ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > 2008 - 2012 Ninja 250R > 2008 - 2012 Ninja 250R Tech Talk

Old February 15th, 2013, 06:53 PM   #1
jwollam
ninjette.org member

Name: John

Motorcycle(s): 2008 Ninja 250R

Leave the airbox in???

So I called down to our local motorcycle shop (Apex motosport in Chico, Ca.). I wanted to get an idea of what dyno tuning would cost, as well as get some scheduled to get my bike dialed in.

I explained to the guy on the phone what has currently been done to the bike (airbox removed, K&N Pod filter, full area p, jetted carbs, etc...) The owner of the shop (Gary I think his name was?) Anyways, the guy is very well known around this area for being a top notch tuner, and one of the best in the area.

Gary didn't seem too big on the pod filters due to the ninja having constant velocity carbs, I was a bit surprised when he said the best thing to do is put the factory airbox back in.

I respect this guy, he's very well known around this area, and personally recommended by a few friends of mine. But two things... 1. I really don't want to go through the hassle of putting that factory airbox back in. and # 2. I would really like a second opinion.
Should I have him tune the bike as is (pod filter, no airbox) or would I be better off putting the factory box back in?
jwollam is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 15th, 2013, 07:03 PM   #2
DaBlue1
Long Time Rider

Name: Blue

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Kawasaki Ninja 250R

If his name is Carry Andrew...yes!

http://www.sportrider.com/features/1...#ixzz1smgkzGhI

You can get just about the same result (HP & torque) with stock (or smaller jets) an airbox and full exhaust as you can with larger jets, pods and a full exhaust.
DaBlue1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 15th, 2013, 07:22 PM   #3
rickthefix
Crashing sux

Name: Rick

Motorcycle(s): 07 EX250, 04 ZX6R, 96 Vulcan EN500, 79 XS650-SF, 80 TS185

put air box back in, install a better breathing filter, aftermarket exhaust & then get the carbs tuned with jetting
rickthefix is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 15th, 2013, 07:53 PM   #4
alex.s
wat

Name: wat

Motorcycle(s): wat

MOTM - Oct '12, Feb '14
Airbox with no snorkel is the best

Old February 15th, 2013, 07:59 PM   #5
TheDementedDrummer
Present. Somewhat.

Name: Neel

Motorcycle(s): 2012 KTM Duke 200, 2011 Ninja 250r, 2011 Ducati Monster 796, 2014 Kawasaki ZX10r

Would it be the same with the FI bike?

Old February 15th, 2013, 08:33 PM   #6
Racer x
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Eric

Motorcycle(s): 2008 Kawmeracchi 350 2010 Project X

MOTM - Sep '18, Feb '16
+1 for the air box. But jetting the carbs with it in place is difficult. Easy way for the dyno guy is if you strip the whole back of the bike. That way he can pull it in and out easy and save you time and money.
Also pod filters are loud.

Old February 16th, 2013, 02:15 AM   #7
Jiggles
Jigglin' your Jiglets

Name: Sean

Motorcycle(s): 2009 K1300S, 2013 Ninja 300, 2011 Ninja 250R, Faster than Unregistered's ninjette

MOTM - Apr '13
Your best option would be to design some custom velocity stacks
AFM #676
Supersports are for n00bs
Jiggles is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 16th, 2013, 03:46 AM   #8
Somchai
Freedom for Germany

Motorcycle(s): Ninja 250R-FI

Simple answer: YES
And about the snorkel in FI-Bikes look here (post #100 from kbryant) http://www.ninjette.org/forums/showt...ht=area&page=3
2. Removing the airbox intake snorkel does nothing, other than increase the exhaust note (and you can actually hear it above the exhaust note). And truly we noted consistent losses in power. It is not recommended without being able to adjust the A/F curve. So if you "feel" it is producing more power, this is what we refer to as "emotional horsepower".
Somchai is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 16th, 2013, 05:40 AM   #9
mgentz
Board Member

Name: ...

Motorcycle(s): 250R (street), 250R (dirt)

If you're trying for all top end, most HP possible, the pod is good. If you want some low-mid, and still get the top, keep the box. I am building a mid-top superbike motor and I am keeping the airbox, but I have modified it by cutting in some bigger holes at the far back end. The resonance of the three sides of the airbox, along with the factory designed intake runners should prove to be pretty effective for this goal.

But it does make jetting and maintanence a PITA.
mgentz is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 16th, 2013, 06:12 AM   #10
Motofool
Daily Ninjette rider

Name: Hernan

Motorcycle(s): 2007 Ninja 250

MOTY - 2016, MOTM - Dec '12, Jan '14, Jan '15, May '16
Quote:
Originally Posted by jwollam View Post
..........and # 2. I would really like a second opinion......
Sell the 2008 Ninja 250R and buy a bike with higher c.c.'s.

Avoid putting more stress on the parts of a little engine manufactured six years ago.
Motofool is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 16th, 2013, 06:40 PM   #11
choneofakind
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: .

Motorcycle(s): .

MOTM - Feb '13, Feb '14
I say if the dyno guy says to keep the airbox, keep the thing.

I've seen some of the dyno charts from racers with airboxes, and they are impressive. Remember that the airbox is intended to keep a large volume of air to deliver smooth incoming air. It also is tuned to deliver resonances through the intake at a designated rpm that boost power.

As for removing the snorkel, post #100 by Kerry from Area P in the thread about the exhaust for the 300 was warning about removing the snorkel without adjusting the fueling. Of course that will produce less power.

Take the snorkel out, put in a high flow drop-in filter, and let the dyno guy have at it. I'm sure you'll get satisfactory results once he's done doing his thing on the dyno.
choneofakind is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 17th, 2013, 02:00 PM   #12
jwollam
ninjette.org member

Name: John

Motorcycle(s): 2008 Ninja 250R

Looks like next weekend I'm putting the stock airbox back in (I really like the look of that big K&N filter sitting behind the side covers lol). Any advice on what jets to throw in there to get it close so I can ride it over to the shop so he can have at it? Just put the stock jets back in?

I can't thank y'all enough for all of the help, unfortunately my work schedule can get pretty demanding which really cuts down on any test and tune to figure out what works. Your combined wisdom is a huge asset, thank you!
I just want to get out and ride
jwollam is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 17th, 2013, 02:11 PM   #13
DaBlue1
Long Time Rider

Name: Blue

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Kawasaki Ninja 250R

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwollam View Post
... Any advice on what jets to throw in there to get it close so I can ride it over to the shop so he can have at it? Just put the stock jets back in?
Stock jets will work fine.

Check this thread. http://www.ninjette.org/forums/showthread.php?t=102408
DaBlue1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 18th, 2013, 10:04 AM   #14
msebastian
ninjette.org guru

Name: Michael

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Ninja 250R SE

I have k&n airpod on my bike but really had no say in the matter since that is how I bought the bike. Is it wise to get a airbox off of ebay and throw it in or just stick with the pods. Not trying to hijack, just did not want to start a new thread.
msebastian is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 18th, 2013, 12:23 PM   #15
LoD575
ninjette.org sage

Name: Steve

Motorcycle(s): 2012 Ninja 250, 2006 Ninja ZX6R-636

I will be putting the factory airbox minus snorkel back in this spring with a Pipercross filter.
LoD575 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 11th, 2013, 04:42 PM   #16
nikreinert
ninjette.org newbie

Name: Nik

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Ninja 250R

I was thinking about this today. What would happen if you got a set of velocity stacks and shimmied them into a pod filter. I'm sure there would be a performance loss, but would it be that great? I guess it comes down to how big the filter pod would need to be to not affect the flow.
nikreinert is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 11th, 2013, 05:21 PM   #17
alex.s
wat

Name: wat

Motorcycle(s): wat

MOTM - Oct '12, Feb '14
why do you guys want to get rid of the airbox so bad? it does nothing but beneficial effects to the engine. it cleans the air well, keeps liquid out well, you aren't going to get better performance by removing the airbox...