ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > General > Motorcycle Gear

Old July 2nd, 2013, 12:52 PM   #1
JBizzle
Squid Hunter

Name: Alex

Motorcycle(s): '08 250R and '13 ZX-6R

Cool Helmet Review: Icon Airmada "Stack" Hi-Viz

Earlier this afternoon I got a wonderful phone call I've been waiting all weekend for! It was the local motorcycle dealership calling to let me know that my new helmet came in and was ready for me to pickup

I am moving up to college in Orlando in a month and wanted a hi-viz helmet for cruising around campus, something that also can keep me cool in the brutal Florida heat. I also wanted something a bit cheaper than my $500 shoei for going to class with in the event that I drop it, lose it, get it stolen or have it spontaneously combust.

I ordered the Icon Airmada Stack in the Hi-Viz Yellow. At first I was nervous on how bright it would be because all of the photos I've seen online look pretty dull and not very hi-viz.

The color is awesome though, great classic hi-viz yellow (not sure why they would put ****** pictures online?)

For the past month or two I've been wearing a Shoei RF-1100 (Gloss Black) everyday and was also worried about being spoiled by such a nice helmet.

Prior to ordering it I read online that the neck hole is smaller to create a tighter fit and cut down on wind noise. This makes it a little tougher to get on and off but once it's on it's snug and fits perfect. Pretty comfortable on my head, I wear a size Large Shoei and ordered the Airmada in a size Large. It's a bit more snug than my Shoei but probably because I've worn it for a grand total of an hour, should loosen up as I break it in. Still very comfortable though, If the Shoei's comfort is a 10/10 I'd give the Airmada a solid 9 out of the box.

In terms of quality everything is great but you'll notice that the padding inside isn't as soft and plush like the Shoei, same with the strap and snap thing for the strap. The shield is pretty tight once it's locked down but it's still not broken in so time will tell. Shoei's Shield-Release tabs are a bit nicer, higher quality comes with the higher price. Overall it still comes pretty close.

This helmet weighs a bit more but it's not too bad. Very comfortable when riding, flows a ton of air and keeps me cooler than the Shoei. The field of view on this thing is great, no blind spots whatsoever. It's not quite as aerodynamic as the Shoei. I got up to an indicated 80mph while riding today and did some headchecks and noticed a bit more wind catching on the helmet but nothing major that would affect my riding at all.

I really like this helmet so far and for the price it's great. I've found the plain black Airmada online for $180 vs the RF-1100 for $396. I'm not saying the Airmada is better or anything, but the comfort and quality come close to keeping up with Shoei at just under half the price. I still love my Shoei don't get me wrong, but for a cheaper helmet this thing's tough to beat.

Attached are some crappy pictures I took trying to capture the color a little bit better than the photos on RevZilla/MSS/STG (Pics still don't do the color much justice, looks awesome in person). Got a dark smoke shield for $40 for it.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1.jpg (86.3 KB, 5 views)
File Type: jpg 2.jpg (81.3 KB, 6 views)
File Type: jpg 3.jpg (88.8 KB, 4 views)
File Type: jpg 4.jpg (80.5 KB, 3 views)

Old July 2nd, 2013, 01:22 PM   #2
Falcor
The Luck Dragon

Name: William

Motorcycle(s): 2013 Ninja ZX-6R B/W

I love my Airmada as well, I have the white base with stack graphics and the silver reflective shield.

My only beef with the helmet is that the top left and right side of the shield does not come into full contact with the rubber around the shield opening so when it rains hard water can get in there.
Falcor is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 2nd, 2013, 10:55 PM   #3
JBizzle
Squid Hunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Falcor View Post
I love my Airmada as well, I have the white base with stack graphics and the silver reflective shield.

My only beef with the helmet is that the top left and right side of the shield does not come into full contact with the rubber around the shield opening so when it rains hard water can get in there.
I haven't had the pleasure of riding in the rain with it yet...

Holy crap you live right near me I'm in Jensen Beach, think I saw you going down Kanner highway recently?

Old July 3rd, 2013, 05:19 AM   #4
Falcor
The Luck Dragon

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBizzle View Post
I haven't had the pleasure of riding in the rain with it yet...

Holy crap you live right near me I'm in Jensen Beach, think I saw you going down Kanner highway recently?
I actually live in Jensen Beach now, just got a new apartment a month ago. Forgot to change my location .

I haven't been down Kanner in a while though. But if it was a red SE with my helmet and a Dainese black/white/red jacket then it was without a doubt me lol.

Old July 7th, 2013, 10:50 AM   #5
JBizzle
Squid Hunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Falcor View Post
I actually live in Jensen Beach now, just got a new apartment a month ago. Forgot to change my location .

I haven't been down Kanner in a while though. But if it was a red SE with my helmet and a Dainese black/white/red jacket then it was without a doubt me lol.
I think I saw you yesterday pulling out onto Jensen Beach Blvd. squidding it up in a t shirt and jeans with a passenger on the back

Old July 7th, 2013, 11:10 AM   #6
Falcor
The Luck Dragon

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBizzle View Post
I think I saw you yesterday pulling out onto Jensen Beach Blvd. squidding it up in a t shirt and jeans with a passenger on the back
Yep. That'd be me.