 2012, 02:21 PM   #31
bbonds007
The Bonds

Name: Bryan

Motorcycle(s): 06 Yellow Ninja

I like that orange pregen! IMO a cheap nice looking pregen > scratched up more expensive newgen any day, but not everyone will agree with that. I went that route and like you said, it gives you more money to buy gear, better insurance, and not skimp out on parts most used bikes will need.
bbonds007 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 17th, 2012, 05:59 PM   #32
Old Guy on a '08
Chris

Name: Chris

Motorcycle(s): BLACK!!! '08 250R

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbonds007 View Post
I like that orange pregen! IMO a cheap nice looking pregen > scratched up more expensive newgen any day, but not everyone will agree with that. I went that route and like you said, it gives you more money to buy gear, better insurance, and not skimp out on parts most used bikes will need.
After you buy ALL the REQUIRED STUFF....
Good Insurance - Check
Good Helmet - Check
Gloves - Check
Rding Jacket - Check
MSF Basic Course - Check and Double Check
if you can still afford it go for the NewGen ---- Just looks better. Figure on spend a couple o' hundred on getting it road worthy.
Have your guy check out the chain, sprokets, mechanics, electrics and if your guys says (your guys does know what he's doinjg.... right???) then make an offer a couple hundred lower... have the cash in your hand.. it's an arm twister....
Old Guy on a '08 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 17th, 2012, 08:43 PM   #33
Cazper
ninjaholic

I just couldn't do the pregen... no offense, but it's just way too out dated. At least you can confuse people with a new gen and they might think it's a bigger bike... there is no foolin' anyone with a pregen... and those 80's looks... I guess it's just not my taste. Good luck with whatever you choose to do though!

@menikmati, sounds like a plan bro... I still have yet to hit the track... hoping to hit up the noob track day in Nov though!!

Old September 17th, 2012, 08:47 PM   #34
SemperFudge
ninjette.org member

Quote:
I just couldn't do the pregen... no offense, but it's just way too out dated. At least you can confuse people with a new gen and they might think it's a bigger bike... there is no foolin' anyone with a pregen... and those 80's looks... I guess it's just not my taste. Good luck with whatever you choose to do though!

@menikmati, sounds like a plan bro... I still have yet to hit the track... hoping to hit up the noob track day in Nov though!!
Nah trust me, I know how ugly the pregen is compared to the newgens. But really, being my first bike, looks is probably the last thing i should care about at the moment. Its likely gonna be dropped, and im more than likely gonna get rid of it in a few months anyway. it'll probably serve more as a "buffer" for the time being until the '08-'12 models drop in price, and with the new '13 around the corner, it shouldn't be too long.

I think getting a cheap beat up pregen to help me just figure out how to ride properly before i move to a nice clean bike is a good idea, no?

Old September 17th, 2012, 09:04 PM   #35
Cazper
ninjaholic

@SemperFudge, I see your logic... if I intended to only have a bike for a few months I would either not buy it at all or spend as little as possible on it. I've had my 250 for 2 1/2 years and have fallen in love with it. I will not get rid of it... I simply plan to add to my stable of bikes. But, again... if your plan is to get rid of it in a few months I guess it really wouldn't matter what you get or how ugly it is

Old September 17th, 2012, 10:04 PM   #36
SemperFudge
ninjette.org member

What did you guys think of this 2006 500r?

Owner's details:
Quote:
17,000 miles
good tires
new brake pads (2 weeks old)
flushed and replaced brake fluid (3 weeks ago)
oil change (1 week ago)
flushed coolant (1 week ago)
new oil filter (1 week)
idle adjustment (3 week)

cons: minor dent on left and right side of gas tank
little scratches on left side because previous owner
dropped it.
He's asking $1500, I'm sure I can bring it down a little.

Sounds like a good deal?

Old September 17th, 2012, 10:16 PM   #37
menikmati

I don't know **** about 500's.

Old September 17th, 2012, 10:19 PM   #38
SemperFudge
ninjette.org member

Quote:
I don't know **** about 500's.
lol yeah i kinda assumed not a lot of people here would know much about them

i just saw it on craigslist and wasnt sure if it was a good deal or not

Old September 17th, 2012, 10:26 PM   #39
Jiggles
Jigglin' your Jiglets

MOTM - Apr '13
WTF I'd buy the **** out of that bike right now
AFM #676

Old September 17th, 2012, 10:29 PM   #40
SemperFudge
ninjette.org member

Quote:
WTF I'd buy the **** out of that bike right now
i might just buy it to resell it. im sure i can get an easy $2300. the guy is in a rush to sell it for school which kinda explains the asking price, but i emailed him to check for a clean title and up to date tags.

if it all checks out, there's a huge profit margin to be made here.