ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > 2013 - 2017 Ninja 300 > 2013 - 2017 Ninja 300 Tech Talk

Notices

Old October 1st, 2012, 02:25 PM   #1
rusninja
Ninjette wanabe :D

Name: Ruslan

Motorcycle(s): white 300 :D

Info on Area P Exhaust Systems for the 2013 Ninja 300

@kbryant How long till we see a area p ?

Old October 2nd, 2012, 01:48 PM   #2
adouglas
Cat herder

Name: Gort
Location: A secret lair which, being secret, has an undisclosed location

Motorcycle(s): Aprilia RS660

MOTM - Jul '18, Nov '16, Aug '14, May '13
Official word from AreaP is that they're going to do systems for the new bike. I know this for a fact for the QuietCore since that's what I asked about... have to assume they'll also have the short can too.
adouglas is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 9th, 2012, 10:24 AM   #3
kbryant
Area P

Name: Kerry

Motorcycle(s): Too many to list

We appreciate the inquiries on the new 300 exhaust R&D program. Since this is the site we support, we'll provide the updates here first;

We are still awaiting our production bike from KMC to be delivered to our CA facility. We are also awaiting our new FI Micro programmer that has the ability to hold multiple maps. The way our R&D program now works with having two facilities is that initial CAD designs and prototyping is done at our SoCal facility. Then these modular components are sent to our FL location where we fine tune the data, fitment, dimensions, Dyno testing and FI Mapping. Final testing and fittment is done at our FL location. When we require a bike in our FL location, whoever provides the bike will receive the first production system, FI programmer, Dyno Tuning, and installation all for free! The bike obviously does not have to be located in FL, it can be shipped/brought here if desired.

We will likely have several systems to choose from as usual. We will be doing maps for a variety of combinations, scenarios, rpm ranges and throttle positions. Our R&D program will be extensive, as it was on the 250R. Our goal is to have production systems and FI programmers ready by late December after all tooling and fixtures are designed. Meeting this goal is dependant on how the R&D program progresses. Detailed information will be released as soon as possible on our website, as well as ninjette.org. Stay tuned....
kbryant is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 9th, 2012, 10:32 AM   #4
JBinSD
ninjette.org guru

Name: Joel

Motorcycle(s): '13 Ninja 300, '99 SV650 tracked

Thanx for the update Kerry, looking forward to bumping the new bike even more. The offer for my bike as prototype still stands
JBinSD is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 9th, 2012, 10:40 AM   #5
kbryant
Area P

Thank you for that offer Joel. If we don't get ours soon, we may be getting back to you on that....

Old October 10th, 2012, 02:12 AM   #6
Mehbs300
ninjette.org member

Name: Steve

Motorcycle(s): 2013 NINJA 300

Thanks for the update Kerry, I'm definitely getting one for my bike for Christmas
Mehbs300 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 10th, 2012, 02:46 PM   #7
kbryant
Area P

Bike delivered. R&D program started.

Old October 10th, 2012, 02:56 PM   #8
adouglas
Cat herder

Name: Gort
Location: A secret lair which, being secret, has an undisclosed location

Motorcycle(s): Aprilia RS660

MOTM - Jul '18, Nov '16, Aug '14, May '13
Coolness.

Something occurred to me... are you thinking of doing a new can for this bike? I've got a Quiet Core that I dearly love already... would be nifty to just have to buy a new header if I swap bikes.

Also interested in how you're going to deal with the EFI. Won't a Power Commander or somesuch be required, or will the bike's existing computer be able to adjust itself?
adouglas is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 10th, 2012, 03:01 PM   #9
Surferboy120
Finding some curves....

Name: Thomas

Motorcycle(s): 2013 300 Ninja

Quote:
Originally Posted by kbryant View Post
Bike delivered. R&D program started.
Love to learn anything related to the ECU managements capabilities when available. Not sure if you know yet as to whether your going down the path of providing maps that can be additionally tuned or if the maps offered will be basically a ECU reflash. If the maps will be tunable knowing some of the tuning options when available will really get me excited.

I am also interested in if data logging will be available and what sensors we will be able to datalog.

Thank you and good luck with the R&D. I can't wait to see what your company comes up with.

Thomas
Surferboy120 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 10th, 2012, 04:43 PM   #10
kbryant
Area P

Thank you. As noted in post #24 - "awaiting our new FI Micro programmer that has the ability to hold multiple maps."

"We will be doing maps for a variety of combinations, scenarios, rpm ranges and throttle positions."

Further, the logic will be Dynojet PC5 based. Besides a variety of supplied/available specific based maps available from Area P, you will have ability to manipulate your own changes as well; both manually and laptop/PC based. It will be user friendly. As R&D proceeds, we'll have more updates and general info to consider.

Old October 10th, 2012, 04:56 PM   #11
rusninja

@kbryant will there be pictures :O?

Old October 10th, 2012, 07:31 PM   #12
Surferboy120
Finding some curves....

Name: Thomas

Motorcycle(s): 2013 300 Ninja

Quote:
Thank you. As noted in post #24 - "awaiting our new FI Micro programmer that has the ability to hold multiple maps."

"We will be doing maps for a variety of combinations, scenarios, rpm ranges and throttle positions."

Further, the logic will be Dynojet PC5 based. Besides a variety of supplied/available specific based maps available from Area P, you will have ability to manipulate your own changes as well; both manually and laptop/PC based. It will be user friendly. As R&D proceeds, we'll have more updates and general info to consider.
Wonderful stuff! Thank you for the information and I look forward to the final product.
Surferboy120 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 18th, 2012, 10:39 PM   #13
rusninja

@kbryant any updates or some goodies like pictures ?

Old October 19th, 2012, 06:37 AM   #14
kbryant
Area P

Quote:
Originally Posted by rusninja View Post
@kbryant any updates or some goodies like pictures ?
We'll be posting some pix later today exclusively for Ninjette.org members of the prototypes that are now ready for testing. We've designed 3 different sets of headpipes, 4 rear sections, 5 muffllers, mounting brackets, and sound attenuator inserts. These will now be sent to our Florida R&D facility where we will thoroughly Dyno test all the combinations, fine tune the fitments & designs, and Map all the diffferent combinations.

Since our R&D bike at our CA facility has to be returned to KMC, if anyone in South Florida has a bike they would like to let us use for this final phase of testing, they will receive a substantial amount of product & service in return -system of their choice, FI Micro Programmer with 3 maps, Mounting Bracket, custom installation and dyno tuning. We hope to have our FI Micro Tuner within the next few weeks, then Dyno testing will begin. Testing without the FI Tuner is somewhat of a mute point, since to fully validate each combination of headpipes, rear sections, and mufflers to their given potential, we must be able to adjust A/F curves based both on rpm & throttle position. Stay tuned.

Old October 19th, 2012, 09:54 AM   #15
LoD575
ninjette.org sage

Name: Steve

Motorcycle(s): 2012 Ninja 250, 2006 Ninja ZX6R-636

Keep us updated Kerry.
LoD575 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 19th, 2012, 03:06 PM   #16
tnr4
ninjette.org sage

Name: Travis

Motorcycle(s): Suzuki GSX650F! Past: Kawasaki Ninja 300 (Sold); Triumph Street Triple (Sold); Kawasaki Ninja 250 (Sold)

I'm excited to see what AP can come up with. The dyno for the Leo Vince is a little disappointing; not only is the bump less appreciable than I expected with a full system, but I'm totally not willing to DROP the torque curve below 5krpm. It's already a bit anemic down there, so intentionally losing power at a weak point seems bad; definitely not something I'll pay a lot for.
tnr4 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 20th, 2012, 09:17 AM   #17
kbryant
Area P

Here's a few pix of some of the full system prototypes we'll be testing. An ultra high mount, standard mount with optional bracket, standard mount with long muffler and optional bracket, a variety of quiet core modules & cores, mufflers as well. Standard mounts can also retain the oem passenger peg if desired. Ultra high mount will likely require a fender eliminator kit. Once we begin our dyno testing & mapping, we'll narrow down all the options. With all the different versions we've prototyped, there's a substantial amount of data to attain before releasing the best combinations.

Last futzed with by kbryant; October 24th, 2012 at 12:28 PM. Reason: additional pic

Old October 20th, 2012, 09:23 AM   #18
rusninja

@kbryant pics YAY

Old October 20th, 2012, 09:28 AM   #19
rusninja

Will there be a 12" quiet core or just 18" :O? Also with the ultra mount is there no way of geting a undertail exhaust or would there be a clearnce issue?

Old October 20th, 2012, 09:32 AM   #20
tnr4
ninjette.org sage

Name: Travis

Motorcycle(s): Suzuki GSX650F! Past: Kawasaki Ninja 300 (Sold); Triumph Street Triple (Sold); Kawasaki Ninja 250 (Sold)

Very nice! I don't know if anyone else has pointed it out during your R&D process, but the 300 has a tendency to land the rider's boot on the exhaust heat shield. With the standard mount versions, there, it looks like my boot my sit right on the actual muffler. Any plans for a heat shield to keep the boots from melting?
tnr4 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 20th, 2012, 10:19 AM   #21
kbryant
Area P

Quote:
Will there be a 12" quiet core or just 18" :O? Also with the ultra mount is there no way of geting a undertail exhaust or would there be a clearnce issue?
Possibly with an insert. But the short length of the 12" means sound has to be attenuated more through restriction (not the best way), instead of dispersion through volume (like the 18"). Testing will tell.

We looked at an undertail design and prototyped one. Issues are many; reliable mounting system, radiant heat and cooling, actual performance. It may look neat, but there are many issues to consider.

Old October 20th, 2012, 10:25 AM   #22
kbryant
Area P

Quote:
Originally Posted by tnr4 View Post
Very nice! I don't know if anyone else has pointed it out during your R&D process, but the 300 has a tendency to land the rider's boot on the exhaust heat shield. With the standard mount versions, there, it looks like my boot my sit right on the actual muffler. Any plans for a heat shield to keep the boots from melting?
Yep, we noticed. Standard system is fine testing heal on peg and toes on peg. We have several options with altering routing, adding heatshield, etc. The Ultra high mount was more noticeable and we have plenty of options to address it. That's why we have a thourgh R&D program.

Old October 20th, 2012, 10:33 AM   #23
rusninja

Ah true. Seeing the pictures the pipe looks pretty thick almost like the 250 race pipe on all of them, Any pictures of the header?

Old October 20th, 2012, 11:44 AM   #24
choneofakind
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: .

Motorcycle(s): .

MOTM - Feb '13, Feb '14
Just a thought here, will the high-mount and standard systems be compatible with aftermarket rearsets?
Posted via Mobile Device
choneofakind is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 20th, 2012, 12:21 PM   #25
kbryant
Area P

Quote:
Ah true. Seeing the pictures the pipe looks pretty thick almost like the 250 race pipe on all of them, Any pictures of the header?
Yep. But we're not going to show those yet. We've literly worked 24/7 on the 3 different headpipe prototypes for testing. No sense giving the competition a headstart . Once we know which version(s) we'll be using, we'll post them up. I will tell you this; those jumping to simply throw something together and call it a day, will be not be giving you their best efforts. Small displacement, high reving 4 strokes require alot of R&D to cover all bases of hp/tq/throttle response/fueling. It won't just be in the headpipes, mid-section, muffler; it will also be in the correct A/F mapping of all versions to bring the whole package together. Actually taking the time to do all this is definetly a project...

Old October 20th, 2012, 12:25 PM   #26
kbryant
Area P

Quote:
Originally Posted by choneofakind View Post
Just a thought here, will the high-mount and standard systems be compatible with aftermarket rearsets?
Posted via Mobile Device
As much as possible, we try to factor that in when designing prototypes. Obviously without having actual rearsets available, and the variety of different dimensions those aftermarket manufactures utilize, it can be difficult to determine at this stage.

Old October 20th, 2012, 03:07 PM   #27
rusninja

Do you think i can have this on my bike before next year :P? or It might just be established by the end of december and sold early next year?

Old October 20th, 2012, 05:45 PM   #28
kbryant
Area P

Quote:
Do you think i can have this on my bike before next year :P? or It might just be established by the end of december and sold early next year?
Really won't know until we're done with R&D program. Both of those time-frames are goals. The way it works is after the R&D program is completed, we then design & build all tooling & fixtures to manufacture them in production. We'll keep the updates coming.

Old October 20th, 2012, 07:22 PM   #29
ionized
ninjette.org member

Name: Nunya

Motorcycle(s): 04' Ninja 250, 13' Ninja 300

Quote:
I will tell you this; those jumping to simply throw something together and call it a day, will be not be giving you their best efforts. Small displacement, high reving 4 strokes require alot of R&D to cover all bases of hp/tq/throttle response/fueling. It won't just be in the headpipes, mid-section, muffler; it will also be in the correct A/F mapping of all versions to bring the whole package together. Actually taking the time to do all this is definetly a project...
This is why you will be receiving my money for a full system eventually. You guys did this for the pre08 EX250 when no one else would bother. I'll be saving my money for an Area P exhaust. I'm in central florida (orlando) and don't even have my bike yet (mid-november), but if I was on south florida and had my bike, you bet I would give it to your R and D. lol
ionized is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 20th, 2012, 08:34 PM   #30
psych0hans

Name: Hansveer

Motorcycle(s): Ninja 250r - Track whore, Ninja 300 - SOLD, KTM RC390 - Orange Hulk, Ducati 899 Panigale - Red Devil.

Quote:
Here's a few pix of some of the full system prototypes we'll be testing. An ultra high mount, standard mount with optional bracket, standard mount with long muffler and optional bracket, a variety of quiet core modules & cores, mufflers as well. Standard mounts can also retain the oem passenger peg if desired. Ultra high mount will likely require a fender eliminator kit. Once we begin our dyno testing & mapping, we'll narrow down all the options. With all the different versions we've prototyped, there's a substantial amount of data to attain before releasing the best combinations.

Hey Kerry, Totally digging your work,especially this ultra high mount one... Looks sweet Though, won't it increase COG? Just curious. Keep up the good work...

Old October 21st, 2012, 07:30 AM   #31
kbryant
Area P

Thank you for the comments. Well in our industry "COG" stands for two things: "Cost of Goods", or "Center of Gravity". Assuming you mean the later - you would only notice the benefits of this design- Weight savings of a Fender Eliminator kit, weight savings of passenger pegs removed, overall weight savings of the exhaust system itself, and tucked routing of the mid-pipe/muffler.

Old October 21st, 2012, 09:19 AM   #32
Rekognize
ninjette.org member

Name: J

Motorcycle(s): Ninja 300

Quote:

I love the ultra high mount!!

Greater Toronto Area 250/300 Riding Group
Rekognize is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 21st, 2012, 09:34 AM   #33
want1sobad
Ninjette CPT

Name: Vince

Motorcycle(s): Black 08 250r

+10,0000

want1sobad is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 21st, 2012, 06:03 PM   #34
rusninja

@kbryant So will florida need a bike till someone brings it in or will they eventualy get sent the kmcs 300?

Old October 21st, 2012, 06:36 PM   #35
kbryant
Area P

Quote:
@kbryant So will florida need a bike till someone brings it in or will they eventualy get sent the kmcs 300?
From post #14 -

"Since our R&D bike at our CA facility has to be returned to KMC, if anyone in South Florida has a bike they would like to let us use for this final phase of testing, they will receive a substantial amount of product & service in return -system of their choice, FI Micro Programmer with 3 maps, Mounting Bracket, custom installation and dyno tuning. We hope to have our FI Micro Tuner within the next few weeks, then Dyno testing will begin. Testing without the FI Tuner is somewhat of a mute point, since to fully validate each combination of headpipes, rear sections, and mufflers to their given potential, we must be able to adjust A/F curves based both on rpm & throttle position"

We always prefer to provide the product to a consumer donor bike in exchange for the final testing/fitting as they get a great package in exchange. Since our final R&D is now done at our Florida location (where I am currently located), it's not quite as easy for us to simply run down to KMC in SoCal if we don't have a consumer loaner. There have been cases where we have purchased bikes in the past, to complete our R&D programs if necessary. So we'll see if we find one locally, or have one shipped in to us shortly. If not, we'll purchase one for "long term testing". Never hurts to add another bike to the stable.

Old October 21st, 2012, 07:00 PM   #36
rusninja

Wait you need a bike in socal not florida >.< im confused

Old October 21st, 2012, 07:02 PM   #37
choneofakind

Name: .

Motorcycle(s): .

MOTM - Feb '13, Feb '14
More questions for you Kerry,

Will you be making maps for with/without the snorkel?

Right now, do you think it will be possible to ditch the airbox and switch to a pod filter? Or would the bike get better performance from an airbox?

Also, what does the cross tube on the oem system accomplish? I know the 88-07 bikes had one, but my aftermarket Muzzy system (and your discontinued 88-07 full system as well) does not have this cross tube.

I don't even have a 300, but I think your R&D process is cool and I want to learn as much as I can about the new bike.
choneofakind is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 21st, 2012, 07:12 PM   #38
kbryant
Area P

Quote:
Wait you need a bike in socal not florida >.< im confused
Florida

Old October 21st, 2012, 07:19 PM   #39
rusninja

Awww to bad >.< I got my hopes up for a second i think shipping my bike would be super expensive :/

Old October 21st, 2012, 08:00 PM   #40
kbryant
Area P

Quote:
Originally Posted by choneofakind View Post
More questions for you Kerry,

Will you be making maps for with/without the snorkel?

Right now, do you think it will be possible to ditch the airbox and switch to a pod filter? Or would the bike get better performance from an airbox?

Also, what does the cross tube on the oem system accomplish? I know the 88-07 bikes had one, but my aftermarket Muzzy system (and your discontinued 88-07 full system as well) does not have this cross tube.

I don't even have a 300, but I think your R&D process is cool and I want to learn as much as I can about the new bike.
We'll be doing maps with and without the Snorkel, along with an array of other combinations.

With FI, I believe it will work best with the oem airbox, snorkel removed, and/or modified oem airbox (such as an aftermarket filter, removal of the backfire screen, etc.). But you really cannot be completely sure until actually testing it with Pod style filters as well. Unless we've actually tested it, and we know for certain what it does or doesn't do, we don't rule it out.

Well there's alot of black magic to the cross-over theory. Some good, some bad. In many cases, that crossover tube you see, may not even have actual openings on some models. It may also have openings much smaller than the actual cross-over tube diameter that we call "bleeders". The primary benefits we see to them is attenuation of sound. When you have a given goal of getting the best performance within a certain sound and emission level restriction (like the OEMs), going with a cross-over tube at a certain point in the headpipe design can make the difference between passing certification or not. That being said, it doesn't mean you can't get cross-overs to be beneficial in other areas of hp/tq as well. We've designed systems over the years with cross-overs and had excellent results in all areas. We utilize them alot when we design racecar exhaust systems for both torque and sound benefits. It really just depends on what you are trying to accomplish and how. At the end of the day, we look at all ideas and then sort them out on the dyno, sound meter, and actual riding conditions. That pretty much puts all the theory ideas to rest.