ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > General > Ninjettes At Speed

Old August 5th, 2013, 10:49 AM   #1
cuong-nutz
RIP Alex

Name: Cuong

Motorcycle(s): '10 250r, '09 265r

How do your rearsets and frame hold up to crashing?

Played in the rain on the track and lost the rear. Mangled my rearsets and twisted the frame where it mounts. Could have been avoided wrecking if I wasn't pushing it so much or just not rode at all

Anyways, I was wondering what brands others are using and how well they hold up to crashing along with the frame. I am considering beefing up the frame or just finding better rearsets that hold up better. Is it better to rearsets that bend vs stiffer rearsets that resist better to bending? I was thinking my cheapy X-race faired decent since it just kind of folded on it's self vs ripping off from the frame when hit caught the curbing.

Here's my X-Race cruiser rearset after a slow lowside:

Old August 5th, 2013, 11:05 AM   #2
zvonler
ninjette.org member

Name: Zach

Motorcycle(s): 250R

Our endurance race bike went down once on each side in the last MSR round, both times in/near T3, the slowest turn on the track. We're using Woodcraft rearsets. On the right side, the footpeg bent its mounting bolt, and the heel guard bent a bit (1/2" off) but was straighten-able in the vise. On the left side, the heel guard bent similarly, but it also tweaked the mounting holes in the frame. I was able to straighten the mounting holes by putting a wrench over the installed heel guard and pulling very carefully, and then able to straighten the heel guard in the vise. All in all, I think our Woodcrafts held up better than your rearsets, but making the rearsets/heel guard stronger probably means more force gets transmitted to the frame.
zvonler is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 5th, 2013, 11:21 AM   #3
lgk
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Jason

Motorcycle(s): 2012 EX250, 2014 EX300

my woodcrafts held up well in my low speed gravel wreck.
the thickness of the mounting plate is just about perfect.

Old August 5th, 2013, 11:53 AM   #4
csmith12
The Corner Whisperer

Name: Chris (aka Reactor)

Motorcycle(s): 2010 250 (track), 1992 250, 2006 R6 (street/track), 2008 R6 (track)

MOTY 2015, MOTM - Nov '12, Nov '13
80+mph front tuck and woodcraft held up flawlessly, just ground about 1/4 inch off the peg.
csmith12 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 5th, 2013, 11:58 AM   #5
Nemesis
CVMA #74 WSMC #750

Name: Nemesis

Motorcycle(s): All of them

The rearsets aren't the issue...it's the frame where the rearsets mount to that's soft/weak/etc.

However, being that they're that soft allows us to bend them back in place with a pry bar. Woot!

Old August 5th, 2013, 05:48 PM   #6
rc-rick
ninjette.org member

Name: Rick

Motorcycle(s): '09 ZX6 (street), '04 RC51 (street/track), '08 Ninja 250 (race)

I have the SVracingparts rear sets. I had a low sideon the right in the rain while racing which ripped everything off except the riser plate and of course the frame bent. The weak point on those rear sets are a single bolt which holds the assembly to the riser plate. Meh, I kinda knew the frame was a weak point and will be reenforcing it this winter.

Now, here is my complaint about the customer service of SVracingparts. After the crash, I emailed them about replacement rear sets initially wanting a full set plus replacement parts for the right side. Then I thought it would be a little cheaper if I bought just the parts except the riser plates. Someone from there called me to make sure of what I wanted, which was everything except the riser plate. I paid 285 for the replacement parts which I thought was EVERYTHING except the riser plate. I went to assemble the rearset but noticed I was missing an insert for the bolt/pedal/foot peg which is needed. I sent another email explaining I didn't get the inserts. I was told those are "rarely" damaged and were not included in my order. They would cost me an extra $45 plus $6.95 in shipping for the three inserts.

I tried explaining I wanted EVERYTHING but the riser plate in following emails and felt like I should not have to pay an additional price. In the end, I was sent ONE insert. Also, I as not sent the shift linkage arm with what I ordered. Once again, I wanted EVERYTHING except the riser plates and did not get what I wanted. In the end, I could have ordered a full set plus a right side for the same price. I don't mind paying a little more to help out someone who is trying to help out us , the riders. But, when I don't get everything I have asked for then get told I would have to pay more to get what I explained I wanted, I won't do business with that company anymore.

For those thinking about SVracingparts rear sets, don't buy them. Pay a little more to buy Woodcraft instead, better build quality and customer service.
rc-rick is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 7th, 2013, 10:23 AM   #7
htdub
ninjette.org member

Name: Hien

Motorcycle(s): triumph

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nemesis View Post
The rearsets aren't the issue...it's the frame where the rearsets mount to that's soft/weak/etc.

However, being that they're that soft allows us to bend them back in place with a pry bar. Woot!
I've seen alot of 250's crash, almost all have required some pry bar work to get the frame mount back. Woodcrafts, svracing rearsets have all been tweaked, fixed and back running. Low speed, high speed etc.

Extra parts to repair rearsets and clipons are mandatory for trackday/race.

I've gone to really short pegs along with others at the track and noticed it helps alot, less leverage on the rearsets when it does go down.
htdub is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 7th, 2013, 10:56 AM   #8
Nemesis
CVMA #74 WSMC #750

Quote:
Originally Posted by htdub View Post
I've seen alot of 250's crash, almost all have required some pry bar work to get the frame mount back. Woodcrafts, svracing rearsets have all been tweaked, fixed and back running. Low speed, high speed etc.

Extra parts to repair rearsets and clipons are mandatory for trackday/race.

I've gone to really short pegs along with others at the track and noticed it helps alot, less leverage on the rearsets when it does go down.
Yup which is why I highly recommend the Sato knockoffs on Ebay. Best bang for the buck IMHO.

Old August 7th, 2013, 11:09 AM   #9
dino74

Name: dino

Motorcycle(s): '09 250 Street, '09 250 Race, '13 300 Race

Quote:
Yup which is why I highly recommend the Sato knockoffs on Ebay. Best bang for the buck IMHO.
I like getting the ones with the fold up pegs.
CVMA #55
dino74 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 7th, 2013, 11:25 AM   #10
Trailerboy531
Gear crash test dummy

Name: Max

Motorcycle(s): 2010 Ninja 250 race bike, 2014 ZX-636r

Quote:
Are these bohemian ones or just lame ol' chinese ones? Link?
CVMA #531
Trailerboy531 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 7th, 2013, 11:31 AM   #11
Nemesis
CVMA #74 WSMC #750

The bohemian ones are the same ones sold by Thailand on Ebay which are knockoffs of Sato rearsets...which really aren't knockoffs since all Sato does is use the same exact ones and stamp it with their name.

Old August 11th, 2013, 05:43 PM   #12
Foxrider64
Hello Moto

Name: Alex

Motorcycle(s): 1975 RD350; 2001 KX125; 2003 Z1000; 2003 KDX50; 2009 ZX6R; 2011 Ninja 250R; 2014 KX250F

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trailerboy531 View Post
Are these bohemian ones or just lame ol' chinese ones? Link?
Agreed. There are several that resemble the satos. Which one are you talking about?

I need to upgrade from my stock pegs- they are awful in the rain too by the way
Foxrider64 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 16th, 2013, 08:24 PM   #13
bitaria
ninjette.org member

Name: Oleg

Motorcycle(s): CRF450X, CRF250R/SM, Husky 630 SMS, Ninja 250R

Interested as well.

Did a quick search and see lots of these variations
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Kawasaki-Nin...5463c9&vxp=mtr

Spoke with a mechanic who has tons of experience with 250 race bikes. His recommendation was to reinforce the frame around the mounting points. Downside is that more energy can be transferred up and cause the frame to get out of shape elsewhere.
bitaria is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 22nd, 2013, 08:18 AM   #14
SPG
ninjette.org member

Name: Sean

Motorcycle(s): 250 Ninjette

If you unbolt the rearset from the frame, you will see that the portion of the frame where the bolts go is recessed. I took a piece of 1/8 x 1 inch cold rolled steel, and cut it to fit into these recesses and then drilled holes for the mounting bolts to go. Once I cleaned everything up, I bolted the plates in place and welded the perimeter. This made a bead on the outboard side of the top, front, and bottom side of the insert, and then on the inboard side of the back of the insert.

This insert stiffens up the mounting point and keeps the threaded inserts from ripping out like little volcanos. It also moves the load bearing pivot further back from the bolts which reduces the leverage that the rearset has on the threaded portion of the frame.

All in all, an easy project and it has held up very well in crashes. I spent a long time trying to figure how I wanted to reinforce this area, and this ended up being the cleanest/fastest/easiest way I could come up with.

-Sean
SPG is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 22nd, 2013, 08:50 AM   #15
cuong-nutz
RIP Alex

Quote:
Originally Posted by SPG View Post
If you unbolt the rearset from the frame, you will see that the portion of the frame where the bolts go is recessed. I took a piece of 1/8 x 1 inch cold rolled steel, and cut it to fit into these recesses and then drilled holes for the mounting bolts to go. Once I cleaned everything up, I bolted the plates in place and welded the perimeter. This made a bead on the outboard side of the top, front, and bottom side of the insert, and then on the inboard side of the back of the insert.

This insert stiffens up the mounting point and keeps the threaded inserts from ripping out like little volcanos. It also moves the load bearing pivot further back from the bolts which reduces the leverage that the rearset has on the threaded portion of the frame.

All in all, an easy project and it has held up very well in crashes. I spent a long time trying to figure how I wanted to reinforce this area, and this ended up being the cleanest/fastest/easiest way I could come up with.

-Sean
The only negative thing I can see with this is that the rearsets are farther away from the bike's centerline. Might just have to cut off some more foot peg. lol.

Old August 22nd, 2013, 11:07 AM   #16
htdub
ninjette.org member

That seems like a good idea, any chance you can post up photos of your setup Sean?

cheers

Old August 22nd, 2013, 06:48 PM   #17
bitaria
ninjette.org member

A few pictures of this would be awesome!

Quote:

-Sean

Old September 13th, 2013, 08:52 PM   #18
htdub
ninjette.org member

Would folding pegs help vs the solid pegs?

Old September 17th, 2013, 09:38 AM   #19
mwirrick
ninjette.org member

Name: Mike

Motorcycle(s): 2008 Ninja 250, Concours, 2009 FZ1, 2007 BMW G650X Challenge, 1997 Ducati 900SS, SP

Crash damage

I just low sided my 250 at the track last weekend, on the right side. I have Woodcraft pegs, the slightly older style, and it was ground down significantly, but no damage occurred to the bracket. The sliders are Shogun and worked outstandingly. The bolt was bent, and the slider ground down a bunch, but not a spec of damage to the bodywork, frame, clipons, etc. All I have to replace is the peg and slider. And Woodcraft now has pegs that are designed to snap off at the half way point, leaving enough peg to soldier on with, if need be or so inclined. I think I got pretty lucky on this one.

Old October 15th, 2013, 09:05 PM   #20
abhijitz
ninjette.org sage

Name: Abhijit

Motorcycle(s): Many Two Wheels ..

Would you have a picture of this?

Quote:

-Sean
[ex-AFM #828 | SMUSA #828 |
Sponsors : MotionPro | LeoVince | Insurrection Racing Gloves | QstarZ Laptimers
+ OEM Parts @ 30-40% OFF : Harry @ 1-877-437-1631,17 harry@hondaeasttoledo.com
abhijitz is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 21st, 2013, 10:15 AM   #21
simook
ninjette.org member

Name: Kyle

Motorcycle(s): 2008 Ninja 250R

+1 for pictures
simook is offline   Reply With Quote

Old November 6th, 2013, 03:40 PM   #22
thumper64
ninjette.org member

Name: Tim

Motorcycle(s): Ninja 250

I'm trying not to make new/unnecessary threads, so this seems an appropriate place to ask this.

In the event your frame is bent or cracked in a wreck, and you aren't forced to total it, can you simply replace the frame? I have seen frames for bigger bikes without a VIN stamped on them, so i assume that must be what they're for... To keep a bike ridable, it would be safer to replace a bad frame with a known safe one instead of trusting mine or someone else's welding I wouldn't trust my life to.

Follow up question: Would the frame on a pregen have to be replaced with another pregen frame? What about a newgen frame since it's stiffer?

Old November 6th, 2013, 03:45 PM   #23
alex.s
wat

Name: wat

Motorcycle(s): wat

MOTM - Oct '12, Feb '14
legally? no. the frame is the vehicle. everything else attaches to the vehicle. new frame, new vehicle.

every frame has a vin. if it doesn't have a vin, the vin was illegally removed, or the frame is not certified to be street legal and the creator didn't have a manufacturers id which means they didn't have any vins to put on the frame. "one-off" custom frame.

Old November 6th, 2013, 04:13 PM   #24
bitaria
ninjette.org member

Quote:
Originally Posted by alex.s View Post
legally? no. the frame is the vehicle. everything else attaches to the vehicle. new frame, new vehicle.

every frame has a vin. if it doesn't have a vin, the vin was illegally removed, or the frame is not certified to be street legal and the creator didn't have a manufacturers id which means they didn't have any vins to put on the frame. "one-off" custom frame.
This is not the case, frames do exist without VINs, and can be had from the dealer. Often race bikes will get frames like that (mind you the frame is the same as a regular one, nothing special), just ordered with no VIN.
Used to be able to get a new blank frame, bring in the headstock from a crashed bike (VIN is on the head) and have VIN legally stamped onto the blank frame.

That said, if you messed up the frame I would get one from eBay and swap over all the other components. Yes, numbers on the engine and the frame will not match, but how much do you care about that?

Old November 6th, 2013, 04:41 PM   #25
alex.s
wat

MOTM - Oct '12, Feb '14
go try to register the bike. what do they ask for? the vin number. doesn't have a vin number? its not built by a licensed manufacturer for legal use on the street. if the frame is meant for DOT use, it has a vin number. these laws exist to try to curb chop shops.

modifying a vin plate is illegal. moving a vin plate from one frame to another is illegal since you are modifying the vin plate.

yes some frames are built with no intention of ever touching the street. so theres no point putting a vin on them.

Old November 6th, 2013, 06:44 PM   #26
bitaria
ninjette.org member

Quote:
go try to register the bike. what do they ask for? the vin number. doesn't have a vin number? its not built by a licensed manufacturer for legal use on the street. if the frame is meant for DOT use, it has a vin number. these laws exist to try to curb chop shops.

modifying a vin plate is illegal. moving a vin plate from one frame to another is illegal since you are modifying the vin plate.

yes some frames are built with no intention of ever touching the street. so theres no point putting a vin on them.
You cannot stamp a number on the frame, but the dealer or state patrol can.

Old November 6th, 2013, 07:04 PM   #27
dino74

Name: dino

Motorcycle(s): '09 250 Street, '09 250 Race, '13 300 Race

Quote:
the frame is the vehicle. everything else attaches to the vehicle. new frame, new vehicle.
not quite true, the engine is also special.

From http://www.dmv.ca.gov/pubs/reg_hdbk/ch22/ch22_13.htm

Engine changes and engine case changes must be reported to the department within 10 days.
CVMA #55
dino74 is offline   Reply With Quote

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.
Old November 7th, 2013, 10:29 AM   #28
cuong-nutz
RIP Alex

Here's what a buddy did with buckled and ripped out frame:

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.
Old November 7th, 2013, 11:10 AM   #29
bitaria
ninjette.org member

That weld looks a bit sketch...

Quote:
Originally Posted by cuong-nutz View Post
Here's what a buddy did with buckled and ripped out frame:

Old November 7th, 2013, 11:14 AM   #30
alex.s
wat

MOTM - Oct '12, Feb '14
it aint pretty but it looks plenty strong. probably more steel there than before...

4 out of 4 members found this post helpful.