ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > 2008 - 2012 Ninja 250R > 2008 - 2012 Ninja 250R Tech Talk

Old January 17th, 2009, 09:39 AM   #1
noche_caliente
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Kim

Motorcycle(s): '08 250

Red face Ooops

Didn't want to threadjack the fender mod post anymore, but thought sharing these pics might help a little for new riders who may sadly find themselves in a similar place of putting their bike back together...

Quote:
Originally Posted by kazam58 View Post
^ Putting on a new pipe...?
Sadly, no. That was after my little incident.... the impact popped the can right off of the pipe

From another thread - here's the short version
Quote:
Originally Posted by noche_caliente View Post
well, I have no clue what mine looked like, but I was able to get out of a tank slapper the second day I had my bike, unfortunately, I couldn't get out of the object fixation that followed and ended up running into a fence

I was making a left-hand turn off of a rural road that drops about feet in the feet leading up to the stop sign. The road I was turning onto had a 45 mph limit, though folks are usually speeding a good bit there, and the stop sign is slightly hidden at the end of a long curve. To further compound things, there was a ridge where the pavements meet, and a good bit of gravel just to my left that I didn't notice at the time... the road was tar and gravel, and upon subsequent inspection of the site, i realized that the gravel part had been kicked out to the sides, leaving only tar where I was stopped. As I hadn't really heard or thought about shimming at that point, the bike was terribly lean and rather erratic when trying to take-off from a stop.

All of these factors led to a tank slapper when I got onto the road - but hey, I didn't stall that time - I was terrified, but managed to get it under control after the third oscillation or so.... I think if I hadn't fixated on that fence post (it was the corner) I would have come out of it just fine.... but all the if-onlies don't change a thing sadly

Good news is that a few months of healing time for the knee and some great getting-to-know-you sessions with my naked girlie, everything turned out just fine, and now I know her so much better than before
And here's a really blurry pic of where it happened:

The leftmost red arrow is the fence post that I made friends with that day, the other two show where the gravel was, the yellow line shows the yellow line, and I'm not sure what the red line was, though between the red and yellow, you can see where the gravel was stripped to leave only tar. What was kind of humorous to me was that when we went to take that picture, my husband's car couldn't keep traction to get out of there either, and his tires spun and then grabbed pretty roughly....

That was in the repair stage - there are before pics here.

A couple of the better ones are below, along with some of the repaired pics.

And we can't forget the damage to me

(the swelling the day after)

(that one was 2 days later, shows the tone of the bruising a bit better though)

Last futzed with by noche_caliente; January 17th, 2009 at 01:12 PM.
noche_caliente is offline   Reply With Quote

Old January 17th, 2009, 10:59 AM   #2
kkim

noche... not to add insult to injury, but could you comment on leg protection that you were wearing at the time of the "oops"? Glad to hear the knees have been recently given an improved prognosis that was previously diagnosed.
kkim is offline   Reply With Quote

Old January 17th, 2009, 12:01 PM   #3
Kurosaki
Akai Suisei - 赤い彗星

Name: Joseph

Motorcycle(s): 08 Kurosaki 250, 09 Honda 600RawrRawr

I've been there too...

Felt good to put it all back together though, eh?
Kurosaki is offline   Reply With Quote

Old January 17th, 2009, 01:01 PM   #4
noche_caliente
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Kim

Motorcycle(s): '08 250

Quote:
Originally Posted by kkim View Post
noche... not to add insult to injury, but could you comment on leg protection that you were wearing at the time of the "oops"? Glad to hear the knees have been recently given an improved prognosis that was previously diagnosed.
Don't mind at all - that's why I posted it up, so that folks could see and learn from it. I will likely copy the story over as well at some point in the future.

The gear I was wearing at the time can be seen here - this was a silly pic we took while waiting for the bike to finally come in...

Which can all be found in the What's in your closet thread, along with more recent gear....
Quote:
Originally Posted by noche_caliente View Post
Helmet[/U]
Scorpion EXO 400 Paradise

http://www.rockheadbikes.com/Product...nexo400prdssky

Joe Rocket Cleo 2

http://www.newenough.com/protective_...le_jacket.html

Pants
Joe Rocket Cleo

http://www.newenough.com/protective_...cle_pants.html
Scorpion Cool Hand Mesh - didn't hold up very well, but SUPER comfortable...

http://www.newenough.com/gloves/stre...le_gloves.html
Pants were Joe Rocket Cleo - held up beautifully - only problem was that they didn't have any armor on the inside of my knee where it got hit. I still don't know if it was the fence or the bike that got me, I only know that a very large-force blow to the inside of my knee caused me to tear my LCL (the ligament on the outside of the knee - lateral collateral ligament) and my meniscus... the swelling is from that damage, the bruising is mostly from the impact. I honestly believe that it wold have been MUCH worse if I hadn't had the knee armor, as it helped quite a bit in keeping my knee where it should be - it wasn't until I was trying to remove my riding pants that I realized the extent of the damage. I had even tried to pick her up using the 'back-up' method, but as she was nearly upside down in a ditch, that didn't work!

These two pics from New Enough show the armor in them:

The only scratch on my body came from the failure of the Scorpion Cool Hand Mesh gloves that I was wearing. Still love them for comfort, but not so much for protection.

And here are more pictures of my injuries

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kurosaki View Post
I've been there too...

Felt good to put it all back together though, eh?
I feel much more confident in working on the bike after taking her apart and fixing her myself! I had my husband help on the things that I was physically unable to do because of my injuries, but I can honestly say that I did all of the work myself!
noche_caliente is offline   Reply With Quote

Old January 17th, 2009, 04:50 PM   #5
kazam58
Sarcasm: Yea that'll work

Name: Andy

Motorcycle(s): '08 Ninja 250R

ooowww! that hurts just looking at it! I'm very sorry for what happened and I'm glad you're doing better. It's a good thing you were all geared up, I can't imagine what you would like like without it! I once had my knee look exactly like yours from a ski racing incident, only I was extremely lucky not to tear anything. Again, I'm glad to hear that you and the bike are okay now, be safe!
kazam58 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old January 27th, 2009, 01:15 AM   #6
aloh
lolwut

Name: Alex

Motorcycle(s): 2008 Kawasaki Ninja 250R

oh man...that looks painful! I hope you heal up quick.